Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Gosh the '06 is so ugly...lol I think they overdid the colored bumpers. The '10 has a tiny more black in the front right? lol I thought the '05 black bumpers were fine but critics kept complaining that they had black cheap looking bumpers. That '06 is really ugly. I don't think I would have gotten that one.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Here's the '05 in the same sky blue color. I will let you be the judge. I think it looks better than the 06 (I know I'm biased). lol
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
06BMWX3 06BMWX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicoutimi, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 273
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Are people still driving Lamborghinis? I haven't heard of that car since the early 90's (maybe late 80s). lol
Lambo is actually doing pretty good since VAG(VW) took them over a couple years back........
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Lambo is actually doing pretty good since VAG(VW) took them over a couple years back........
Oh...Do they look the same? LOL I should look them up. i remember the pictures of the Red ones that always used to be in the movies. I remember when i was in 6th grade, we thought the cars of the year 2000 were going to be futuristic. Here we are in 2010 and they are not futuristic at all. We are just barely getting electric cars out.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
PPXYZ PPXYZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West Coast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 672
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
It's all because of the lease deals. When you offer leasing at 4 hundred something per month for an X3, that will happen. I wish they would only allow lease in one color...lol say black...then if you see another color, it will be distinctive.

The popularity of the car has nothing to do with it not being distinctive. I think it is pretty cool. Cool enough anyway...and they don't need to raise the price to make it less unique on the road. BMW actually wants to sell more. The issue is not offering such a nice lease deal.

That's my opinion...it might be unpopular but you can't have it both ways ...exclusivity and low lease prices...you just can't.
BMW is apparently going for the low lease prices and will likely trash its image in the process.

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,034
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I wonder if one could make arrangements with BMW NA to get the Sport Suspension instead of the fancy variable one. I would like to think that the factory has SOME flexibility in dealing with this............
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
BMW is apparently going for the low lease prices and will likely trash its image in the process.

I agree. I know I am at risk of offending lease lovers. I think if they would just keep it at $500, that would keep people at bay. As bad as it sounds, it is a reality. Look what happened to the Razor phone when they started selling it at $99. When it first came out, it was a hot item selling for $672 (they didn't have the deal with cingular (event. ATT) yet). Once everyone had it, nobody wanted it. lol

If they want to extend the brand, they should make the buying prices more affordable (a little). I hope they focus more on selling more vehicles and less on leasing.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 PM
McVeyMac McVeyMac is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
Here's the '05 in the same sky blue color. I will let you be the judge. I think it looks better than the 06 (I know I'm biased). lol
I think the difference is that the black bumper was standard and to mono-colored bumper was on their "Sport trim" package.
__________________
2007 328xi, Titanium Silver, Premium Plg, Cold Pkg, Steptronic, Daily Driver
2007 X3, Bronze Metallic, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Xenon, Brown Dakota, Steptronic
2004 Z4, Bright Red, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Xenon, Black Dakota, Manual
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
PPXYZ PPXYZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West Coast
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 672
Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
I agree. I know I am at risk of offending lease lovers. I think if they would just keep it at $500, that would keep people at bay. As bad as it sounds, it is a reality. Look what happened to the Razor phone when they started selling it at $99. When it first came out, it was a hot item selling for $672 (they didn't have the deal with cingular (event. ATT) yet). Once everyone had it, nobody wanted it. lol

If they want to extend the brand, they should make the buying prices more affordable (a little). I hope they focus more on selling more vehicles and less on leasing.
BMW could be Apple.



I say that even though I love my Android phone.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 PM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,033
Mein Auto: 11 550i
I have voiced many of the same opinions as the author of this article. He must have read my posts. I have the DHP with electronic Adaptive Drive suspension system on my 11 550i. Prior to this i had an 08 550i M-Sport with the M-Sport Suspension. The AD suspension can do everything but nothing particularly well. The car has a tendency to be floaty in the vertical axis when driving straight. My 08 550i with the M-Sport Suspension was much better anchored to the pavement with no floating up and down. I much prefer that simpler approach to electronic whiz bang options of Adaptive Drive. Unfortunately that suspension is not offered here in the US. This is consistent with BMW moving away from Sport Sedans to Luxury Sport Sedans. I much prefer driving a BMW Sports Sedan.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVeyMac View Post
I think the difference is that the black bumper was standard and to mono-colored bumper was on their "Sport trim" package.
Yeah...The '05 came out late '04 and sometime in the spring of '05 they started offering some special package that made the bumpers the same color. I didn't like it then so when they decided in '06 to make the whole bumper color coated, I was not a fan. It just makes the car look "chubby" instead of slender. With the F25, that black stripe they have added to the back really is "slimming". That's why I think the colored versions look superior to the black (in addition to the black one losing all contour lines).

