Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Road trip San Francisco to Canada....Guide me please

PS: Have posted this in the detail section as well....since I am most active on the F10 forum, am posting here as well.

Hey folks - Please help me.

We are on a road trip from San Francisco area to Canada (about 3500 miles) that we will be covering in 14 days. We will be going to the Rockies, Banff, St. Louise, Casper, Vancouver, Seattle etc. Should I get any treatment done to the exterior of the car prior to the trip so it doesn't get damaged with elements while on this trip? I was considering getting the car waxed but am unsure if this should be done prior to the trip or after return.....or is waxing just for visual appeal.

We leave this Saturday (July 17) early AM so I have very little time at hand.....if it would be great if you folks could guide me soon.

We have a 2015 535i in Space Gray color (MSport). Car does not have any coating (opticoat etc).

Last edited by shogunman; 07-15-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunman View Post
PS: Have posted this in the detail section as well....since I am most active on the F10 forum, am posting here as well.

Hey folks - Please help me.

We are on a road trip from San Francisco area to Canada (about 3500 miles) that we will be covering in 14 days. We will be going to the Rockies, Banff, St. Louise, Casper, Vancouver, Seattle etc. Should I get any treatment done to the exterior of the car prior to the trip so it doesn't get damaged with elements while on this trip? I was considering getting the car waxed but am unsure if this should be done prior to the trip or after return.....or is waxing just for visual appeal.

We leave this Saturday (July 17) early AM so I have very little time at hand.....if it would be great if you folks could guide me soon.

We have a 2015 535i in Space Gray color (MSport). Car does not have any coating (opticoat etc).
I lived in that area for 40 years. Expect lots of bugs and I am sorry to say, rock chips. You will be getting behind large slow RVs, and Semis galore and you will be going for miles without being able to pass. Be patient, absolutely beautiful scenery as you drive but many sections where it is only one lane and impossible to pass (summer holidays).

2012 BMW 535i M-Sport (current --- purchased March 2014)

2011 Audi A6 3.0T (3 years of problems)

2000 BMW 740iL (9 years of great happiness until engine blew)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Shogunman

Mein Auto: 2013 640i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trian View Post
I lived in that area for 40 years. Expect lots of bugs and I am sorry to say, rock chips. You will be getting behind large slow RVs, and Semis galore and you will be going for miles without being able to pass. Be patient, absolutely beautiful scenery as you drive but many sections where it is only one lane and impossible to pass (summer holidays).
I totally agree with you. We have done road trips longer than this one (about 4200 miles or so) and so we are pretty used to this. I am definitely expecting rock chips on the body and glass also....hopefully damage is rectifiable in a cost effective manner.

Am looking forward to the natural beauty and some city dazzle too. Can't wait :-)