Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550
I too have the exact same issues with my new (200 miles) F10. After having taken it in twice now and the service technician determining there were not any issues, I forwarded this thread to my rep. My rep contacted BMW North America and confirmed that it is indeed a problem with the Active Roll Stabilization. They are working on the solution with one of the service guys car first to determine if it fixes the problem. Assuming they fix it, I'll then bring in my car for repair. Stay tuned with the results.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
[QUOTE=agio0308;5629843]Below is the response I received this morning from the Service rep @ the dealership pertaining to the steering/grinding issue:

"Not sure about weather. We drove the car today, noise was there after driving 20 minutes. We put the vehicle in the air and checked underneath. There was a small rub spot on the fuel tank. We adjusted the metal line and put a rubber insulater on it and drove again. No noise this time. We will try again in am."

What makes me doubt this solution is that it sounds like the grinding comes from different locations depending on if you turn left or right and none of them close to the fuel tank. Then again, the source of sounds can be hard to indentify and at least you don't need to worry about having your fuel tank be scratched open by a rubbing metal line...

Last edited by solstice; 11-16-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbRubb View Post
I too have the exact same issues with my new (200 miles) F10. After having taken it in twice now and the service technician determining there were not any issues, I forwarded this thread to my rep. My rep contacted BMW North America and confirmed that it is indeed a problem with the Active Roll Stabilization. They are working on the solution with one of the service guys car first to determine if it fixes the problem. Assuming they fix it, I'll then bring in my car for repair. Stay tuned with the results.
Is it bmwna that is working on finding a solution or is it your dealer that is trying a verified solution provided by bmwna?
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Sept Build
My fully loaded 550i is a September build I received delivery at the Welt center. I too have the same problem. My car is currently in U.S. customs and will be released to the VPC in short order. My question is, should I contact the BMW European delivery department and mention my concerns so that it might be handled at the VPC or wait and mention it to my dealer to have it go through the normal service department process. My thought is it would be better done at the VPC but I'm not sure the best way to go about letting someone know.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i X-Drive
I'm still having the same issue as well. Doesn't sound like these guys have a clue about this thing (yet). Hopefully someone will have a breakthrough. I plan on bringing the car in immediately and will demand to drive a loaner until the problem gets fixed. We all need to keep raising hell and elevating until this issue is resolved. Its a real bummer to pay this much money for a car that sounds like Sh*t before you've even logged 100 miles.

Will keep you all posted.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Zathris, since there is no known solution yet I would recommend that you let your dealer fix it. That way you can get a loaner while they are figuring it out. And having heard the current delay stories from the customs/VPC it's probably best not to give them an excuse to hold your car longer than neccessary. If this was an issue with a known solution that the VPC could have implemented in a day or two I would have recommended the VPC but not now while there still are unknowns.

Nelquan, that's the way to go. Let them know that you are not interrested in driving around in brand new broken car and ask for a loaner until it's fixed. That way you also have the lemon law ticking if it turns out you'll have more issues later on.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 AM

Taking the car back tomorrow...will keep you all posted.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 AM

Dropped my 550i XDrive, M Sport at the dealership this morning to look into the issue. Went out with the Shop Foreman for a spin and thank goodness, he heard it!! - actually he heard it several times. Luckily, it just so happens that the Engineer will also be there today so hopefully he'll hear it as well and they'll begin the process of a diagnosis and fix.

Got a loaner and dont intend to return it until the issue is fully resolved.

Hang in there gents...will keep you posted and please do the same with your progress.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
Just talked to BMWNA. The lady I was transferred to was not aware of the issue/complaint. I asked that I be able to send the thread to her for her to read/review and forward as she felt best.

She was made aware that I am taking my car in on Monday. She said she will follow up with my dealer on Tuesday as to the problem(s) and certainly offer any assistance and additional resources.

An additional note, when I made my service appointment I asked to speak with the shop foreman. He called me back and said that he had heard the complaint and had another can in for that reason. He indicated whatever part he ordered for it would take about 3 weeks to get in.
1999 323i
Old 11-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonw View Post
Just talked to BMWNA. The lady I was transferred to was not aware of the issue/complaint. I asked that I be able to send the thread to her for her to read/review and forward as she felt best.

She was made aware that I am taking my car in on Monday. She said she will follow up with my dealer on Tuesday as to the problem(s) and certainly offer any assistance and additional resources.

An additional note, when I made my service appointment I asked to speak with the shop foreman. He called me back and said that he had heard the complaint and had another can in for that reason. He indicated whatever part he ordered for it would take about 3 weeks to get in.
3w...that's a long time but not bad if it includes ZF retuning/retooling their production line to consistently produce working valve blocks. If the valve block is the culprit. Perhaps it's just sw to control the valve action within tighter tolerances that is needed. I think 3w rules out that your foreman is going to pull the "rubber around the metal line" solution on you. Scary that this still seems to be an issue only known by a few if any at BMWNA.

My car has now been in for 3 days with no update yet. I'll call them tomorrow for status if they don't call me first.

Last edited by solstice; 11-18-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Update!

Guys,

Believe it or not, I just got my car back - same day - and all seems fine. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I took the car into the dealership this morning and and the foreman went out with me and heard the noise. He informaed me that the Regional Technical Engineer ("RTE") was actually going to be there today, and that he'd have him take a look. The RTE took out the car and heard the noise as well...here's the formal skinny:

Complaint: Customer states there is a grinding sound coming from the steering when turning

Cause: Insufficient insulation on rear ARS line

Correction: As per RTE, rear ARS supply line road tested after insulation was installed and was unable to reproduce noise

I picked up the car this evening and haven't heard a single peep - took all sorts of turns, accelerating, braking, left, right, tight, gradual and nothing. I'm hoping that this is the fix and wanted to communicate it with all of you. My fingers are crossed that this thing is resolved. I will continue to keep you all posted, especially if anything goes wrong again.

