Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Quick learning rookie

Mein Auto: 325is '95
Lost of smoke/steam.. No check engine light?

Hey guys rookie owner/mechanic here. But I followed the instruction sets from that pelican website as perfect as possible while I just installed new radiator, hoses, Wp. As well as an oil change with new filter. My temp gauge works as normal as it did before it overheated last month. No check lights. But when I drive I put off and extraordinary amount of white smoke which I think is steam. My obd isn't set to the correct date or time. So I'm assuming my sensors could be reading wrong if the cpu isn't configured right? I havent the slightest where to begin. Thanks ahead of time to all helpers for time and patients.

Last edited by Ropeadope619; 12-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Quick learning rookie

Also I have the TIS bmw installed with VMPlayer on my pc so if you spit numbers this was I'm sure I can decipher them?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1419087510.482773.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	482242

Annnnnd I want to apologize ahead of time if my etiquette is sloppy,my post lacking facts, or my predicament unclear. this is my first forum post so please forgive me! Thank you again!

Last edited by Ropeadope619; 12-20-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
The date/time on your on board computer does not affect how the car runs at all. It is only info for the driver, so you can tell what time of day it is.

When you say that you are giving off lots of steam, are you talking about from under the hood, or from the tailpipe?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropeadope619 View Post
Hey guys rookie owner/mechanic here. But I followed the instruction sets from that pelican website as perfect as possible while I just installed new radiator, hoses, Wp. As well as an oil change with new filter. My temp gauge works as normal as it did before it overheated last month. No check lights. But when I drive I put off and extraordinary amount of white smoke which I think is steam. My obd isn't set to the correct date or time. So I'm assuming my sensors could be reading wrong if the cpu isn't configured right? I havent the slightest where to begin. Thanks ahead of time to all helpers for time and patients.
I think he means from the tail pipe, and the clue as to what it is is highlighted above. Those dreaded two words: head gasket. I have a feeling the cooling system refresh was done post-overheat, i.e., too late.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Quick learning rookie

Out the tail pipe for sure, I'm sorry for leaving out that important detail. I hope it's not the HG, it's not idling rough and there doesn't seem to be loss of power when I drive? When do drive it next what else can I look for that would confirm the Hg?

And the date and time comment was more towards does it have to be set for me to get diagnostic codes?

Thank you for your patience and sorry for my inexperience
Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Quick learning rookie

Lost of smoke/steam.. No check engine light?

Also no indicator service lights are on and temp gauge works fine ie from blue on a cold start to the vertical pos when warmed

So I guess my question is what are standard tests I can do so I can get some sort of point of reference vs me blinding solve a problem by playing darts blind folded?

Last edited by Ropeadope619; 12-20-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Warm Leatherette

If you have excessive steam coming from your tailpipe which does not go away, you have a blown head gasket which is likely due to the engine having been overheated in the past. You can confirm this by performing a cylinder compression test, but so far the evidence is pretty conclusive. It's about a $1200 repair. Also, do not continue driving the car with a blown head gasket, even if it seems to run fine. You are mixing water/coolant with the engine's oil, which will destroy the bearings inside the engine. The car needs to be parked until it is fixed.

The date/time will not affect anything related to diagnostic codes, etc.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Quick learning rookie

Cool beans, I bought the car for a grand. And I'm assuming your quoting parts plus labor? I'll do some shopping ha So I'll probably do it my self. I like figuring out how things work and I learn best by trial and error. so besides the basics any tips trick advice? Any tools/test kits you'd recommend? Like which one makes your life easier, or handy go to kinda thing if you catch what I'm trying to imply? Orrrr how would you beat prepare for this situation yourself?
Old 12-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Warm Leatherette

Yes, the price mentioned above is for parts & labor, and is a ballpark figure. Keep in mind that you'll want to have the head checked for flatness and cracks (the aluminum head can warp or crack when overheated), which may necessitate either machining or replacing it. There are DIY tutorials available online for E36 BMW head gasket replacement, but if you are just getting your feet wet with working on cars, I can't say that I'd recommend starting out with a head gasket replacement. The interest in learning how to work on cars is certainly respectable, but one does not want to perform a head gasket replacement by "trial and error". There's just too much at stake.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Quick learning rookie

I just thought about it the initial overheating was about two months ago started with a burst upper hose. So after the first month I switched the radiator checked the water pump which had crusty deposits I cleaned off. But after she still showed high temps too fast but I never let it get to the red or near it again. So then I said eff it and pulled/reseated ch clef for every leak. And found I fudged up the Wp rubber ring. I just grabbed a new pump with seal and used some silicone packet to seat it. And that's when I completely drained the fluids oil and coolant and replaced the oil filter. Only then vapor/smoke/showed up. Would any of that change your opinion?

Either way I just wanna physically see the warpage or damage. What would I look for to pinpoint it? What colors or by what other parts?

I appreciate how informative you've been. Your one stellar individual Thank you for being awesome!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Quick learning rookie

Thanks for the concern too, but I've nothing to lose here. This car poorly treated before me and run to hell n back I just grabbed it for an A to B kinda car. When I moved out on my own. But honestly if you knew what knew you'd say whatever other mech tech said "just get rid of it, you'll put more money in then get back" but since I don't have the slightest how to get ride of a broken vehicle I figure it just poke around and gain some knowledge on the way. But worst come to worst I'll just sell the good parts for what they're worth and recycle the rest
Old 12-20-2014, 01:48 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
First thing you need to do is download this and start getting familiar with the disassembly of the engine.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...orums&txt=This
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?