BTW, that special package in 2005 was about 2K for the parts and they had said that didn't include paining it the color of your car or labor. I forgot what it was called. Some kind of "kit".
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I have voiced many of the same opinions as the author of this article. He must have read my posts. I have the DHP with electronic Adaptive Drive suspension system on my 11 550i. Prior to this i had an 08 550i M-Sport with the M-Sport Suspension. The AD suspension can do everything but nothing particularly well. The car has a tendency to be floaty in the vertical axis when driving straight. My 08 550i with the M-Sport Suspension was much better anchored to the pavement with no floating up and down. I much prefer that simpler approach to electronic whiz bang options of Adaptive Drive. Unfortunately that suspension is not offered here in the US. This is consistent with BMW moving away from Sport Sedans to Luxury Sport Sedans. I much prefer driving a BMW Sports Sedan.
Does the Adaptive Drive have a sport and sport + mode like the F25 will have?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
adgrant adgrant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,165
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
I have voiced many of the same opinions as the author of this article. He must have read my posts. I have the DHP with electronic Adaptive Drive suspension system on my 11 550i. Prior to this i had an 08 550i M-Sport with the M-Sport Suspension. The AD suspension can do everything but nothing particularly well. The car has a tendency to be floaty in the vertical axis when driving straight. My 08 550i with the M-Sport Suspension was much better anchored to the pavement with no floating up and down. I much prefer that simpler approach to electronic whiz bang options of Adaptive Drive. Unfortunately that suspension is not offered here in the US. This is consistent with BMW moving away from Sport Sedans to Luxury Sport Sedans. I much prefer driving a BMW Sports Sedan.
The difference is you bought a 5 series which was a sports sedan and are entitled to be annoyed with BMW. The SAV buyers are in many ways part of the problem since they have demonstrated to Munich that their badge sells without being on a sports sedan.

OTOH I test drove a 535 and X5 and thought the X5 was more fun to drive, largely because of the crappy steering in the 5.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
BMW could be Apple.



I say that even though I love my Android phone.
I guess you are right. Apple has managed to become popular and ubiquitous without taking any joy away from using their product. The difference is with a car people like to be unique. Ipods become unique based on what you put on them so each person feels his/her ipod is special. If the BMW X3 becomes more popular, at the very least they should add 2 more colors.

Right now, the ones they will have on the lot are all visible on a black and white TV except the blue (black, white, mineral silver, titanium silver, space gray, and blue). Of the "exclusive" 2 are girl colors and one is the hideous brown (?bronze). They should add a hunter green and one more version of blue. These are already available on the 7 series so clearly they have the paint.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:34 AM
McVeyMac McVeyMac is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
I guess you are right. Apple has managed to become popular and ubiquitous without taking any joy away from using their product. The difference is with a car people like to be unique. Ipods become unique based on what you put on them so each person feels his/her ipod is special. If the BMW X3 becomes more popular, at the very least they should add 2 more colors.
I find it very interesting that everyone wants an exclusive and special vehicle that is tailored to their every desire, yet at a price that only they can afford so that it is special or exclusive.

Personally, I would prefer a quality product that provides all of the attributes that have made BMW legendary at an affordable price. This can only be acheived through volume sales, lower profit margins per unit, and the economies of scale that come with it. I agree that a larger color pallat or more sport/suspensio/engine options would be desirable to me personally, but the best way to affect change would be to communicate these desires to BMW. Now that X3 manufacturing will be done in SC, these options may become available. After the re-tool of the plant is at least partially paid for.

Last edited by McVeyMac; 11-18-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 AM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVeyMac View Post
I find it very interesting that everyone wants an exclusive and special vehicle that is tailored to their every desire, yet at a price that only they can afford so that it is special or exclusive. Personally, I would prefer a quality product that provides all of the attributes that have made BMW legendary at an affordable price. This can only be acheived through volume sales, lower profit margins per unit, and the economies of scale that come with it. I agree that a larger color pallat or more sport/suspensio/engine options would be desirable to me personally, but the best way to affect change would be to communicate these desires to BMW. Now that X3 manufacturing will be done in SC, these options may become available. After the re-tool of the plant is at least partially paid for.
I don't know what to say. lol I am guilty of your first statement in bold. It sounds good to me. Who doesn't want their car to be special?

At the same time I understand your economics point. It has always been that way...the more you sell, the lower the price can be because the same profit can be obtained. Finding the sweet spot to sell more yet still get a high profit is the goal of every business. I get that. I agree I would like them to make it affordable. My issue was not with the buying but instead with the leasing. The buying price is still high enough to keep it somewhat exclusive. If they want to expand, I'd rather have them drop the buying price and get more people to buy...but to have the car everywhere for $400 a month gives the illusion that everyone is buying it and makes your car less special. Maybe a fun way would be to add more colors and reserve 3 colors for "buyers" or at the very least different wheels (308 for buyers, 307 for lease).

If you don't think people should crave "somewhat exclusivity", take a look at this picture and tell me if it does not make you a bit sick (and that is my favorite color too):
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 AM
55's Avatar
55 55 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 559
Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
. If the BMW X3 becomes more popular, at the very least they should add 2 more colors.
They should also add at least two more engines and one transmission in NA.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 AM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,034
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
They should also add at least two more engines and one transmission in NA.
As you can see from my poll, there isn't a great demand for the diesels. Folks here want POWERRRRRR.

