Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i X-Drive
Exactly, it's like to old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I have been providing my SA with this forum thread for general info that is happening with the issue, but they say they dont make decisions based on it. I haven't instructed them to do anything other than fix it. =) Will let you all know what they tell me. If I'm lucky, perhaps I'll speak to one of the foreman or the service manager today. Will keep you all posted.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
History of my car:

- Day 1-3. Perfect, no grinding or other symptoms.
- Day 4-14 Intermittent Dynamic Handling malfunction error, no grinding.
- Day 15 Permanent Dynamic Handling malfunction error, no grinding, Sports mode not possible, no grinding.
- In for service. New valve block installed which is almost immediately contaminated by metal shavings in the system, Dynamic Handling error returns while in the shop.
- System flushed several times and a new valve block and ars pump are installled. Dynamic handling error do not come back. A total of 15 days in the shop so far.
- Day 1 after getting the car back I observe the grinding noise which is now heard every day.
- I take it in for service but a short test drive of the tech do not reveal the problem.
- A few days later I leave the car for service and the service foreman reproduces the grinding on his test drive after my instructions.
- A new valve block is ordered. All actions are controlled an authorized by a bmw corporate engineer in New Jersey.
- I get the car back after another 19 days in the shop for a current total of 34 days.
- I can still hear the grinding but so far it is less frequent, once or twice a day instead of ~ 10 times/day and the noise is more muffled/lower pitched. At this point it's to infrequent to bring the car back, it would take a lot of test drives to reproduce. My hope is now with bmwna for some kind of settlement to get me out of this car.

Last edited by solstice; 12-10-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelquan View Post
Exactly, it's like to old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I have been providing my SA with this forum thread for general info that is happening with the issue, but they say they dont make decisions based on it. I haven't instructed them to do anything other than fix it. =) Will let you all know what they tell me. If I'm lucky, perhaps I'll speak to one of the foreman or the service manager today. Will keep you all posted.
In my case the dealer do not make the decisions on this issue, it's the bmw corporate engineers in New Jersey that decides what to do. At least that's how I understood it. The valve block did solve biggerkahuna's and emilner's grinding so it seems that they know what they are doing but they can't really control the quality of the valve blocks so it must be a tough situation for everyone. Insulation might help but it does point to severe vibration of metal lines, is that really a good long term solution? Metal can be exhausted by vibrations. Is it normal vibrations that it's designed to handle? Who know's. What I do know is that ars is nothing new and you would think BMW know's how to insulate for normal vibrations so personally I would be skeptical to an insulation solution.

Last edited by solstice; 12-10-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM

It's actually the same with my case (Sorry if I have not been more clear) - the dealership did not make the decision...some BMW regional engineer/"Big Wig" came in and looked at the car and made the call with BMWNA to authorize the valve block replacement which I'm still waiting on. The convo I'm trying to have with them (the dealership) is to understand how that decision ultimately was made...do they actually know that the valve block is the exact culprit here, etc.??

Unfortunately, I think many of us, to a degree, will have a similar experience to Solstice...that is to say, that you'll go through several iterations of some type of "fix" with BMW until you get to the point of ordering and replacing the Valve Block and either it will work or it wont. And assuming it doesn't (clearly we hope that it does) then next steps will have to be investigated.

This process is also why I believe that anyone who is experiencing these same issues should take their vehicles in IMMEDIATELY. While I absolutely dont like my car being one of the "lab rats" here, I do understand that my experience may be a means to an end for the greater good of all of us.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Biggerkahuna/Emilner...assuming you guys are still in the clear, yes?
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 PM

My dealer informed me that the next step for my car ( if they can reproduce the problem ) would be to replace every single part of ars for a complete ars rebuild. They suspect that there can still be contamination in the system that get caught in the valve block causing malfunction. I would be game if new cars with new systems were problem free but that is obviously not the case. At this point I just want a bmw that I can drive and rave about to my friends as I'm used to and stop spending time on bimmerfest other than for the odd question about detailing advice etc.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Haha!! Agreed...I think I've now spent more time on here than I have in my car!!
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 f10 550iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
History of my car:

