Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 01-03-2004, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2000' 328ci coupe
CD CHANGER Questions

I have a 2000 328ci. It is prewired for a 6 disk changer in the trunk. The dealer and electronic store told me that there was no MP3 player that would work for my car specifically. In fact there was only one Alpine model i could get. Then i hear about adapters and installation kits and brackets, and i get even more confused. And logjamelectronics.com told me that i COULD get the MP3 Alpine 6 disk changer for my car. All i need is this extra adapter. Logjamelectronics told me that with all this stuff below, it would definitely work.
Alpine 6-Disc MP3 CD Changer CHA-S634 $225.00
1 Alpine Ai-Net to M-Bus Adapter KCA-130B $10.00
1 Soundgate Adapter ABMW35V5 $99.95
1 BMW Trunk Liner for CD Changer 51-47-8-266-561 $32.80
1 BMW CD Changer Install Kit 82-11-1-470-436 $40.00
As you can probably tell, I know absolutely nothing about car audio, or audio in general in fact. But i have someone who could definitely install everything for me. He just needs all the parts to be compatible and work obviously. Does anyone know if this would work or wouldn't work? Or if this is all i would need? If anyone can help me or give me some info, PLEASE do.
THANK YOU
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspanos
I have a 2000 328ci. It is prewired for a 6 disk changer in the trunk. The dealer and electronic store told me that there was no MP3 player that would work for my car specifically. In fact there was only one Alpine model i could get. Then i hear about adapters and installation kits and brackets, and i get even more confused. And logjamelectronics.com told me that i COULD get the MP3 Alpine 6 disk changer for my car. All i need is this extra adapter. Logjamelectronics told me that with all this stuff below, it would definitely work.
Alpine 6-Disc MP3 CD Changer CHA-S634 $225.00
1 Alpine Ai-Net to M-Bus Adapter KCA-130B $10.00
1 Soundgate Adapter ABMW35V5 $99.95
1 BMW Trunk Liner for CD Changer 51-47-8-266-561 $32.80
1 BMW CD Changer Install Kit 82-11-1-470-436 $40.00
As you can probably tell, I know absolutely nothing about car audio, or audio in general in fact. But i have someone who could definitely install everything for me. He just needs all the parts to be compatible and work obviously. Does anyone know if this would work or wouldn't work? Or if this is all i would need? If anyone can help me or give me some info, PLEASE do.
THANK YOU

I have this setup, and it works perfectly. You can do a search on this site for more information--there is an excellent link to be found that takes you through the installation process step-by-step. I don't currently have the link saved to my favorites, otherwise I'd provide it for you. Go for it!
Old 01-03-2004, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboogie
I have this setup, and it works perfectly. You can do a search on this site for more information--there is an excellent link to be found that takes you through the installation process step-by-step. I don't currently have the link saved to my favorites, otherwise I'd provide it for you. Go for it!
OK, thanx a lot. I needed someone to tell me to go for it. I think i will get it. It sounds good, very reasonably priced, and yeah the web site has a very easy step by step process on installation. Plus i heard logjamelectronics is pretty reliable. Thanx again!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: '02 E39 M5
Quote:
Here is one
E46 CD Changer Installation
Old 01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspanos
I have a 2000 328ci. It is prewired for a 6 disk changer in the trunk. The dealer and electronic store told me that there was no MP3 player that would work for my car specifically. [...] As you can probably tell, I know absolutely nothing about car audio, or audio in general in fact. But i have someone who could definitely install everything for me. He just needs all the parts to be compatible and work obviously. Does anyone know if this would work or wouldn't work? Or if this is all i would need? If anyone can help me or give me some info, PLEASE do.
I can suggest two other alternatives:

1) PhatNoise Car Audio System - a hard-disc-based MP3 player which hooks up to your existing stereo controls and which also has speech output to help you navigate through your music collection. I have a tad under 2000 CDs in mine:

2) Any portable MP3 player - you can put it in your center console or in the sunglass holder / ashtray. Since you have a pre-2003 car, you'd need an adapter (Blitzsafe, Peripheral Products, Soundgate, etc.) to give you an aux input. You'd need to run an audio cable from the trunk where the adapter is back up to the center console or wherever you want to put the portable player.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 PM

Cd Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy

1) PhatNoise Car Audio System - a hard-disc-based MP3 player which hooks up to your existing stereo controls and which also has speech output to help you navigate through your music collection. I have a tad under 2000 CDs in mine:

2) Any portable MP3 player - you can put it in your center console or in the sunglass holder / ashtray. Since you have a pre-2003 car, you'd need an adapter (Blitzsafe, Peripheral Products, Soundgate, etc.) to give you an aux input. You'd need to run an audio cable from the trunk where the adapter is back up to the center console or wherever you want to put the portable player.
Hey thanx for all the info about CD changers for my car. I really appreciate it. I think i might go with ********box one. I didn't know anything about phatbox until you told me about it. The installation seems easy and it should work Thanx again!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:
My MP3 changer works very good! thanx for your help. Also, i was looking at your car profile, and i was going to get tints on my car too. How do u like the 20% tints? I have a Black 328 sport and i was thinking maybe 35% tints. What do u think? And maybe this is a stupid question, but what are the Painted Reflectors?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:12 PM
The Cure

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
I just installed a 20 gig NEO MP3 Jukebox in my 2000 328Ci. See: http://ssiamerica.com

There are various models with different sizes of harddrives to choose from. I picked the 20 gig (cheapest) because it can be swaped with any 5400rpm HD that is FAT32 formatted so I can upgrade myself later on.

