Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Mufflers for my 318ti

Hey guys I was wondering what I should do im planning on doing a muffler delete tomorrow. But idk if I should straight pipe it or get a muffler like a flow master one or a magnaflow any advices?
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
It's going to sound terrible with an aftermarket muffler, and straight pipes will be absolutely intolerable. The 4-cylinder engine sounds best when it cannot be heard. Otherwise, it's just rice.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; Yesterday at 09:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto:
But all the way straight pipe or straight pipe for the muffler delete ?
Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
It's going to sound terrible with an aftermarket muffler, and straight pipes will be absolutely intolerable. The 4-cylinder engine sounds best when it cannot be heard. Otherwise, it's just rice.
ftfy

By the way, does this sound rice?

Loud, yes, but rice? (intolerable on the street, however). Geez, that diff!
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Last edited by hornhospital; Yesterday at 06:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
ftfy

Hard to tell what the exhaust sounded like with that diff noise! Lordy! That was reminiscent of the diff from a '40s truck with straight cut gears.......

The way he was flying past the cars ahead of him makes one wonder why he started so far back in the pack.

Last edited by dc_wright; Yesterday at 06:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto:
Lmao yeah.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Hard to tell what the exhaust sounded like with that diff noise! Lordy! That was reminiscent of the diff from a '40s truck with straight cut gears.......

The way he was flying past the cars ahead of him makes one wonder why he started so far back in the pack.
My boss's dirt modified circle track car had a diff that sounded like that. You'd swear it was eating itself alive. Between that and the Pete Jackson cam drive you could barely hear the exhaust!

I think the driver in that video was actually in the lead and was lapping the field.

Danny, unless you are willing to spend about $1400 on an exhaust system (headers, cats, and cat back system) from someone like SuperSprint or Remus, stay stock. It already has very efficient headers right from the factory, and the rest of the exhaust isn't really restrictive at all.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette"

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
ftfy
Oh lordy, thanks for catching that.

Quote:

Doesn't sound rice at all, but the OP's engine has about as much in common with that full-on race engine as a frumpy librarian has in common with a supermodel. They can both wear the same dress (i.e., exhaust), but they aren't going to look the same...

Here is what a regular 318 with straight pipe exhaust sounds like, and yes, it is fully rice. Any time you have a 100dB exhaust on a car which takes over 10 seconds to hit 60mph, you are deep into rice territory.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Fiat Punto, E36 track car
4bangers in general will never sound the best, unless it has vtec.
that is why a honda s2000 hitting 9500rpm sounds so badass.
However a stock m4x engine, has no real get go, and the entire exhaust is pretty rubbish, and I will disagree with hornhospital, the extractors are not very efficient, they run out of huff and puff at about 4500rpm.
Even though the LHD ones are better than the RHD ones, they are still very rubbish.

Now take these Audi 5banger headers, this was a factory header on all 7A engines back in '89
these were designed for high rpm, and were all equal length to the mm.
these things were efficient!

Going back to your original idea, remove of the rear muffler only, and replace with a decent size glass fiber packed muffler.
maybe one 2,25" into 2x 2" exhaust at absolute max, and keep the center resonator in!

Also, I have never had a 318ti to work on with the m42 or m44 engine, was the exhaust the same diameter as the 318is at 2,25" and stainless?
I did a 316i to m42 conversion, and I bought a 318ti exhaust supposedly, but that was only mild steel and barely even managed 2".

Please fill me in on that

Last edited by bronx1987; Yesterday at 10:07 PM.
Old Today, 06:43 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Oh lordy, thanks for catching that.

Doesn't sound rice at all, but the OP's engine has about as much in common with that full-on race engine as a frumpy librarian has in common with a supermodel. They can both wear the same dress (i.e., exhaust), but they aren't going to look the same...

Here is what a regular 318 with straight pipe exhaust sounds like, and yes, it is fully rice. Any time you have a 100dB exhaust on a car which takes over 10 seconds to hit 60mph, you are deep into rice territory.
LOL, that actually sounded a lot better than I had expected! Not great, but better.

Found the specs on the S42B20 engines the STW cars used. Pretty impressive! Close to S54 horse power figures.

S42B20[edit]
A racing version of the M42 Engine, called the S42 is known. It was used in BMW's 320 4-door touring car, participating in the German racing series called STW (Super Tourenwagen Cup). It differed by having individual throttle bodies (ITB) for each cylinder and its capacity was enlarged to 1999 cc. It had eight fuel injectors instead of the standard four. Valve cover and airbox were entirely made of carbon fiber. Lubrication was provided by a dry sump system. Compression ratio was increased and a lightweight head installed.

Horsepower evolution steps of the S42 Engine:

Year 1995 1996 1997
300 hp (224 kW) 308 hp (230 kW) 315 hp (235 kW)

OP, you're fighting some basic physics with your 4 cylinder engine if you're wanting it to sound like a V8 or a V12. A 4 stroke engine puts out an exhaust pulse per cylinder every other revolution of the engine. For a 4 cylinder engine there are two exhaust pulses per revolution, for a 6 cyl there are 3 per revolution, for an 8 there are 4, and for a 12 cyl there are 6. At 6k rpms the fundamental exhaust sound frequency of your engine is 200 Hz. For an 8 cylinder it's 400 Hz, and for the 12 cyl it 600 Hz. This alone is why a 4 cyl engine of any make sound different than engines with more cylinders. There are some tricks you can play with delaying some of the exhaust pulses so that you get something like the frequency of a V8, but you can only do it over a fairly narrow rpm range. A Honda S2000 sounds pretty good but it's only when it get into the very upper rpms range which is well above where you can take your engine unfortunately. So in summary you can certainly make it louder, but you need to think about what your goal is with respect to "better".

Last edited by dc_wright; Today at 07:08 AM.