Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
X5 Quality issues

BAD points
1. Squeaking Door Seals
2. Squeaking Glove box & rattles
3. wheel hubs rusting
4. Brake calipers rusting
5. poor ride Quality on 20 inch with sport suspension (non Adaptive)
6. M Sport pack prone to "Stone Pecking" no Warranty cover on paint damage. (not on mine thankfully)
7. Electrical system weak, prone to flat batteries, poor design for Software driven cut outs
8. Sat Nav does not allow for Several stops on route, only allows for A to B programming.
9. No cup holders in the Rear as Standard
10. Roller Blind deleted, from Standard
11. No Option to delete RFTs and go with non RFT tires (include spare)
12. Fuel consumption (can not get to Manuf claimed figures) even if I push it
13. Front Fender indicator repeater lamp on RHS fell out whilst driving home
dangled on the wire, chattered against the paint, and chipped the paint.
Dealer said, "sorry about that, will replace both of them, it's not the first time" WTF

Good points.
You tell me !!!
apart from those super good looks, and wheels so big it looks like a "Hot wheels" toy
everything has it's down points, but I'll try to look past them or fix them myself

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera

Last edited by Marlbro; 10-18-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: missed item 13
Ads by Google
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Sounds like you are regretting your choice and will no longer be purchasing BMW's in the future.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 10-18-2010, 06:57 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

I can see how you might think that !!

but if I were listing the faults I had on my Range Rover (back when BMW owned Land Rover) the list would be twice as long.

My gripe is that we have to give so much money out for average build Quality !
this is actually my 4th BMW, the others were all 3 series (German built)

I wonder if I had bought a Porche Cayenne if it would have been any better

Rear view camera

Last edited by Marlbro; 10-18-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Under bad points you forgot the rear bumper cover issue, under good points you forgot to add how it drives...
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Check out the new '11 Porsche Cayenne GTS for a comparo with your X5 on how it drives. I think you will be surprised at how well the Porsche performs.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Check out the new '11 Porsche Cayenne GTS for a comparo with your X5 on how it drives. I think you will be surprised at how well the Porsche performs.
You can't buy a 2011 Cayenne GTS. Only the old body style 2010 version. I did drive the new 2011 Cayenne S -- very impressive.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
BAD points
1. Squeaking Door Seals
3. wheel hubs rusting
4. Brake calipers rusting
5. poor ride Quality on 20 inch with sport suspension (non Adaptive)
6. M Sport pack prone to "Stone Pecking" no Warranty cover on paint damage. (not on mine thankfully)
7. Electrical system weak, prone to flat batteries, poor design for Software driven cut outs
8. Sat Nav does not allow for Several stops on route, only allows for A to B programming.
9. No cup holders in the Rear as Standard
10. Roller Blind deleted, from Standard
11. No Option to delete RFTs and go with non RFT tires (include spare)
Dealer said, "sorry about that, will replace both of them, it's not the first time" WTF

Good points.
You tell me !!!
apart from those super good looks, and wheels so big it looks like a "Hot wheels" toy
everything has it's down points, but I'll try to look past them or fix them myself
You don't say!
I had my rear windsheid glass pop into a million pieces during normal auto closing feature, on the 3rd day of my ownership. Dealer tried to fix it but the whole glass kept peeling away from the body panel. Later it started to rust!

Guess what?
I bought another 2011 X5....despite all of the above!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I'm pretty sure that the Professional sat nav allows multiple destinations to be set. After one enters the address, there's the option "Insert as additional point in itinerary" versus "Set as new destination".

The doors on the left side of my dad's X5 are a bit misaligned......the rubber molding makes it kind of obvious that the driver's door is set 1cm above the rear door.

