Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 323i
Flashlight Conversion e46 to 36?

Hi all, I've been reading the flashlight thread with interest only to find that my 323 for some reason didn't come with one. Seems that BMW Australia may have deemed that we didn't need them in Australia and my car has an el cheapo plastic blank in the place where the flashlight would have been. So, I've searched the threads and couldn't find anything where people have put an e46 flashlight into their e36 and I got to wondering if it's possible.

Why bother? Well, it's a simple project that I would like to do and I know that the flashlights aren't up to much, but it would be cool to have it I suppose. Why the e46 flashlight? Well, it's in black and would match the trim in the glovebox better than the white. Also, the black seems more readily available and is a better flashlight I believe. The white ones I've seen on eBay leave a bit to be desired and seem overpriced. I want to purchase the e46 flashlight and charger unit and fit it into the slot in my e36 then just power it up. Now this all sounds very simple, but is this a straight swap out, or does it require some fettling?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
A lit birthday candle puts out more light than the BMW glove box flashlights, but it's a cool project if you go forward. I think I'd be checking out the salvage yards to see what I could scavenge from a wrecked E46.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
A lit birthday candle puts out more light than the BMW glove box flashlights, but it's a cool project if you go forward. I think I'd be checking out the salvage yards to see what I could scavenge from a wrecked E46.
Thanks, I can get the parts. There are heaps of them on eBay and I just really need to know if they will fit. I don't want to buy the parts only to find that the area is too small, or the wrong shape. They are all 12v, so no problem with this and I guess it will be as simple as just powering it to the glove box light or another close power source. Yes, the flashlights are pretty ordinary but I do love doing little projects and although it seems frivolous it keeps me sane lol.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search