Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 E39 520i
Question Newbie electrical options question

Sorry if this related set of questions is already answered here.. I *have* spent several hours searching & reading, but there's a phenomenal amount of information here, and it would take half a lifetime to scour through it all...

I just got my first bimmer... A 2002 E39 520i... There's behaviour with the headlights / battery that I'm not entirely happy with, and I'd love to know if it's possible to change it...

In my part of the world (Oslo, in Norway) it is mandatory to drive with dipped headlights on at all times... Cars produced for this market are very often configured so that this behaviour is automatic... I.e. As soon as ignition switch is turned on, headlights come on, and go off automatically when ignition is off... Thus 99% of the time, there's no need to ever touch the headlight control... My 520 is apparently not originally a Norwegian market car... Headlights have to be operated every time the car is used, and it's necessary to remember to turn them on & off again every time.. (Which I am proving *hopeless* at doing!)
I did an experiment whereby after driving the car with the headlights turned on, when turning the ignition off & removing the key, I left the headlight switch in the on position & walked round the car & visually confirmed that no lights were on... Result I thought! - leave the switch in that position all the time.... With nothing illuminated, it can't be drawing power & flattening the battery right??... Wrong... :-( next morning the battery was dead...
So, question 1 is why does this happen? With no lights on, why is the car still drawing power with ignition switched off?? (The dealer who sold me the car did warn me about this, and did tell me this would happen, but it didn't seem to make sense, so I tried anyway)...
Question 2 then becomes, is there any way to change this behaviour? Is there any reprogramming or simple rewiring that would allow me to leave the headlight switch in the on position all the time so I don't have to keep remembering to turn them on before I drive off?

Assuming for a moment that there isn't, another problem I have is that if I have remembered to turn the lights on, at the end of the journey, when I turn the car off, & open the door, there is no chime or alert to remind me that the headlight switch is still on... I think I'm right in saying this is the only car I've ever had which doesn't warn the driver to turn the lights off when the door is opened... A friends 330d does chime in this circumstance...
So, is it a simple reprogramming job to make the car chime if the drivers door is opened with the headlight switch in the on position?
I'd very much like to change at least some aspects of this behaviour, because at the moment it is way too easy to either forget to drive with lights on, risking a possible police stop/fine, or to forget to turn them off & end up with a flat battery... And the cars behaviour in this regard does nothing to help!

Many thanks in advance

Paul G.
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
No chime: Does it sound when you leave the key in the ignition switch and open the door? If not, perhaps the previous owner disconnected it. It's in the lower dash cover.

Daytime running lights are selectable with the proper computer (BMW, et al). They are dimmer than headlights. There may be an option in the light control module that will turn them full on automatically.

Your dealer should have informed you, since it's a law.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 03-30-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530dAT 2001/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgordon View Post
I did an experiment whereby after driving the car with the headlights turned on, when turning the ignition off & removing the key, I left the headlight switch in the on position & walked round the car & visually confirmed that no lights were on... Result I thought! - leave the switch in that position all the time.... With nothing illuminated, it can't be drawing power & flattening the battery right??... Wrong... :-( next morning the battery was dead... So, question 1 is why does this happen? With no lights on, why is the car still drawing power with ignition switched off?? (The dealer who sold me the car did warn me about this, and did tell me this would happen, but it didn't seem to make sense, so I tried anyway)...
Position indicators would still be on. Perform your visual confirmation in the dark. Perhaps you will see the light.

Quote:
Question 2 then becomes, is there any way to change this behaviour? Is there any reprogramming or simple rewiring that would allow me to leave the headlight switch in the on position all the time so I don't have to keep remembering to turn them on before I drive off?
I am sure the solution is simple but I don't know what it is so someone else *cough*QSilver*cough* will have to answer this.

EDIT: Looks like he already did.
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...4#post21689564

Quote:
Assuming for a moment that there isn't, another problem I have is that if I have remembered to turn the lights on, at the end of the journey, when I turn the car off, & open the door, there is no chime or alert to remind me that the headlight switch is still on... I think I'm right in saying this is the only car I've ever had which doesn't warn the driver to turn the lights off when the door is opened... A friends 330d does chime in this circumstance...
So, is it a simple reprogramming job to make the car chime if the drivers door is opened with the headlight switch in the on position?
My car does an annoying chime if I leave the lights on so I am sure the solution to this is simple also. Test if your gong (speaker that does the chimes) works.

EDIT: LOL
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105834

Last edited by pudl; 03-30-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null

Mein Auto: 12- 2002 530i Auto,
Go to your local BMW dealership and have them program the daytime running lights... It may cost you about 100 bucks... or I guess the Euro equivilant would be about 55 euro? they all had it it just had to be programmed.. and umm the chime... might not be there... My cars chime 2003 530i is the same as when you leave the key in.. but in the cluster it displays "Lights On!"

R.I.P. Otto, 04/17/97 - 02/02/15 You'll be missed my drunken Bavarian friend.

"Owning one of these cars is much like owning a two year old child. It's annoying most of the time, but if anyone tries to take it from you'll kill them." J. Clarkson.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 520i 2002
Hi friend buy pasoft 1.4 with cable and you can use your laptop for changing this option there is day night anything you would like is there

Last edited by Sroor9001; 03-30-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 520i 2002
From eBay