Good Luck!!
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: '11 550i
Like Mike Miller in Roundel says: "Seems like today, BMW leaves the final R&D up to dealership technicians to sort out"
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 11-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Thanks Nelquan. I also hope that it's that simple and that it's not just a "Tylenol fix" that reduces symptoms while the sickness is still there.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Got a call from my SA today and said the part came in. Since I originally thought it was going to take several weeks, I returned the loaner and picked up my car last weekend. I'll be bringing it in again this Saturday for the fix and checking out another loaner. Hopefully it doesn't take too long and the problem gets resolved. I'll post again when I have any new info. *crossing fingers*
Old 11-19-2010, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelquan View Post
Guys,

Believe it or not, I just got my car back - same day - and all seems fine. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I took the car into the dealership this morning and and the foreman went out with me and heard the noise. He informaed me that the Regional Technical Engineer ("RTE") was actually going to be there today, and that he'd have him take a look. The RTE took out the car and heard the noise as well...here's the formal skinny:

Complaint: Customer states there is a grinding sound coming from the steering when turning

Cause: Insufficient insulation on rear ARS line

Correction: As per RTE, rear ARS supply line road tested after insulation was installed and was unable to reproduce noise

I picked up the car this evening and haven't heard a single peep - took all sorts of turns, accelerating, braking, left, right, tight, gradual and nothing. I'm hoping that this is the fix and wanted to communicate it with all of you. My fingers are crossed that this thing is resolved. I will continue to keep you all posted, especially if anything goes wrong again.

Good Luck!!
Hey Nelquan, Thanks for posting. Glad to hear they may have fixed the issue. I did have a question though. Was the sound you were hearing coming from the front or rear of the car? I was just a bit confused since the fix was to add additional insulation at the rear ARS line and I know the sound I'm getting is coming from the front end.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 AM

Solstice, I'm with you on that man. Drove the car HARD this morning and not a peep. I plan to speak with the Foreman today so that I can get his first hand account.

BiggerKahuna, my sound was coming from the FRONT of the vehicle. Specifically, it seemed as though it was coming from the front left/middle. While the repair seems to have been made in the back of the vehicle (not exactly sure where the "rear" ARS would be fixed) it seems to have resolved the problem which I too thought was in the front area of the vehicle.

Will check in again once I've spoken with the foreman and please do the same once you've picked up your vehicle. What part did you have replaced again??
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerkahuna View Post
Got a call from my SA today and said the part came in. Since I originally thought it was going to take several weeks, I returned the loaner and picked up my car last weekend. I'll be bringing it in again this Saturday for the fix and checking out another loaner. Hopefully it doesn't take too long and the problem gets resolved. I'll post again when I have any new info. *crossing fingers*
Perhaps the ars valve block on order was replaced with a walk to Home depot for a piece of rubber hose
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 f10 550iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Perhaps the ars valve block on order was replaced with a walk to Home depot for a piece of rubber hose
Solstice, are they working on yours today? Any update?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Too funny Solstice! Let's hope this truly is the fix.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5 '08 View Post
Solstice, are they working on yours today? Any update?
No rubber hose for me, at least not yet. My service rep. just told me that they got green light from bmw corporate to order and replace the ars valve block for this issue. It will take about 5 days to ship from Germany. My car will stay at the dealer until it's repaired. I can't help being suspicious about the insulation solution since my car did not have the grinding until the valve block was replaced. You would think that insufficient insulation would have been insufficient with the old valve block as well. Well, well, we'll see how things turn out. I'm really hoping the valve block will be the fix on my car since it just feel more as going after the source instead of the symptom.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 PM

Interesting. Especially since my grinding was occuring before I even drove the thing off the lot. Valve Block as an issue has not come into play (yet), but this is clearly good to know, particularly the OK from corporate to get the part. Thanks for the update Solstice...will be monitoring my "fix" through the weekend and will touch base with you guys if anything changes (negative).

Def want o know if your new part remedies the situation without any insulation.

agio0308, whatever happend with your fix? Sounds like it was identical to mine. Would like to know if you've had any additional problems/issues.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM

It seems like production date plays a role. My car was built in June and I think all commenters here with the grinding noise symptom are of September or newer build date. None of the other early "dhp buyers" as pharding have reported the issue. My car didn't have it either until I got a new valve block in October. If it is the valve block it's likely faulty from the factory and I got a bad one with my replacement while I had a good one originally until it was contaminated by my broken ars pump. Or it really is an insulation issue it's just that I don't think they touched the rear ars lines when my pump and valve block was replaced.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM

One way or the other friend, I'm hopeful that we're close to having this thing figured out and that the "fix" in either scenario (if it isn't both) is not monumental. Will touch base soon.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550 ix
Ok fellas. Got the car back today after a week. According to the Service Dept, they replaced the insulators and, sure enough, grinding issue is still present. Gonna bring the car back next week. Hopefully, Germany will have a resolution to this whole debacle soon. If not, the cars goin' back.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Ready for next ED

Mein Auto: 2008 335ic
Great (said with a sarcastic tone). My 550 is being built as I write this. I have my fingers crossed.
  • 1980 323i
  • A couple beater 2002tis