Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 97 740i
Help! Steering locked

My 97 740i wont key on and start. The steering wont unlock and the key wont go the the 2position to start. I have looked up the removal procedure for the ignition switch and the lock cylinder. They are both removed but the steering is still locked. I dont have any manuals for this car and I need to figure it out. Anybody out there can point me in the right direction to unlock the wheel so I can drive it till I can get the parts to repair?
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
Is the car on Park?

So you can't turn the key to the second position, or start the car? And after you took the wheel lock cylinder out, the steering wheel still won't turn?

I'd make a guess that there is probably a solenoid that locks and unlocks the wheel according to what position the key is in, and since the key will not get to the second position, the lock is probably still activated. Since the lock cylinder is out of the car, check to see if there is a tab on it that blocks the wheel from moving. If there isn't, then there probably is a solenoid.

Maybe you need a new wheel lock cylinder.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:00 PM

wont turn

Yes the car is in park, I have removed the cable from the column and released the shifter to find out what it is. I can twist the slotted sleve inside the column without the key cylinder but the wheel wont unlock. I am not sure where this lock is. Near the steering wheel or down underneath on the column somewhere. Does anyone know where the actual lock mechanism is so maybe I can defeat it for the time being till I can get the parts?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
I don't know the location of the actual steering wheel lock, as I've never had to get into that area of this car. You might be able to get an exploded diagram from the dealer to help you out with the location. I'm confused why you would want to disable it though. How do you plan on starting the car if the key will not get to the second position?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM

I think the steering lock is the reason it wont go into the 2nd position. Hence I am trying to locate it and possibly get the car running again with minimal expense until I can get it fixed correctly. The ignition switch turns freely and lights the dash, radio and such. The ignition cylinder looks fine with no broken or terribly worn parts. The shaft that connects the 2 seems to be bound and the wheel locked.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM

740il wont start

I got past the steering locked issue and everything i read seemed to point to the ignition switch. The ignition would move to position 1 and 2 but key on wont energize the starter. I bought a new switch from Bavarian autosport. It didnít fix the problem and now the radio wonít turn on and the environmental controls just cycle on and off. Help! anyone seen this before?