Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Display Clock on Navigation Screen

Most of the time I leave the nav screen switched off, particularly at night to avoid the glare.

It would be nice if I could somehow display a clock face on the nav screen - ideally an analog clock - easy to read and everyone in the car can see it, including 3rd row passengers wondering how much longer they have to sit back there!

Anyone done this? Is it a software patch you add? Does it impact BMW warranty (I suspect answer is yes!)?

Too bad BMW did not offer this as another display option on the nav screen.
Ads by Google
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Patryk at Bimmer-tech might be able to help you. Search for him in these forums.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Black 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Most of the time I leave the nav screen switched off, particularly at night to avoid the glare.

It would be nice if I could somehow display a clock face on the nav screen - ideally an analog clock - easy to read and everyone in the car can see it, including 3rd row passengers wondering how much longer they have to sit back there!

Anyone done this? Is it a software patch you add? Does it impact BMW warranty (I suspect answer is yes!)?

Too bad BMW did not offer this as another display option on the nav screen.

You could also put the NAV into "night mode" by pushing the "Navigation" button, then choosing "Maps" and then pushing the "Option" button. There should be a box (empty) you can click on that will put a check in the box and put the NAV into "Night Mode".

I hovered the iDrive controller over the "night mode" box (but without checking the box) and then held down the "6" button (of the preset buttons above the climate control knobs) and now, whenever I hit the "6" button, my NAV screen toggles between day mode and night mode. Pretty slick, particularly in 3D view (it puts stars in the night sky instead of the clouds in the daytime NAV screen).

Reply back if my directions dont work or are unclear.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by plegard View Post
You could also put the NAV into "night mode" by pushing the "Navigation" button, then choosing "Maps" and then pushing the "Option" button. There should be a box (empty) you can click on that will put a check in the box and put the NAV into "Night Mode".

I hovered the iDrive controller over the "night mode" box (but without checking the box) and then held down the "6" button (of the preset buttons above the climate control knobs) and now, whenever I hit the "6" button, my NAV screen toggles between day mode and night mode. Pretty slick, particularly in 3D view (it puts stars in the night sky instead of the clouds in the daytime NAV screen).

Reply back if my directions dont work or are unclear.
Ahh never thought of programming one of those programmable buttons! Trouble is I have programmed all of them - home phone, wife's mobile, radio station, turn on iPod, etc. I will have to see which one to free up for this one.

BTW the night mode only works if "gray traffic map" is unchecked. With the traffic map checked, the night mode does not come on . . . unless I doing something wrong.