Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
08 Z4MR - Clutch Lock Valve Replacement

I am looking at BAVAUTO that shows a small valve called a Lock Valve. Has anyone done this to their cars? Did it help with 1st and 2nd gears?

I read the install instructions and it looks like more of a professional shop replacement item.

Also would this void any warrenties?

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member

Last edited by STIHLBOLTS; 10-23-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Search on CDV valve. It's a popular topic. May have to search with "clutch", since CDV might be too short for the goofy search feature here.

Many people replace the stock valve with a cored out "fake" (like BAVAUTO is selling) to try to keep their warrantied car appearing stock. Some just remove the stock valve entirely, as it is really not needed if you are trying to eliminate the restriction.

Legally, just having it would only void the part of the car it affects, if the dealer/BMW proves that the part replacement caused a failure. In practice dealer/BMW will try to claim (in complete disagreement with the Magnuson/Moss warranty act) that it caused everything from the tires to paint to radio and anything else to fail, and you will need to sue them to overcome that. Just like any modification. Or you may have the very rare cool dealer/service manager that has common sense about mods.

If you're comfortable bleeding your clutch then you could probably DIY. It's kind of a pain to get to what with all the shrouds and stuff in the way under the car. Bring jackstands or better yet, install a hydraulic lift in your garage.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.

Last edited by Zuzax; 10-23-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC, Porsche 928S4
Or just take it to an indy shop (some dealers will actually make small mods for you). Cost way under $100; I think I paid $50.

It is probably the most common modification among the Z owners here. It makes a huge difference in clutch feel, engagement, and shifting. Zeckhausen Racing's valve is probably the one most widely used for replacement.

EB

Last edited by ebruder; 10-23-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

I looked up the Zeckhausen and their price is the same as the one I posted. I will talk to the indy shop I have here in town and see what the swap out would be and get it ordered.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I looked up the Zeckhausen and their price is the same as the one I posted. I will talk to the indy shop I have here in town and see what the swap out would be and get it ordered.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best regards

You don't need to replace it. Just have it removed. Should take about 5 minutes with a lift. Zero parts cost.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Whats the difference in replacement vs removal?

According to what I read on the 1st part I looked at it simply said use it so you don't kink the hydrolic lines. If that's all it does then it's really no more than a spacer, correct?

Does either the Zuckhuser product or any other do something different?

Best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe / ZHP Coupe
The Zeckhausen unit (and, I suspect, the one you found) has an enlarged port in the center so that the flow of fluid is unrestricted. Many go that route to preserve the factory look in case you're getting anything serviced. In case I had a clutch failure, would hate for dealers to blame it on the CDV and not fix it under warranty. For $35, it was a no brainer for me.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
The Zeckhausen unit (and, I suspect, the one you found) has an enlarged port in the center so that the flow of fluid is unrestricted. Many go that route to preserve the factory look in case you're getting anything serviced. In case I had a clutch failure, would hate for dealers to blame it on the CDV and not fix it under warranty. For $35, it was a no brainer for me.
BMW is pretty clued into this "mod" and wold probably inspect the CDV if there was a failure in that area.

I removed it and never looked back.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Thanks guys.

Called my local shop and he is checking into it. He said he's personally never removed one but he knows how to bleed out a hydrolic clutch so once he gives me its under 50 bucks routine I'll be in and get it out.

best regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Thanks guys.

Called my local shop and he is checking into it. He said he's personally never removed one but he knows how to bleed out a hydrolic clutch so once he gives me its under 50 bucks routine I'll be in and get it out.

best regards
Make sure he knows not to let the reservoir get anywhere near the MIN mark. The clutch and brake systems share the same reservoir but the portion that feeds off to the clutch system is very sensitive and can end up sucking air in even if you're not yet at the MIN mark. As you're bleeding/flushing you need to keep the reservoir topped off or you'll find yourself needing to bleed more than you should.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Smile

Looks like I am on my own with this one. Local shop guy called me back this morning and said he called BMW and it was not recommended removal so he won't do it. I did not tell the guy to call BMW! He is not very adventurous when it comes to mods on anything. We had talked about redoing my exhaust when I had the 04 and he said he thought it was too much work for him? Better find me someone else.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member