Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #7151  
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Eight Thirty Eight Thirty is offline
nothing.
Location: Rochester, Ny
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,548
Mein Auto: 328xi
pimp? lol no tvs and huge stereos... just coils and wheels
Reply With Quote
  #7152  
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
jayjaya29's Avatar
jayjaya29 jayjaya29 is offline
Come at ///M
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 692
Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
I've been floating another project car around in my head too (would LOVE to get into rally cross during the winter months) but I don't have space at my apartment for another car.

I need a proper garage to work on cars damnit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7153  
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Eight Thirty Eight Thirty is offline
nothing.
Location: Rochester, Ny
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,548
Mein Auto: 328xi
http://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/3488015528.html

do want
Reply With Quote
  #7154  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 AM
SCJon SCJon is offline
Poet of Signature Quotes
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,976
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Go ahead and flame me, but for some reason I want this.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3450871780.html
__________________

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Reply With Quote
  #7155  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 AM
TheFinanceGuy's Avatar
TheFinanceGuy TheFinanceGuy is offline
still learnin'
Location: Boston Metro West (BMW)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,957
Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
Go ahead and flame me, but for some reason I want this.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3450871780.html
no flame from me. I'd love to get one of those... If you really do want one, look for 85.5. They did a make over 1/2 through the model year and everything is vastly improved.
They produced a TON of them in 86... The turbo is pretty much needed as well.
__________________
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139



99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #7156  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 AM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,724
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
^this....

besides, if you think owning a 15yo bmw can be trying, just buy an (almost) 30yo porsche...


with 'electrical problems'.....

hey!!! that means it would be 'just like from the factory', right??!!!!



but yeah, i dig. the turbo ones are what you would want, and they track *very* nicely. see lots of these through town when the races are on.




df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7157  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:25 AM
jfox335i jfox335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 261
Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
[QUOTE=
Guys.. We should rent a garage and start a BMW refurb and sales shop. sell high quality used and refurbed BMWs at or below market price, offer to perform mods and maintenance: profit.[/QUOTE]

That would be an excellent idea. Anything to get me out of the GD cubicle farm.
__________________
Current: 2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast
Retired: 2012 F30 335i Sedan - Sport Line

BMWCCA #471315
Reply With Quote
  #7158  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM
SCJon SCJon is offline
Poet of Signature Quotes
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,976
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
no flame from me. I'd love to get one of those... If you really do want one, look for 85.5. They did a make over 1/2 through the model year and everything is vastly improved.
They produced a TON of them in 86... The turbo is pretty much needed as well.
I want a turbo but they are little tougher to find on the cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
^this....

besides, if you think owning a 15yo bmw can be trying, just buy an (almost) 30yo porsche...


with 'electrical problems'.....

hey!!! that means it would be 'just like from the factory', right??!!!!



but yeah, i dig. the turbo ones are what you would want, and they track *very* nicely. see lots of these through town when the races are on.




df
No kidding, but it might be worth a shot.

Side note I did find a two door dove gray interior parts car for $1500 if anyone is desperate for door panels again.
__________________

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Reply With Quote
  #7159  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM
EnserioJose's Avatar
EnserioJose EnserioJose is offline
Need Some Low
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,552
Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
^this....

besides, if you think owning a 15yo bmw can be trying, just buy an (almost) 30yo porsche...


with 'electrical problems'.....

hey!!! that means it would be 'just like from the factory', right??!!!!



but yeah, i dig. the turbo ones are what you would want, and they track *very* nicely. see lots of these through town when the races are on.




df
And if you thought BMW parts were expensive! An old Porsche is not for the faint of heart or wallet.
__________________


The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Reply With Quote
  #7160  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM
SCJon SCJon is offline
Poet of Signature Quotes
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,976
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
And if you thought BMW parts were expensive! An old Porsche is not for the faint of heart or wallet.
I figured they would be ridiculous, still want it though. I knew my BMW would have a certain cost to own. I just dropped $60 for oil and a filter! I don't mind honestly, the price is worth it most days.
__________________

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Reply With Quote
  #7161  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 AM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,418
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
Go ahead and flame me, but for some reason I want this.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3450871780.html
That's a gorgeous color!

Agree with looking for a face lift model though. The interior is actually pretty nice and very livable. The old interiors are quite cheap.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #7162  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,545
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
I figured they would be ridiculous, still want it though. I knew my BMW would have a certain cost to own. I just dropped $60 for oil and a filter! I don't mind honestly, the price is worth it most days.
that's about par for the course if you run synthetic oil, i generally buy 7qts of royal purple or Mobil 1 and it is around that if not more, but when i pulled the valve cover off a few months back to replace the gasket that sh!t was clean, clean for any car, let alone my 211k miles.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT

Last edited by Kdoherty; 12-19-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7163  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM
kmrpt1 kmrpt1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: volvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
i want this but ... wish to be available in Canada !!!

