Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
1990 M20/reman head

Hi all! As you all know I am a new bmw owner and its old but I love it. I have a 1990 525i M20 e34. I am looking to get a completely remaned head for it with the complete valve train. When I bought the car it would not start. I am a marine mechanic and it sounded just like it had no compression. I didn't even check compression at that point. I immediatly took the valve cover off and all the rocker caps were off on the intake side. The previous owner did a complete head gasket repair with new water pump and the whole nine yards and forgot to put the rocker tube key in place.
I purchased a new key and all new caps. It fired up right away with a tick on intake of cylinder 3. The ecocentric is bad, the spring is good, the valve seal is good but with not having that key the intake valve on 3 is bent due to interference. The cam is worn due to basically trying to start an untimed interfernce engine. Lucky for me they stoped and sold the car. I have adjust the valve lash on all cylinders back to specs (except intake on 3) and I averaged 24.7 mpg from Raleigh, NC to Ashville, NC. From Gatlinburg to Raleigh I averaged 25.3 mpg.
I love this car and the m20 engine and would like to keep it that way. I am going to take the head off but do not want to reman the one I have. I want a completely new cam, valve train, the works.
For you more experianced guys can you recommend a good place to buy a complete plug and play reman head. I'll have the block at TDC compression on #1 before I take it apart.
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Please pm the poster called ricks5series. He will set you up with the right guy. He needed to get a new cylinder head for himself. If you search these forums, you might find his master thread on the project it was pretty cool.

It might cost you around $700 though.