Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-29-2016, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i convertible
I need problem solvers for my drive shaft center bearing.

Hi everyone!,
Well embarrassingly, I have stuffed up a repair job by continuing to work past when I stopped thinking clearly and have got myself in a bind.

I was having trouble tapping on the rear backing plate without warping the flange so I got it just past flush with where the bearing would sit and decided that when I tapped the bearing on it would simply push the backing plate all the way on (this is where I didn't stop to consider that I should've used the same tube I used to tap on the bearing to tap the backing plate all the way on).

So I got the bearing on but the backing plate did not budge. Instead it has just about fused from the impact with the rubber from the centre bearing support assembly and know the bearing only spins with considerable force applied.

I was not at all successful when I attempted to pry it down by inserting a screwdriver and leveraging off the rubber. It just dug up the rubber and bent the metal flange.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can correctly seat this backing plate before I destroy my new center bearing support assembly by pulling it off?

I sure would appreciate it!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161230_085545-1512x2016.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	585603  
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2016, 06:34 PM

I guess patience is also a virtue I am a little lacking in...

So this is what I'm doing and it seems to be working.

It is ugly and it is damaging both the rubber on the bearing support and the flange on the backing plate.

One of those days lol!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161230_102817-1512x2016.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	585606   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161230_102828-1512x2016.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	585607  
Old 12-29-2016, 06:58 PM

And the end result is!......

F&$Łking awful!! I have tried to straighten up the back plate by tapping right the way round with a screwdriver against the rubber on the bearing but it is still angled back and not really effective. I can choose between having a gap at either end....

Anyway, more parts are on the way if I have to rip it off and try again next week.

Tip for next time: When it says tap in on until its all the way flush, then f*%Łking tap it on until its ALL the way flush

Lol

Ihope your day is going a little smoother than mine!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resized pictures - 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	585608  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search