Everything is in the kit to install the NEO. You just need to purchase the AUX in adaptor for you car to connect to the CD changer as mentioned in one of the other replies. I'm using the Peripheral Products BMWPILA interface that I picked up at a local car stereo shop. I'm using the power from the BMWPILA for the NEO. I can add a Pioneer CD changer to it later if I choose to.

Greg
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg
I just installed a 20 gig NEO MP3 Jukebox in my 2000 328Ci. See: http://ssiamerica.com

There are various models with different sizes of harddrives to choose from. I picked the 20 gig (cheapest) because it can be swaped with any 5400rpm HD that is FAT32 formatted so I can upgrade myself later on.

Everything is in the kit to install the NEO. You just need to purchase the AUX in adaptor for you car to connect to the CD changer as mentioned in one of the other replies. I'm using the Peripheral Products BMWPILA interface that I picked up at a local car stereo shop. I'm using the power from the BMWPILA for the NEO. I can add a Pioneer CD changer to it later if I choose to.

Greg
What do you think of its skip-resistance? Since the Neo has a hard drive as opposed to a cartridge in ********box, does the Neo skip more?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:

Do you like it? Sound quality? Did you install yourself?
Old 01-06-2004, 09:23 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlerMA
What do you think of its skip-resistance? Since the Neo has a hard drive as opposed to a cartridge in ********box, does the Neo skip more?
********Box actually has a 2.5" notebook hard drive inside that cartridge - that much storage with flash memory would be way too expensive. I have never had a skip in ********Box, despite our "wonderful" New York City potholes.
Quote:
Do you like it? Sound quality? Did you install yourself?
I'm very pleased with it. Sound quality mostly depends on the type of encoding you use - I use MP3 with a variable bit rate, and it is indistinguishable from CDs for most music. You could use one of the lossless encodings, where you get out the exact same bits as you would from a CD. Yes, I installed it myself. I have a 325xiT Sport Wagon, and there wasn't enough room behind the hatch where the BMW CD changer goes, so I installed it on the outside of the hatch. It will fit inside the hatch in some BMW models and not in others. Since ********Box is offered for many different car brands/models, the mounting holes don't line up with the BMW CD changer bracket - some people have made custom brackets, some have used tie wraps, and I know of at least one that just has ********box laying on the trunk floor . More picturs of my car and install here.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:02 PM
The Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlerMA
It has internal shock absorbers and also has a 2 minute buffer incase it has a hard time reading the file. I have been running it a week and a half with no issues. I used to run a PC with winamp in another car for 4 years with any skipping issues either.

Greg
Old 03-29-2004, 08:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to bbh03
Mein Auto: 2002 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg
It has internal shock absorbers and also has a 2 minute buffer incase it has a hard time reading the file. I have been running it a week and a half with no issues. I used to run a PC with winamp in another car for 4 years with any skipping issues either.

Greg
Gerg:

Hope you see this thread! How is the NEO treating you? Still like it?
Old 03-30-2004, 11:23 PM
The Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbh03
Gerg:

Hope you see this thread! How is the NEO treating you? Still like it?

Oh, just fine. It is still cranking out tunes without any issue.

Greg

Old 03-31-2004, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 honda prelude
Sorry to steal this post but I have some questions about CD changer. I just currently bought a 1995 325 convertible. It have prewired for a CD changer. Now the question is do I get any BMW CD changer and just plug and play or is there other wiring require for it ? Please help me on this. I ask the store and they are charging like $500+ for installation and parts. But I send on Ebay the CD changer (used one) only goes for $150. If it's as easy as plug and play then I could do it myself and save at least $300..

Thanks for any help
Old 03-31-2004, 08:57 AM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb
Sorry to steal this post but I have some questions about CD changer. I just currently bought a 1995 325 convertible. It have prewired for a CD changer. Now the question is do I get any BMW CD changer and just plug and play or is there other wiring require for it ? Please help me on this. I ask the store and they are charging like $500+ for installation and parts. But I send on Ebay the CD changer (used one) only goes for $150. If it's as easy as plug and play then I could do it myself and save at least $300..

Thanks for any help
For those who have Navi, what does the onboard computer show when you are playing an MP3? Does it give you track name, etc? or does it give you the same info as if you were playing a regular CD? Does the changer disable the in-dash cd player? How does it interface with the computer? Is it an option to select?

sorry for the questions.

