Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
remote control key

hey guys,

i have 1999 bmw 528i and it came with the bulky looking remote control key, since i like the style of the newer version of the remote control key which has the bmw mark in the center part of the remote control, i would love to switch to one of those.

has anyone done this? because the dealer parts guys been telling me that it's impossible to do so....

please advise~
thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by waapples
hey guys,

i have 1999 bmw 528i and it came with the bulky looking remote control key, since i like the style of the newer version of the remote control key which has the bmw mark in the center part of the remote control, i would love to switch to one of those.

has anyone done this? because the dealer parts guys been telling me that it's impossible to do so....

please advise~
thanks
I've always been told the same thing. However, the funny thing is that a few weeks ago I got a BMW lease return with 2 master keys, one of each type. The car was made for the "new" key, but along the way, someone ordered a new key, and received an "old" key. The key worked fine.

The main difference is that the new key uses a rechargable battery, while the old key uses a traditional battery that can be replaced. I'm sure there is a mechanism in the car that recharges the key when it is in the car. Therefore, you can use an old key in the new cars and have no problems, but you can't use a new key in a car that was not built for it, because it will not recharge the key.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
SARAFIL is right, the new keys recharge through an induction coil inside the key and if the car doesn't have the matching deal in the lock, even if it can be cut and coded, it won't charge.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 525I
But what if the remote is still not working and you have the key that recharges? Do you know how to open he master to key to replace the battery or is that not even possible? I do not see any screws on my key and i dont want to mangle the key trying to open it. i think there is a sticker on the back but if i try to take it off i will destroy it.
Thanks for any help or suggestions