- Day 1-3. Perfect, no grinding or other symptoms.
- Day 4-14 Intermittent Dynamic Handling malfunction error, no grinding.
- Day 15 Permanent Dynamic Handling malfunction error, no grinding, Sports mode not possible, no grinding.
- In for service. New valve block installed which is almost immediately contaminated by metal shavings in the system, Dynamic Handling error returns while in the shop.
- System flushed several times and a new valve block and ars pump are installled. Dynamic handling error do not come back. A total of 15 days in the shop so far.
- Day 1 after getting the car back I observe the grinding noise which is now heard every day.
- I take it in for service but a short test drive of the tech do not reveal the problem.
- A few days later I leave the car for service and the service foreman reproduces the grinding on his test drive after my instructions.
- A new valve block is ordered. All actions are controlled an authorized by a bmw corporate engineer in New Jersey.
- I get the car back after another 19 days in the shop for a current total of 34 days.
- I can still hear the grinding but so far it is less frequent, once or twice a day instead of ~ 10 times/day and the noise is more muffled/lower pitched. At this point it's to infrequent to bring the car back, it would take a lot of test drives to reproduce. My hope is now with bmwna for some kind of settlement to get me out of this car.
Any chance you know the BMW corporate engineer's name in NJ? I would like to involve him since my dealer is not aware of this situation.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: '11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5 '08 View Post
Any chance you know the BMW corporate engineer's name in NJ? I would like to involve him since my dealer is not aware of this situation.
I would contact Tom Baloga, BMW of North America's chief engineer
He was the one talking to ABC news about Fuel Pump recall.
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
LOL I posted a detail question and nobody responded.

Well folks its with disapointment that I must inform all that I heard it again. It was a few times about an hour ago. I expected it to happen eventually. Will not have time to do anything about it over the weekend about it. I guess I'm hoping it gets back a frequent level so I can reproduce for the techs.

Bummed
Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5 '08 View Post
Sorry but no, I haven't spoken to him personally. ( It's likely against bmw policy to disclose the personal details of those guys to customers ). Our company for example has such a policy for higher tier support staff just to ensure that they can maximize their time to do trouble shooting and not be "bothered" by the masses.

I guess you can ask your service rep. to call them and ask for advice and they should be aware of it.

Last edited by solstice; 12-10-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Here:
Tom.Baloga@bmwna.com
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i xDrive
Grinding noise when turning at low speed

I picked up my 2011 550i xDrive last Saturday (12/4) and the moment we pulled out of the dealer's parking lot, it made a grinding noise when we made a right turn onto the road. We didn't think much of it at the time but it has been doing it everyday (regardless of a right turn or left turn), so it's going to back to the dealer on Wednesday.

Has anybody had this problem successfully fixed? If so, what was the issue?

Thanks in advance!

-Rich
Old 12-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 f10 550iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXK View Post
Who is this?

Sorry, just noticed it his name from the post above. Thanks

Last edited by x5 '08; 12-10-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Is there any value in each of the affected individual contacting Tom Baloga at this point in time? I would guess not, but wanted to figure out whether that is what is being proposed here.

In my case, the problem is a little bit less noticable at this point in time, without any service performed. It was relatively easily reproducable before, it is not as much at this point in time, although still 1 out 5 times, I hear it. I do not think it is getting beter by any means, but some environmental item may be masking it...
Old 12-10-2010, 04:56 PM

I'd think after the fuel pump fiasco, BMWNA & AG would be more receptive and proactive to the customer's complains. I don't think he'd want to be on ABC again. I'd email him with a link to this thread and see if he replies. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the car yet
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i xDrive
Time for another ABC News investigative report?

DXK - I sent an email to Chris Cuomo; he did the investigative report for ABC News regarding the fuel pump issue. I let him know about the current issue with the 5-series and sent him links to a few of the forums. Hope he does another report and brings attention to the completely unacceptable issues BMW owners have been experiencing!!!

My car (one week old and had the problem the moment I pulled out of the dealership) is going to the service techs on Wednesday (12/15) and after reading on the forums that with no true solution exists for the problem, I doubt I will come home that day with a smile.

