Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-02-2004, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
SC Pickup Program?

Does anyone have experience with the South Carolina pickup program for taking delivery of your X5? I'm thinking of doing it, but wanted to know some specifics and maybe some ratings of the experience. Essentially, is it really worth it?

My X5 is scheduled for delivery around 1/30/04.

If anyone has recommendations or stories from their pickup, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tom
2004 X5 4.4i (in late January 04')
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 AM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
I visted the factory down in SC. Can't really comment on the pickup program since i didn't go through it.

The factory is pretty nice. It gives you a sense of how big the plant is and experience a parking lot of BMW's. The museum is rather small. The big point you should note is whether the plant will allow tours at that time.
In my opinion if there is no tour it's not worth it. You still have to pay extra to take the X5 offroad course in SC. If they included the performance school it would be worth going down there.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer
Does anyone have experience with the South Carolina pickup program for taking delivery of your X5? I'm thinking of doing it, but wanted to know some specifics and maybe some ratings of the experience. Essentially, is it really worth it?

My X5 is scheduled for delivery around 1/30/04.

If anyone has recommendations or stories from their pickup, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tom
2004 X5 4.4i (in late January 04')
Totally worth it.

We picked up the 01 M Rdstr there (day before Z3 Homecoming too) and it was an outstanding highlight in my 30+ years of sportscar involvement.

Five months later when we got the X5, the logistics of going back down to SC weren't going to work out in our favor. I've regretted that.

This last year at Z Rdstr Homecoming we got to take one of the factory X5s through "the other roads" course and it was an eye opening experience. Even my wife got in the off road spirit (from behind the wheel, of course)!

BTW, you do the driving events in one of BMW's vehicles that is already broken in (your shiny new vehicle awaits you in one of the delivery bays).

My X5 has rarely been in a gravel parking lot, let alone off road. It was a real treat to see what an X5 is capable of.

If it is at all possible, make the arrangements as quickly as you can and get on the schedule. You won't be sorry.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 01-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by batm4n
You still have to pay extra to take the X5 offroad course in SC.
Do you really have to pay extra to use the offroad course during a Performance Center Delivery? I thought you got a some time on the course if you were picking up an X5. The delivery program is great. I picked up my M3 there. You get about an hour on the course doing a variety of the exercises, so it doesn't compare with any of the clinics and schools that they offer. I've also done the one day Car Control Clinic and M-School this year, so I've been down there a few times. They treat you very well, it's always a rewarding experience.

BTW, I've just ordered an X5 myself (12/15) and they haven't actually given me a delivery date. I decided not to do the PCD, but maybe I should have. I assume that the factory has been closed for the holidays and I'll get a date next week. How long ago did you order yours?

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA
Old 01-02-2004, 03:00 PM
MILF Hunter

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
I purchased my 03 during the switch over to the Z4 so they shut down the plant to new tours until the Z4 was released. I guess they didn't want the new design to be leaked out before they could unveil it.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 E92 M3/'11 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by batm4n
I purchased my 03 during the switch over to the Z4 so they shut down the plant to new tours until the Z4 was released. I guess they didn't want the new design to be leaked out before they could unveil it.
When I was there in July, 02 the factory was closed also. They did a video tour of the factory for us instead. I've been down there three times now and still haven't take an actual tour.

SteveT
2008 E92 M3 - SSII/Fox Red
2011X6 3.5 - AW/Red/Alcantara/Leather
BMW CCA