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio
Old 03-31-2004, 09:03 AM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by solsurfr
For those who have Navi, what does the onboard computer show when you are playing an MP3? Does it give you track name, etc? or does it give you the same info as if you were playing a regular CD? Does the changer disable the in-dash cd player? How does it interface with the computer? Is it an option to select?
You only get the disc and track number, not name. The navigation display doesn't support that functionality in the BMW player / changer, so none of the aftermarket companies (that I know of) decided to implement it, even though it is possible,

On the 3-series (model year 2003 and later) with the in-dash NAV CD slot, the changer is considered a different source - when you push the mode button you'll cycle through AM / FM / CD (the dash) / CD x-xx (the changer) / AUX (if installed) / Sirius (if installed).
Old 03-31-2004, 10:40 AM
ED experienced member

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 528i
Quote:
You only get the disc and track number, not name. The navigation display doesn't support that functionality in the BMW player / changer, so none of the aftermarket companies (that I know of) decided to implement it, even though it is possible,

On the 3-series (model year 2003 and later) with the in-dash NAV CD slot, the changer is considered a different source - when you push the mode button you'll cycle through AM / FM / CD (the dash) / CD x-xx (the changer) / AUX (if installed) / Sirius (if installed).

I wish the system would show the time elapsed of the CD/MP3. Sometimes you want to forward/rewind to a certain part and have to guestimate. I think in the big NAV screen, information could be better utilized but instead much space on the screen is wasted. And I hate it when I turn on CD and the screen is stuck on radio display and then I have to switch it back to NAVI display. OK, enough ranting...
Old 04-02-2004, 08:36 AM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
Quote:

THanks for tips. I wonder why it is taking BMW longer than their competition to make an MP3 player standard or option in their cars. Like Tashi said, a large LCD screen is just a waste of space if it can't utilize the components installed.

European Delivery - 2004 325XI, Black Saphirre, Sand Leather, CWP, Moonroof, Xenon, Pwr Seats, Computer w/Navi, Sirius Satellite Radio
Old 04-02-2004, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb

Thanks for any help
The current BMW changer is made by Alpine and use BMW proprietary communication protocol, I-Bus. This changer can be installed in all MY 97 forward. Prior to 97 a M-Bus protocol was used. Any Pioneer "M" series changer will work, the CDX-M30 is the most current I think. That should be a plug and play installation.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Quote:

Does your 2) option work for a 2004 with Navi? Or would I have do the same and run the cable from the trunk?
Old 06-16-2004, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Quote:
More picturs of my car and install here.
Hey Terry, you're car looks totally awesome!! Must be nice to have so many customizations. How much total have you spent on the eletronics mods?

On the interior..i agree, i have the same color interior and don't like the myrtle wood trim. That black trim you have is really nice, how much was that? Finally, how do you keep your interior carpet mats and sides so clean??

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:09 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlee4444
Hey Terry, you're car looks totally awesome!! Must be nice to have so many customizations. How much total have you spent on the eletronics mods?
That's a good question. Probably a bit under $5K, all told (PhatBox + 3 60GB cartridges, TV tuner / DVD player, V1, StealthOne, various other goodies).
Quote:
On the interior..i agree, i have the same color interior and don't like the myrtle wood trim. That black trim you have is really nice, how much was that?
The Birch Anthracite was a little under $1400. It had to be ordered from Germany as US dealers can't get it.
Quote:
Finally, how do you keep your interior carpet mats and sides so clean??
I just vacuum them regularly, as well as using BMW's leather cleaner / conditioner on the seats. I use some generic carpet spot cleaner to clean particular dirty spots on the carpet (mostly where my right foot rubs on the center console carpet, to the right of the gas pedal). I do have a set of "show" floor mats, but the ones in the pictures are the ones that came with the car.

I use a trunk liner (you can see it in some of the pictures) which I got from my BMW dealer to keep the trunk floor in good condition. I also have the big fitted liner for the rear seating area, though I've never used it.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:11 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlee4444
Does your 2) option work for a 2004 with Navi? Or would I have do the same and run the cable from the trunk?
On a 2003 or newer, you can just get the appropriate Aux In adapter from your dealer, which will give you a line in jack wherever you want it (the instructions say to install it in the glove box, though I've seen them in both the front ashtray and the center armrest/storage box areas).
Old 06-17-2004, 09:04 PM
I've got duct tape!

Send a message via AIM to macgyver
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
There's a custom iPod/BMW solution that's supposed to be formally announced this month that looks really cool. It's supposed to display track names, and allow for more navigation than Phatbox/CD Changer emulator solutions:

http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/15/bmw

Unfortunately, the early info also seems to suggest it will not work if you have the Nav system (which would suck, since the Nav system has the potential to make the experience so much better).

Assuming the official iPod solution doesn't work with Nav, I'll probably go with ICELink + iPod vs. Phatbox just because if you're going to spend that kind of money, it'd be nice to be able to take the music out of the car with you too.

ICELink info can be found at:

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...=375&Itemid=79

Last edited by macgyver; 06-17-2004 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Minor change