And is everyone here satisfied with the Nevada leather? It feels rubbery and tacky to me, and would be a very good impersonation of Leatherette. Unfortunately, it should be other way around. And the door panels that are supposed to be leather feel even worse, like stitched vinyl. Maybe it was just a bad batch that got put on our car........
Old 10-18-2010, 02:29 PM

tw, sorry I knew that -- just forgot. Great cars aren't they?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
tw, sorry I knew that -- just forgot. Great cars aren't they?
Um yea. Trying to scheme how to convience the wife that a 3 month old car needs to be traded in for a Cayenne

Maybe just wait 2-3 years and grab a turbo for 50% less.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
ok, so help me out here...I am considering buying an X5M this week...I plan on keeping it for at least 4 years...am I on the wrong track or should I just go for the Cayenne?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Professional sat nav allows multiple destinations to be set. After one enters the address, there's the option "Insert as additional point in itinerary" versus "Set as new destination".
It's not really true multiple destinations -- they did an amateurish kludge to give the appearance of true multiple point destinations... at least on my 2010 X35d

What mine does when you try to add multiple points, is to simply tack multiple single destination trips end-to-end. It then shows the trips one by one as you reach the destinations entered. What this means is that you can really only get information to your next intermediate point, not to the final destination, e.g., how much time to your next point, but not how much time to your destination.

Not that the times matter that much, since the time my Nav computes are often ridiculous, e.g., assuming an average speed of 24 MPH to compute the destination time on paved state highways, showing a 250 mile trip will take more than 10 hours to complete.

Frankly, while the BMW Nav has a beautiful high resolution screen, the actual navigation is the worst I have ever seen in a GPS system for many years, and I have taken to using my $150 Garmin instead on trips.

BMW should be ashamed to put such a poor GPS in their vehicles.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
ok, so help me out here...I am considering buying an X5M this week...I plan on keeping it for at least 4 years...am I on the wrong track or should I just go for the Cayenne?
In an ideal world and everything being equal, jump for the Cayenne Turbo. However, Porsche really jacks up the price on the Turbo. Case in point the Cayenne S starts at $63k while the Tubro starts at $105k. Since its a Porsche, everything is an option too. And I mean everything. So look at easily spending 20k more on options. If Porsche could, they would charge extra for back seats, doors, windshield etc. Not to mention free service for 4 years. However, after driving the new Cayenne, I was extremely impressed with the build quality, fit and finish and interior materials used vs. the X5. Not hard to figure out which one came from Europe.

I drive the X5d and my boss drives the X5M and have spent plenty of time in the M. Both are great cars (Turbo and X5M), however, if I had to redo my decision - I would have bought the Cayenne S.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Zuma Man

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Build quality

My automobile ownership experiences have included BMW's, Porsche's, Mercedes', Land Rover's, Toyota Land Cruisers, Toyota Hybrid Highlanders (currently own 2008), 2007Jaguar XKR, Lexus vehicles and my new 2011 X5 xdrive 35d. I can unequivocally state my X5 has so far been my favorite. It is the first car I have owned I did not have to take back to the dealer for any issues. Though not as fast as some of the vehicles mentioned above nor as capable off-road as some, for an overall driver it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. The premium sound is great, the ride with the 18" wheels (with tire pressure reduced to 38 lbs in rear) is fine, no squeaks nor rattles nor parts falling-off in the first 5,000 miles. The power is surprisingly good. Having just returned from a trip to Palm Springs where the X5 35d realized mileage of 29 mpg going and 26 mpg coming home, I have no complaints with the mileage either. That was while averaging 75-80 mph. Had I kept it at 65 to 70 I'm sure I could have achieved 30 mpg. So far I've found the X5 ownership experience to be fantastic. I'm sorry some of you do not share my enthusiasm nor satisfaction with the overall ownership experience.

Zuma Man:
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuma man View Post
My automobile ownership experiences have included BMW's, Porsche's, Mercedes', Land Rover's, Toyota Land Cruisers, Toyota Hybrid Highlanders (currently own 2008), 2007Jaguar XKR, Lexus vehicles and my new 2011 X5 xdrive 35d. I can unequivocally state my X5 has so far been my favorite. It is the first car I have owned I did not have to take back to the dealer for any issues. Though not as fast as some of the vehicles mentioned above nor as capable off-road as some, for an overall driver it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. The premium sound is great, the ride with the 18" wheels (with tire pressure reduced to 38 lbs in rear) is fine, no squeaks nor rattles nor parts falling-off in the first 5,000 miles. The power is surprisingly good. Having just returned from a trip to Palm Springs where the X5 35d realized mileage of 29 mpg going and 26 mpg coming home, I have no complaints with the mileage either. That was while averaging 75-80 mph. Had I kept it at 65 to 70 I'm sure I could have achieved 30 mpg. So far I've found the X5 ownership experience to be fantastic. I'm sorry some of you do not share my enthusiasm nor satisfaction with the overall ownership experience.

Zuma Man:
I like my car, no doubt. The best part of the vehicle in my opinion is the diesel engine and hence the purchase. However, I was very impressed with the new Cayenne. If that option was out there when I bought my X5d, it would have given me pause. If the Cayenne had a diesel option in the US, that would have been hands down the winner.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Sport Act on ord
Sadly I've had my X5 a month and I've experience all of the above. The rattles are driving me crazy. The horn doesn't work and I've had two flats in 1600 miles. Thank god I have the warranty. Just seems like the car wasn't put together well and it's actually starting to annoy me. Now to see they've updated the technology in the car. What a joke. Major slap in the face to those of us that bought the 2011 when it first came out. Who does that???? Mid year updates. It hasn't even been out 6mths
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
I've had the x5d for about 1000 mls. The only gripe I have from the list is the rough ride on the 20" rims and RFTs. If I had to do it over again I would have stayed with the 18 or 19".

Something does rattle from the back seat every now and then, especially when going over big bumps. Not annoying yet, though. The premium sound seems to drown those out most of the time.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5, 2008 X5
Maybe we got lucky, but we've had none of the problems some have listed here with our 2011 50i. We have 3000 miles on it and the build quality has been exceptional, on par with my M5. We traded in a 2008 X5 which also had very good build quality sans an ECM bug. Maybe some here have the "UAW Friday afternoon" option.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post
Maybe we got lucky, but we've had none of the problems some have listed here with our 2011 50i. We have 3000 miles on it and the build quality has been exceptional, on par with my M5. We traded in a 2008 X5 which also had very good build quality sans an ECM bug. Maybe some here have the "UAW Friday afternoon" option.
No UAW at BMW or Mercedes thank god. If that were the case, both BMW and Mercedes would have left many years ago as nobody in Europe would buy the American made products.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 5.0i m-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post
Just over 1000 miles on mine, and no issues so far. No rattles, squeaks, etc. Great ride (adaptive suspension on 19" wheels), no misaligned body panels, etc. I absolutely love it.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:22 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
BAD points
1. Squeaking Door Seals
3. wheel hubs rusting (will paint them myself with hammerite paint)
4. Brake calipers rusting (will paint them myself with hammerite paint)
5. poor ride Quality on 20 inch with sport suspension (non Adaptive) will replace RFTs with non RFTs in Spring and have suspension geometry & wheel alignment checked
6. M Sport pack prone to "Stone Pecking" no Warranty cover on paint damage. (not on mine thankfully) my dealer fitted clear bra - so far it's OK - 19,000 km
9. No cup holders in the Rear as Standard (have cup holders as an optin in center head rest, but only usable without 5th occupant)
10. Roller Blind deleted, from Standard (mine is a 2010 so it had it std)
11. No Option to delete RFTs and go with non RFT tires (include spare) have bought spare will replace RFTs

Good points.
You tell me !!!
see proposed fixes in "Red" but with some Customer satisafction orientated input from BMW, most of these would be easy fixes

Rear view camera
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Hammerite/Hammertone paint is not rated for high temperature. For the calipers I would use one of the paints specially designed for high temp applications (e.g. VHT etc.)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d, 2008 135 conv
7500 miles on my '11 x5D. This includes a 900 mile tow of my boat. Zero issues. 24 mpg mixed, 15.5 mpg towing 3600#, 28 mpg pure highway averaging 73 mph.
2009 MINI Clubman S Astro Black/Tan

Old 10-20-2010, 04:52 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC_1915 View Post
Hammerite/Hammertone paint is not rated for high temperature. For the calipers I would use one of the paints specially designed for high temp applications (e.g. VHT etc.)
Good point, will check that out !

Rear view camera
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Unfortunately every marque out there can develop the "UAW Friday Afternoon Option" (some would also extend that to Monday Morning as well) in that you can find a lot of lemons that don't grow on trees. Granted some more than others but anyone can put a bad one out there every now and then, not just the oft maligned domestics. And yes, even the europeans can have the problem.