Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Motor Mounts

Hello, I drive a 2007 X3 and I have bad motor mounts. What I need to know is how many do I have two or four and how difficult are they to change? Also a tool list. Thanks in advanced
Ads by Google
Old 04-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
10 minute swap video

time yourself!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 07 e83 3.0si
Lots of info on this thread. Seems to be fairly common. Two mounts. Difficulty seems to depend on if the bolts snap off in block or not...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=528870
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmx3 View Post
Hello, I drive a 2007 X3 and I have bad motor mounts. What I need to know is how many do I have two or four and how difficult are they to change? Also a tool list. Thanks in advanced
Who told you that you have bad motor mounts and did they take off the bottom plastic shield to actually take a look at them? I had 2 of the 4 motor mount mount bolts broken off and from driving there was no way I could tell, it was only at an oil change and the plastic shield was removed did I see the broken motor mount bolts. When I just got all this fixed at the dealer I asked about changing out the motor mounts and they said why the motor mounts are fine. I have 78k miles on mine and it's taken a beating this year on the Chicago area potholes.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 AM

I took it to a mechanic cause it started vibrating when I stop in drive. He told me that my engine was fine he hooked a dyno to it and said it was my motor mounts. He didn't even get under the car I don't think. So it could be just the bolts? Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM

safety

in that vid I posted don't forget the safety comments on fingers etc

not even the fastest illusionist could get his hands out of the way of a collapsing single point unattached jack or extension from the jack

it's just as easy to hook the engine up from the top with a strap/shackle/bridge affair and be ultra low risk

same of course goes for any jacking job .....always best to have the car on stands after jacking and never any body parts in there when jacking up at anytime

for partially sheared off engine etc mount bolts we have used a small multi jaw self centering tap wrench to grip the bust stud and tease it out

Last edited by swampX3; 04-07-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: tips
Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM

thanks again. the only thing I'm confused on is how there are 4 motor mount bolts but only two motor mounts? As you can see this is my first time having motor mount issues.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM

a tool for you

lots of folks use a kit like this if there's no hoist available

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9403_200309403

also .....have you put your VIN into REAL OEM .com and laid hands on what your vehicle has for certain ?????
Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
You need to go to that thread oldschool listed above and read every post beginning to end, and then find a mechanic who can lift the car take the plastic shield off and see if the bolts are snapped. Vibrating in drive has never been directly attributed to broken engine mount bolts and it may be other things as well as bad motor mounts or broken bolts. The first thing you need to find out is if the mounts are just bad or are the bolts broken off in the block.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM

some REAL OEM help

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...95&hg=22&fg=05

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/d/191.png[/url]
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM

bolts or mounts

it could be a single mount or a single strut that mount attaches to with sheared bolts or and combo on either side or one side

call the tech that gave you the answer without maybe looking/prying on the mounts and struts .....offer him a shrimp poyboy , Italian salad and fries with gravy at R&O's in Bucktown for a better appraisal.....he really gotta get in there and pry/view before certain

getting in that location is pretty quick for a good tech
Old 04-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
You need to go to that thread oldschool listed above and read every post beginning to end, and then find a mechanic who can lift the car take the plastic shield off and see if the bolts are snapped. Vibrating in drive has never been directly attributed to broken engine mount bolts and it may be other things as well as bad motor mounts or broken bolts. The first thing you need to find out is if the mounts are just bad or are the bolts broken off in the block.
will do thanks.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampX3 View Post
it could be a single mount or a single strut that mount attaches to with sheared bolts or and combo on either side or one side

call the tech that gave you the answer without maybe looking/prying on the mounts and struts .....offer him a shrimp poyboy , Italian salad and fries with gravy at R&O's in Bucktown for a better appraisal.....he really gotta get in there and pry/view before certain

getting in that location is pretty quick for a good tech
LOL thanks you have been A huge help. I will investigate more before I jump into anything