Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325is Coupe
Cranks but doesn't start

Ok, I know I know, I've seen this question asked many times. However, didn't see one with my symptoms and none of the suggested solutions have worked. I have a 1992 325is that I bought a few years ago to be my first car, after getting it home and getting a better look at it I guess I realized it was more work than I wanted to get into so after falling into some new funds I decided to go purchase a 2004 330 ZHP. Sooooo long story long, the car has been sitting for at least two years I guess and I'm attempting to sell it but can seem to get it to start. The battery holds a charge and turns the car over very strong. When I turn the key I can't seem to hear the fuel pump. But when I try starting fluid in the intake I get no results, not even a cough or sputter, still just turns over. So that kind of lead me to think I'm not getting spark along with not getting fuel. I tried the Peake tool to see if it had any codes like the crank or cam sensor and it shows no codes. I tried swapping the relays for the DME but it didn't change anything. I did get into the DME compartment and it does show signs of being wet at some point so I guess the DME could be bad? I don't personally know what else that could cause to fail cause all the other electronics seem to work fine like the lights and windows. If the best solution would be to try a new DME or something like that I'm probably just gonna drop the price a bit and sell it anyway, was just trying to get it out of the yard and really didn't want to work on it honestly. Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can help me somehow. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM

Sorry if it wasnt clear, the problem is with the 1992 325is
Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
I would get a K+DCAN cable, download INPA and start reading values out of the DME to check if it's alive and the values make sense.

Are your spark plugs covered in fuel?

I guess you have checked all the fuses, specially those for the coils.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidDC View Post
Sorry if it wasnt clear, the problem is with the 1992 325is
I see, let me delete my comment.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 AM

So I would have to order the cable online? And I haven't pulled the plugs yet, thats one thing I haven't checked. What would that tell me other than I'm not getting any spark? But like I said, without hearing the fuel pump run when turning the key to the run position can't imagine there'd be any fuel there. I even pulled the back seat up and the cover off the top of the tank to see if I could hear it and I'm not hearing anything. And yeah I've checked all the fuses I can think to check and they all look normal.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:10 AM
NCC BMWCCA member

Mein Auto: E36 vert
Are you getting 12v at the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay? The relay is usually in the front compartment of the fuse box. Can you jump the relay and hear the fuel pump?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:13 AM

I could feel the relay click and I was getting 12v when I pulled the connector on top of the tank on the white connector I believe in the run position. But I don't think I was getting 12v on the other connector but I never tried testing it when trying to crank. Do you know which one is which specifically, I thought I'd read one was the fuel pump and one was the sending unit.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidDC View Post
So I would have to order the cable online? And I haven't pulled the plugs yet, thats one thing I haven't checked. What would that tell me other than I'm not getting any spark? But like I said, without hearing the fuel pump run when turning the key to the run position can't imagine there'd be any fuel there. I even pulled the back seat up and the cover off the top of the tank to see if I could hear it and I'm not hearing anything. And yeah I've checked all the fuses I can think to check and they all look normal.
Yes however I'm not familiar which cable the E36 needs. But that would be an easy check if the DME is alive.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
Yes however I'm not familiar which cable the E36 needs. But that would be an easy check if the DME is alive.

Found it, I used the same for my E39

needs K+DCAN cable with an adapter

this has everything you need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-Edia...225632&vxp=mtr
Old 07-22-2016, 11:33 AM

Yeah I was just about to say that it looks like that cable was for OBDII and I'd need the adapter. I'll think about ordering it but it looks like it would be a while before I could get it here and I was actually hoping to have it gone before then honestly. Might just list it as just for parts, haven't put it on classifieds on here yet. Anyone know if its many members in the southern VA area or North Carolina maybe, I've only got it on Craigslist right now.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search