Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Rod bearing failures on 2004+ M3's?

Anybody out there had rod bearing failures on cars that were not part of the 2001 to 2003 rod bearing recalls? My 2004 M3 has a failed rod bearing at 82,000 miles, never abused or tracked. Trying to get a sense if the rod bearing problems continued after the initial problems, or if I'm just very unlikely. Anyone get BMW to pick up the repair of this failure - technically I'm over 6 years with the car so not covered.

~gs2gf
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Registered Troublemaker

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Wow, that sucks...

What'd BMW say when you asked them for help paying for the repair (good will, etc.)?

What was the frequency of your oil changes and did you use 10w-60 Castrol the whole time w/BMW (Mahle, etc.) quality filters? Not accusing, just asking as my 2002 has had the bearings replaced twice under BMW direction. I want to know what your service history was so I can use the data to help determine what I do for maintenance.

2005 E53 X5 4.4i, Imola Red over black, Sport, Premium, Cold, Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine 6.5's

2011 E90 M3, Melbourne Red Metallic, Fox Red/Black, 6-speed, Premium 2, Heated seats, iPod/USB, Technic harness, JL 6/600
Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Wow, that sucks...

What'd BMW say when you asked them for help paying for the repair (good will, etc.)?

What was the frequency of your oil changes and did you use 10w-60 Castrol the whole time w/BMW (Mahle, etc.) quality filters? Not accusing, just asking as my 2002 has had the bearings replaced twice under BMW direction. I want to know what your service history was so I can use the data to help determine what I do for maintenance.
BMW going to pick up 2/3 of the cost to replace the bearings, which I suppose is something. They feel the crank is okay not to rework or replace, although they really can't say why that bearing failed in the way it did. None of the others are like this, although they are showing wear.

I followed the BMW service schedule for oil and filter, when the computer said it was time it got changed. Yes, always used the 10w60 TWS OEM oil, and OEM filters. Always felt that 15,000 miles on an oil change was too much myself, but decided to follow the factory schedule. I really can't say that doing more frequent changes would have prevented this, it really looks like a bad bearing to me that finally gave up. Only other reasonable explanation I can imagine is that bearing not getting oil due to a blockage or something, but there was no scorching on the crank, so hard to say that could have been the issue.

~gs2gf
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered Troublemaker

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
I'd say 2/3 is pretty good, actually... If you have the choice, have them put in the Evosport bearings.

15k between oil changes is probably not the cause, but given how hot the motor runs (especially in Vegas, and especially since I do some HDPE events), I always change it out when the counter says 7500 miles to go (no reset). Then I change again at the normal time.

Since they are going to have the oil pan off, have them check your oil pump nut. If possible, ask the mechanic to take a center punch to the threads so the nut can't back off.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

2005 E53 X5 4.4i, Imola Red over black, Sport, Premium, Cold, Hybrid Audio Technology Imagine 6.5's

2011 E90 M3, Melbourne Red Metallic, Fox Red/Black, 6-speed, Premium 2, Heated seats, iPod/USB, Technic harness, JL 6/600