Hard to make a business case for certifying and marketing diesels in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
55's Avatar
55 55 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CANADA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 559
Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
As you can see from my poll, there isn't a great demand for the diesels. Folks here want POWERRRRRR.

Hard to make a business case for certifying and marketing diesels in the US.
Business case can be made for anything, it's all about companies vision and desire. In all areas of life and business you can make things look attractive or not.
And screw those ignorant folks BTW
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
ShinySteelRobot's Avatar
ShinySteelRobot ShinySteelRobot is offline
Let Apple rewrite iDrive
Location: Seattle, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 284
Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
When you say great looking, you don't mean for a guy right? lol ...(deleted)... so now...if you want those colors (lipstick red, sky blue, brown) you have to "special order"...lol.
Sorry if I'm not following you here. Are you suggesting that red is a girl's color? Because like 99% of Ferrari's are red....
__________________
2006 650i Coupe
ED 11/2005, re-delivered 2/2006
  • Jet Black
  • Dakota Black+Ruthenium
  • 6-speed manual
  • Sport Package
  • Premium Sound Package
  • Cold Weather Package
  • HUD
  • Sirius satellite radio
  • Upgraded to M6 wheels upon delivery
  • iPod adapter upgrade 11/2007
  • 35% window tint
  • 3M Paint Protection Film
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 PM
McVeyMac McVeyMac is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post
I don't know what to say. lol I am guilty of your first statement in bold. It sounds good to me. Who doesn't want their car to be special?
I appreciate and love your honesty. I do not lease because in a lease you do not own anything IMO. I do not borrow because interest is too expensive. I do not by new BMWs because they are too expensive. BMW's lease program fulfills a very important resource for me. Late model BMWs with low milage at a much more affordable price point. I have a 3 stable garage with a late model BMW in each stall (328xi, X3 and Z4). I have died and gone to heaven. The are all unique and different from each other, and yes the Z4 is in red, and yes she is hot.

I suggest that we all pester the crap out of BMW NA to offer the options that we want including color. However using your model, I will probably never get a chance to drive any of the really cool (owner) colors.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
Sorry if I'm not following you here. Are you suggesting that red is a girl's color? Because like 99% of Ferrari's are red....
It's funny. I almost commented on that. Red looks good on a sports car only (Lambo, corvette, ferrari, etc). I once had a red Toyota Celica and I liked it.

If the car is not a sports car or a sports car wannabe (like the Celica), it probably shouldn't be red.

Go ahead and get the red X3 if you like but if your friends chuckle at you, don't say I didn't tell you.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVeyMac View Post
I appreciate and love your honesty. I do not lease because in a lease you do not own anything IMO. I do not borrow because interest is too expensive. I do not by new BMWs because they are too expensive. BMW's lease program fulfills a very important resource for me. Late model BMWs with low milage at a much more affordable price point. I have a 3 stable garage with a late model BMW in each stall (328xi, X3 and Z4). I have died and gone to heaven. The are all unique and different from each other, and yes the Z4 is in red, and yes she is hot.

I suggest that we all pester the crap out of BMW NA to offer the options that we want including color. However using your model, I will probably never get a chance to drive any of the really cool (owner) colors.
LOL. Thanks for not taking it personally. You see my point though right? LOL I like a little bit of that status feel from the BMW. In normal parts (outside LA), it still has that feel.

I see the value of leasing. It is nice to be driving a new car. I never would quite feel comfortable. Just like when using a rental car ( I used one for 3 months one time)...it never quite feels like it is yours. The 3 month one came close...but I'd like to feel like I could mess it up if I wanted to and the only one who would be mad at me would be myself. IDK. Also, if people told me "nice car", I would feel like I was faking them.

You are right. At the price of BMWs. you could afford 2 leases. I knew a guy who leased his X5 so he could deduct some for business etc. I figure the Tax people know all the tricks so I wouldn't bother (unless it was literally your job to be on the road).

I don't know how else to comment on leasing. Maybe it is a bit of jealousy on my part. lol Imagine someone showing your same college degree after only going for 2 years. All I'm saying is give us a color or some special wheel design or something...lol

Now leasing a wife...lol...there's an idea.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 PM
McVeyMac McVeyMac is offline
Registered User
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3forlife View Post

Now leasing a wife...lol...there's an idea.
The residual value on my wife is so low I practically own her outright anyway.
__________________
2007 328xi, Titanium Silver, Premium Plg, Cold Pkg, Steptronic, Daily Driver
2007 X3, Bronze Metallic, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Xenon, Brown Dakota, Steptronic
2004 Z4, Bright Red, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Xenon, Black Dakota, Manual
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
X3forlife X3forlife is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVeyMac View Post
The residual value on my wife is so low I practically own her outright anyway.
lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms