Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: 530d SE 2010 F10
Another vibration issue (sry) . . . .

Hi there,

I own a 2010 BMW 5 Series 530d, it has 49000 on the clock, I've owned it since 18000.

I do a daily commute to work down the M56 and a couple of months ago I noticed a vibration coming through my seat at around 70mph. Now, when I bought the car the dealer wouldn't change the n/s rear tyre as it was within legal limits so it stayed on, it was a Michelin Primacy RFT. The rest were Pirelli P Zero RFT's.

I thought I'd thrown a weight or something as the vibration is similar to a wheel unbalance but upon checking the tyre I noticed the usual uneven wear that RFT's as susceptible to. I change both rear tyres for brand new Pirelli RFT's hoping this would eliminate the vibration. It didn't, it was worse?? I took it back to the tyre garage (whom Ive used for years) and they rebalanced them, no change. The following is a summary of what I've done since then . . .

1. Replaced ALL tyres with Hankook Ventus Evo II non-run flats (I did this as the fronts were also worn and thats the first thing BMW would have said to do if I took it to them) - NO CHANGE

2. Had Hunter alignment checked and adjusted - NO CHANGE

3. Had wheels rebalanced at different garage - NO CHANGE

4. Had a flat spot in the rear o/s wheel (very minor one 2-3mm) straightened out - NO CHANGE

I then took it to a BMW indy who had it for two days. The agreed I have a vibration issue but they could not find what was causing it. They first told me I needed a new alloy wheel as, when they ran the car on the ramps, the wheel didn't look right?? They ordered me a new wheel (520) but before they put it on they tried putting wheels from another 5 series they had on mine and test drove it - NO CHANGE. The wheel got cancelled. They looked at all joints, checked the propshaft and half shafts. They even ran the car whilst looking at the propshaft to see if it started vibrating but they couldn't physically see any moment. They said that all the weights on the propshaft (which are tack welded on) looked ok ie no obvious missing ones. They gave me my car back and said the only thing I can do is take it to BMW. They didn't charge me either, good lads.

I've since took the car to have a roadforce balance done using the Hunter machine. They told me that both my rear tyres were rubbish and need replacing (apparently they had 180Nm & 120Nm of torque and the tolerance is 60Nm) but they got this down to 100Nm and 80Nm by moving the tyres round the rim. They told me it would make a noticeable difference but I think its made it worse!!!

I would like to know if anyone has had similar problems or has any ideas on what could be wrong before I chop it in for something else.

My thoughts at the moment are wheel bearing or hub assembly or something suspension related. I dont want to just start swapping parts for the sake of it though due to the expense.

I love the car but I dont love driving it at the minute, any help would be appreciated

Regards

Dave
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search