Last edited by kmrpt1; 12-19-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7164  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 AM
SlimKlim's Avatar
SlimKlim SlimKlim is offline
King of Drone
Location: Fairfax, VA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,257
Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
Go ahead and flame me, but for some reason I want this.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3450871780.html
Yeah go for an 86-87, the pre-85s are even more problematic and just plain weird. IIRC the tacometer goes backwards like in a new aston, but its just irritating, not cool.



I love 944s though, I always wanted an NA one as my first car, glad I didn't in retrospect though, I'd never trust one as my only car.
Reply With Quote
  #7165  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 AM
SCJon SCJon is offline
Poet of Signature Quotes
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,976
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That's a gorgeous color!

Agree with looking for a face lift model though. The interior is actually pretty nice and very livable. The old interiors are quite cheap.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Isn't it though! Montreal Blau club all the way...

IF I ever get one I would try for the post face lift variety, but I'll probably end up with another BMW. I have clearance from the wife for another car this year, tough decision.

I knew it would be and I chose the Amsoil synthetic and Mann filters. I think I'm gonna put my DD on it too. Seems worth it to me.

The tach is weird. I never knew that about them. I did read they are supposed nearly perfect weight distribution though.
__________________

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.

Last edited by SCJon; 12-19-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7166  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is online now
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,418
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
I love 944s though, I always wanted an NA one as my first car, glad I didn't in retrospect though, I'd never trust one as my only car.
I almost bought an 86 after I sold the Audi to do my daily 100mi rt commute.

Probably would have except I was scared of it being a daily sitting in traffic and I can't use it as a backup car with the girls.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp
__________________
// Chad //
// 2001 BMW 740i M-Sport // 2002 Lexus LX470 //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //



Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Reply With Quote
  #7167  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,328
Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
I did read they are supposed nearly perfect weight distribution though.
So are E36s.
__________________
Quotes to live by:
guessing gets expensive...drivinfaster
nothing is more expensive than a cheap BMW...c4harpe13

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Reply With Quote
  #7168  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,545
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
shameless self plug http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664936

help me hawk this sh1t so i can progress with the turbonator.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #7169  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is online now
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,461
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Ugh I think I might buy that 635 this weekend if he still has it. I just sent him an email. I hope he doesn't have it because I should be spending my money on other things

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
__________________
-CJ

Reply With Quote
  #7170  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
jayjaya29's Avatar
jayjaya29 jayjaya29 is offline
Come at ///M
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 692
Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Ugh I think I might buy that 635 this weekend if he still has it. I just sent him an email. I hope he doesn't have it because I should be spending my money on other things

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7171  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM
petriej's Avatar
petriej petriej is offline
Cruising 280 Top Down
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,088
Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
The E24 will hold a special (speshul!1) place in my heart.

Someday I will own a 1988 or 1989 M6.
__________________

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Reply With Quote
  #7172  
Old 12-19-2012, 12:10 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
bimmerfest Supporting Member
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,724
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
ken, responded to your post. will reply here as well....headers shipped to 08360??


and the e24 is sorta growing on me....but i like the euro spoilers best. the diving boards are meh...


i like them in red and black. have not seen any in grey, though...




df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7173  
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Joe__Sterling's Avatar
Joe__Sterling Joe__Sterling is offline
Fast Cars Suck!
Location: Albany, NY
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,606
Send a message via AIM to Joe__Sterling
Mein Auto: '13 FIAT 500 '68 BMW 1602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
I've been floating another project car around in my head too (would LOVE to get into rally cross during the winter months) but I don't have space at my apartment for another car.

I need a proper garage to work on cars damnit.
I heard rallycross



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4000 Rally x.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	353873  
__________________

*The I Drove to Both East and West Coast Bimmerfest Club* Member #1
@Joe__Sterling on twitter & instagram (two underscores)

Last edited by Joe__Sterling; 12-19-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7174  
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,328
Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Ugh I think I might buy that 635 this weekend if he still has it. I just sent him an email. I hope he doesn't have it because I should be spending my money on other things

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
The E24 will hold a special (speshul!1) place in my heart.

Someday I will own a 1988 or 1989 M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
ken, responded to your post. will reply here as well....headers shipped to 08360??


and the e24 is sorta growing on me....but i like the euro spoilers best. the diving boards are meh...


i like them in red and black. have not seen any in grey, though...




df
Join the school of Sharks....you know you want to.

David, there are a few gray/silver E24s, but far fewer than black and red. Not many Burgundrot ones, either. Judging from the paint on Eddie's 633, I can see why. It just didn't hold up well. Burgundy red metallic is gorgeous when it's in good shape. It's hideous when it's not.
__________________
Quotes to live by:
guessing gets expensive...drivinfaster
nothing is more expensive than a cheap BMW...c4harpe13

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Reply With Quote
  #7175  
Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is online now
some kid
Location: Ithaca, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,461
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Join the school of Sharks....you know you want to.

David, there are a few gray/silver E24s, but far fewer than black and red. Not many Burgundrot ones, either. Judging from the paint on Eddie's 633, I can see why. It just didn't hold up well. Burgundy red metallic is gorgeous when it's in good shape. It's hideous when it's not.
Believe me, I really want to. But I need to buy Christmas presents and pay off traffic tickets.
__________________
-CJ

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
:3


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms