Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Z4M Valve Adjustment

Guys

I had a question for you all and am hoping it will help me make a decision. My Z4MC has 47,500 miles and I am bringing it in for Inspection service at my dealer. This service involves valve adjustment in addition to the usual battery of stuff.

I got Randy Forbes to do the valve adjustment for me at 22k miles. I have 3 more track days to go this year and some hwy driving that should all be done by end of Nov.

Should I ask the dealer to skip the valve adjustment and do it myself in Dec? I have trust issues having dealers work on my car for anything beyond the basic oil changes, brake pads etc.

Thanks for your input.

Pal
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Guys

I had a question for you all and am hoping it will help me make a decision. My Z4MC has 47,500 miles and I am bringing it in for Inspection service at my dealer. This service involves valve adjustment in addition to the usual battery of stuff.

I got Randy Forbes to do the valve adjustment for me at 22k miles. I have 3 more track days to go this year and some hwy driving that should all be done by end of Nov.

Should I ask the dealer to skip the valve adjustment and do it myself in Dec? I have trust issues having dealers work on my car for anything beyond the basic oil changes, brake pads etc.

Thanks for your input.

Pal
Most dealers, including BMW of Fairfax, don't even do the oil change right. Mine was overfilled by at least a quart.

Let me know if you find detailed instructions for the valve service. I'll probably be doing my own if possible soon.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Should I ask the dealer to skip the valve adjustment and do it myself in Dec?
Yes.

I do my own.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Guys
SNIP

Thanks for your input.

Pal
I do my own valve adjustment.
Good S54 procedure here:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=113415
Very few special tools required.
Just be patient and take your time. Helps to have access to the shim kit but you can purchase individual shims from the dealer.
Total cost of parts to DIY runs around $100; peace of mind knowing the job was done correctly invaluable

Old 10-25-2010, 12:28 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
peace of mind knowing the job was done correctly invaluable

That's why we do it.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster S54 - E39 3.0
Not wishing to play devil's advocate here, but asking the dealer not to do this or another service item does cause an issue.

If something like valve adjustment is part of a standard service (Inspection II) and the dealer doesn't do it they have not completed the service and should not really stamp the service book, should they? I mean, if the dealer does skip this and stamps the book anyway it's not an accurate record, is it? Frankly it surprises me they woul do this.

Forget for one moment that you do will it yourself quite correctly and that some dealers are cowboys. How does a future owner know the work was done well? It may be a naive view, but a lot of people put trust and value in the dealer stamps. If not all the work was done by the dealer then.........
Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Thanks guys. I will tell the dealer to skip it just like the first one when Randy did it for me and so it myself in December. Else I will always have a doubt that something was missed ...

To siwilson's point- it's a great point, but when a buyer sees thorough documentation from a seller they get the idea of the way it was maintained. I have gone to the dealer for all scheduled services and done lots in between myself ... and have receipts and Blackstone reports for it.
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Old 10-25-2010, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: Z4MC AW/IR
They don't stamp any service book any longer. It's in the computer. OP probably doesn't intend to trade his car in to the dealer in the next 2K miles so there's no issue with the dealer not being able to CPO the car. If he does sell it in the future, he will probably have buyers who have browsed forums like these and may well appreciate that he didn't let the dealer screw up his valve adjustment. The tactic that BMW service depts employ is as follows - they service relatively new cars which have mostly been leased and are just luxury transportation for their users. They build up an official looking paper trail of "authorized factory service" that accompanies that car so they can sell it again when it gets turned back in off lease or traded in. The actual service that they provide is mostly routine oil changes and such that could be done by a trained chimpanzee. Often the more complex services like brake fluid flushes and valve adjustments are duly recorded on the service records as having been performed, but actually they just skip over them. The amount of falsification and misrepresentation is dismaying but it's all focused on one thing - more profit to the dealer.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwilson View Post
Not wishing to play devil's advocate here, but asking the dealer not to do this or another service item does cause an issue.

If something like valve adjustment is part of a standard service (Inspection II) and the dealer doesn't do it they have not completed the service and should not really stamp the service book, should they? I mean, if the dealer does skip this and stamps the book anyway it's not an accurate record, is it? Frankly it surprises me they woul do this.

Forget for one moment that you do will it yourself quite correctly and that some dealers are cowboys. How does a future owner know the work was done well? It may be a naive view, but a lot of people put trust and value in the dealer stamps. If not all the work was done by the dealer then.........
So how do you know that your dealer did it at all (much less correctly) while you own the car? It's well known that the dealers lie and skip this step at Inspection I and II because it's so time consuming.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8, 2002 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Most dealers, including BMW of Fairfax, don't even do the oil change right. Mine was overfilled by at least a quart.

Let me know if you find detailed instructions for the valve service. I'll probably be doing my own if possible soon.

Let me know when you want to do it. I have the shim kit but would like the company to help me figure it out
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Rad Racer World Champion

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupé (S.Bronze)
If my memory serves me correctly (there's a possibility it might not), the original sealant around the valve cover was clear-ish. After my Inspection I, the sealant is now black. So obviously they removed the valve cover. Would a dealer go to such a length to disguise not doing it? Methinks not, but they might...

'08 Z4 M Coupé Sepang Bronze, Black/Black, Madeira Wood, CDV delete // 49th from End of Production

Last edited by aestheticstorm; 10-25-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
If my memory serves me correctly (there's a possibility it might not), the original sealant around the head cover was clear-ish. After my Inspection I, the sealant is now black. So obviously they removed the head cover. Would a dealer go to such a length to disguise not doing it? Methinks not, but they might...
Mine went from clear to blue, and provided the chart of the tolerances per valve (had to request this though).

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335
+1 to telling dealer to skip it.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
If my memory serves me correctly (there's a possibility it might not), the original sealant around the valve cover was clear-ish. After my Inspection I, the sealant is now black. So obviously they removed the valve cover. Would a dealer go to such a length to disguise not doing it? Methinks not, but they might...
I have confidence in my local dealer, BMW Seattle, because I go to a specific Service Adviser trusting that he will put my Bimmer in the hands of a competent technician. If I were to have them perform a valve clearance check/adjustment I would ask them to complete a record of the valve clearances and those that required shim replacement.
S54 Valve Adjustment Worksheet.pdf
BTW per TIS 11 12 000 Drei Bond 1209 (black) sealant should only be applied to six very small areas between the cylinder head and the gasket. I used 3M™ Super Silicone Seal, 08661 (clear).
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...06&postcount=3
My last valve adjustment looked like this:
S54 VALVE ADJ Insp I.pdf

Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM
///M Coupe Pilot

Mein Auto: '08 Z4M and '03 530i
Skip it - the practice will be good for you so you can do mine at the end of next year.
3.91 diff | Ground-Control Sway Bars | RRT Rear Control Arms | UUC Short Shifter | KW Club Sport | StopTech BBK |

Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Daniel has my worksheets online (pdf) at www.rfdm.com Look in the Maintenance section...

BTW, my oil's been changed since 2008, but Daniel hasn't updated my records in a while!

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Got it Randy - thanks. I will attempt this in December once the events for the year are over.

Dealer did the 47K inspection 2 service except for the valve adjustment. They replaced 2 coilpacks in addition to the one I had replaced a while back and according to the worksheet the replaced the power steering pump and the sweating line that goes from the pump to the rack.

tnsbruce - I will get some practice time this winter and be ready for your car next year

Thanks guys - as always.

Last edited by pal; 10-29-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
the power steering pump.
What was the problem for that?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

I did not think there was any issue with the P/S pump; I just had the line sweating at the U bend. The service advisor did not even mention the pump when I spoke to him on the phone. Since I picked up the car after service hours there was nobody to talk to but the documentation says that the pump had a leak and the hose had one as well.

Below are the part numbers on the work sheet -

32-41-7-837-884 Power Steering Pump
32-41-2-283-893 Expansion Hose
32-41-1-093-597 Gasket Ring
32-41-1-093-596 Gasket Ring

And the 2 coils they replaced had P#

12-13-1-712-219 Ignition Coil

I had a 335i as a loaner for 2 days and while it was not configured the way I would like it (no sports package, no manual trans), I must say I came away with a very positive opinion. The engine is very flexible throughout the rev band and the low end torque is really strong - though I found the engine to be too refined and lacked the character of the S54. But I can see how that engine can make the S54 obsolete as far as power and efficiency is concerned.

The chassis felt sorted and it was easy to take my fav off/on ramps at speeds that I usually carry on my MC. The springs and shocks felt very soft though, the seats had no side bolsters at all and I just hated the steering wheel as I could not find a comfortable position to hold it (skinny wheel and a wierd triangle shape for the airbag). I suspect the latter issues can be resolved with the sports package and a sports steering. Overall a great car and very much a 3 Series.

This tempted me to look at the specs of the 3 series and the new Z4s on BMWs website and I did not feel good about curb weights of any of the cars
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
32-41-7-837-884 Power Steering Pump
Pump retails for $585.43.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 AM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
Let me know when you want to do it. I have the shim kit but would like the company to help me figure it out
Sending you a PM about it.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
Pump retails for $585.43.
WoW! I have ever heard of a leaking P/S pump - I can understand if one of the hose clamps were failing. I will jack the car up today and take a good look under there to ensure they did not create a mess down there.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 335
To the guys who do a lot of shimming, I have found that 95% of the time I only use a series of 4 or 5 shim sizes, I forget exactly which ones. Do you guys find the same?

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Old 12-12-2010, 02:39 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Getting ready for the valve adjustment service. I have the shim removal magnet tool, feeler gauges (including the 2 M gauges), a micrometer (unf it measures in inches so will have to keep converting) and the shim kit.

Do I need any other replacement parts besides the below for this job?

* Valve cover gasket (11127832034) - 1
* Spark plug gasket (11127831271) - 6
* Rubber seal for valve cover nuts (11127830972) - 13
* Rubber seals for end studs (11121437395) - 2
* Crank oil sealing copper rings (07119963129) - 2

Last edited by pal; 12-12-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
Getting ready for the valve adjustment service. I have the shim removal magnet tool, feeler gauges (including the 2 M gauges), a micrometer (unf it measures in inches so will have to keep converting) and the shim kit.

Do I need any other replacement parts besides the below for this job?

* Valve cover gasket (11127832034) - 1
* Spark plug gasket (11127831271) - 6
* Rubber seal for valve cover nuts (11127830972) - 13
* Rubber seals for end studs (11121437395) - 2
* Crank oil sealing copper rings (07119963129) - 2
While you're in there you might as well change the vanos filter, gaskets and plate.