Thanks to all the posters about their experiences. I will post what my service techs find sometime next week.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Great there goes the resale value!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovj829 View Post
DXK - I sent an email to Chris Cuomo; he did the investigative report for ABC News regarding the fuel pump issue. I let him know about the current issue with the 5-series and sent him links to a few of the forums. Hope he does another report and brings attention to the completely unacceptable issues BMW owners have been experiencing!!!

My car (one week old and had the problem the moment I pulled out of the dealership) is going to the service techs on Wednesday (12/15) and after reading on the forums that with no true solution exists for the problem, I doubt I will come home that day with a smile.

Thanks to all the posters about their experiences. I will post what my service techs find sometime next week.
I'm not sure if a solution for the majority exists or not at this point. My ars has been through much more than most others here due to the total ars failure from a destructive ars pump leaving metal shavings in the ars system. Three cars have gotten new valve blocks and two seems to be fixed. Mine is the only one that still have issues but I would estimate that it's currently only 10% of what I experienced prior to the latest valve block replacement. What baffles me is that if they now can differentiate a faulty valve block from a working one why are new cars still being delivered with faulty ones? Perhaps the discovery is newer than the production date of currently delivered cars? Anyhow I'm convinced that bmw as in my dealer and the bmwna engineers has been doing what they can and no lame excuses has been delivered to me just attempts to fix and apologizes so I'm not sure I like this latest direction of involving the press. Seems a bit premature, at least until we know how bmwna is going to respond to us that have reached lemon requirements. If I get a full value replacement or buy out offer I will have no hard feelings. S**t happens it's how you deal with it that matters.

Last edited by solstice; 12-11-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:51 AM

I kind of agree about not involving the press just yet. What I think will happen now is Chris will contact BMW for their explanation before he goes any further.
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Totally agree with Solstice here. And while I'm totally frustrated I do believe that BMW, the dealer and my service guys are doing all that they can to fix the matter. Further, I'm absolutely sure that they're completely embarrassed about the matter. I'm just going to continue to let it play out through their process. My valve block is on order and we'll see what happens post the install. Regardless, I'm confident that the ultimate outcome will be in my (our) favor.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
So In contacted the service center to advise that the problem returned. The technician while brainstorming asked me if by chance I filled up the gas tank. He thinks that maybe on a full tank its rubbing again.

I left the service center the first time with about 1/4 tank. No problems that day or the next. Filled up on Friday and thats when I heard it again. Maybe he is onto something, maybe not.
Just posting info as it comes in.

When you guys hear it again, note how much fuel you have.

I also agree about not going to the media. My guys are doing everything they possibly can do fix this. The foreman emailed me at 10:30 friday evening. He really wants to get to the bottom of it. Couldnt be happier with service team at Bayside BMW.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Ready for next ED

Mein Auto: 2008 335ic
At this point I believe contacting the press serves no purpose. This is nothing like the widespread failures of the HPFP..........YET. If it is not fixed with a redesigned part of service fix (and changes on assembly) then it would be newsworthy. In a first year model these are typical teething pains. These are minor compared to some issues I have had with past cars from other manufacturers (Volvo, Jeep (when they were not part of Chrysler) and, would you believe, a Acura! All these had major recurring issues until I sold them.
  • 1980 323i
  • A couple beater 2002tis
Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoer View Post
At this point I believe contacting the press serves no purpose. This is nothing like the widespread failures of the HPFP..........YET. If it is not fixed with a redesigned part of service fix (and changes on assembly) then it would be newsworthy. In a first year model these are typical teething pains. These are minor compared to some issues I have had with past cars from other manufacturers (Volvo, Jeep (when they were not part of Chrysler) and, would you believe, a Acura! All these had major recurring issues until I sold them.
For me it's the worst I ever experienced from a new car and I have had quite a few. So I disagree that it's somehow normal or nothing. I had the hpfp issue and that was a breeze compared to this. However I think it's fair to give bmw a bit more time before calling in the dogs so to say.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I agree with solstice, but how much more time do you think would be adequate for this?