Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Ready for next ED

Mein Auto: 2008 335ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamigs View Post
Nelquan, excuse my ignorance please. What is a valve block (i.e. what is its functionality), how many exist on the car, how big is it, and how intrusive is it to get it swapped? Do you know any one of these?
Thanks in advance.
This is a major suspension transplant. This is the core of the active suspension system.
  • 1980 323i
  • A couple beater 2002tis
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
User Solstice should have ars pump and valve block was replaced shortly. Hoping for a positive post from him.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
User Solstice should have ars pump and valve block was replaced shortly. Hoping for a positive post from him.
+1. No BMW owner should go through what solstice is going through.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Ready for next ED

Mein Auto: 2008 335ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
+1. No BMW owner should go through what solstice is going through.
I agree. I am a little worried as my 550i is on its way. I will be test driving before signing.
  • 1980 323i
  • A couple beater 2002tis
Old 12-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Update. My car was intermittently giving me the grinding sensation as mentioned here. Well, lets just say it "fixed" itself. The other day I got a warning "dynamic drive malfunction" with a subsequent "reduced handling characteristics" warning. Well, let's just say reduced put it lightly. It is not wise to drive the car much without the system working as it pitches in corners like a school bus!!! I went into the dealer Wednesday and they diagnosed the ARS/ valve block had a faulty valve. They overnighted the part from Cali and I had my car back Thursday. If you are waiting more than a day or two I would raise hell, I had it fixed the next day!!

I may be crazy but I think the car feels better than before he problem showed up. I can't say what specifically, but it feels like I am getting more feedback. So far I am very happy to say the least!!

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Say more on this Emilner. How many miles did you have on your car when this happened? And did it happen out of the blue? Also, any idea as to how intrusive the fix was, like how big the part was and what else did they have to take apart to get in there etc.?

It is kind of a bummer that we would all now be waiting for it to die so that it gives a code for the service people to act on.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 550i SP, 335i c, MB AMG
It is amazing how the poor steering also has reliability issues. So unfortunate, and one must question BMW's judgement here.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Update. My car was intermittently giving me the grinding sensation as mentioned here. Well, lets just say it "fixed" itself. The other day I got a warning "dynamic drive malfunction" with a subsequent "reduced handling characteristics" warning. Well, let's just say reduced put it lightly. It is not wise to drive the car much without the system working as it pitches in corners like a school bus!!! I went into the dealer Wednesday and they diagnosed the ARS/ valve block had a faulty valve. They overnighted the part from Cali and I had my car back Thursday. If you are waiting more than a day or two I would raise hell, I had it fixed the next day!!

I may be crazy but I think the car feels better than before he problem showed up. I can't say what specifically, but it feels like I am getting more feedback. So far I am very happy to say the least!!
thank goodness it was fixed quickly
Old 12-05-2010, 11:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
It's been about a week since I've checked what's been going on in the forum.

As an update, I picked up my car on Saturday after about two weeks. The valve block unit had been replace and so far so good. I haven't had a chance to drive it around much since I got it but things seem to be okay so far. I"m going to give it a few days before I'm really going to be really believe that the problem is gone.

While they were doing the fix, the thought came to mind that if the valve block is really the issue, I can't believe the root cause of the problem can be fixed so quickly and easily. I would assume that the supplier for this part (I'm guessing a sub tier supplier) would first have to diagnose what's faulty with the unit, perform some sort of redesign, and then re-release the part. Pulling one of the current valve block units off the shelf would result in just reinstalling a faulty part and thus a short term fix.

Maybe that's just me being pessimistic. I really do hope this is the end of it. Only time will tell.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerkahuna View Post

As an update, I picked up my car on Saturday after about two weeks. The valve block unit had been replace and so far so good. I haven't had a chance to drive it around much since I got it but things seem to be okay so far. I"m going to give it a few days before I'm really going to be really believe that the problem is gone.

While they were doing the fix, the thought came to mind that if the valve block is really the issue, I can't believe the root cause of the problem can be fixed so quickly and easily. I would assume that the supplier for this part (I'm guessing a sub tier supplier) would first have to diagnose what's faulty with the unit, perform some sort of redesign, and then re-release the part. Pulling one of the current valve block units off the shelf would result in just reinstalling a faulty part and thus a short term fix.

Maybe that's just me being pessimistic. I really do hope this is the end of it. Only time will tell.
No not pessimistic just practical in your interpretation, I agree with what you say.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
It is amazing how the poor steering also has reliability issues. So unfortunate, and one must question BMW's judgement here.
Except it's not the steering. It's the suspension. It's not related to the Electric Power Steering in any way.

Oh, and the ARS system has been around since the previous generation 7 series.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerkahuna View Post

Not necessarily.

It may not be an issue with a bad design. It could be an issue with bad manufacturing.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Not necessarily.

It may not be an issue with a bad design. It could be an issue with bad manufacturing.
I believe this to be correct. If you think back this problem didn't surface until October and the 5 has been out much longer than that. So for the first few months everything was fine and then they must have produced a bad batch. I hope this fixes the problem as it was super irritating to have a new car feel broken.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
I believe this to be correct. If you think back this problem didn't surface until October and the 5 has been out much longer than that. So for the first few months everything was fine and then they must have produced a bad batch. I hope this fixes the problem as it was super irritating to have a new car feel broken.
Manufacturing is traditionally a strength of german cars, so this is really an interesting comment. Has something happened in production that a bad batch could be produced?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i
I have my service appointment on Wednesday to have a ARS/Valve Block installed, per BMW authorizing the repair. I will post any information I get after I get my car back.
1999 323i
Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Manufacturing is traditionally a strength of german cars, so this is really an interesting comment. Has something happened in production that a bad batch could be produced?
This is a component made by an outside manufacturer (as are many). Subject to it's own reliability issues.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamigs View Post
Say more on this Emilner. How many miles did you have on your car when this happened? And did it happen out of the blue? Also, any idea as to how intrusive the fix was, like how big the part was and what else did they have to take apart to get in there etc.?

It is kind of a bummer that we would all now be waiting for it to die so that it gives a code for the service people to act on.
I had roughly 1400 miles on the car. The noise appeared 3-4 times and then one day while driving the warnings came on. It did not sound too obtrusive, they had the part delivered and installed by noon. No idea on what the install entails, not my end of the business.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Quote:
This is a component made by an outside manufacturer (as are many). Subject to it's own reliability issues.
I fear if this is correct, that issues like these could potentially crop up more and more, if quality control is lax.
So many Car manufacturers "Out source" parts from cheap labour areas, they can not keep an eye on quality control.
The issue with BMW and tyres holding up production!!!! just what's that all about, poor organisation that's what.
In the long run this causes extra costs and potential lost sales.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
GO AWAY. Seriously, can't you tell when EVERYONE does not want your opinion? You are like a parrot that just keeps sqauking the same garbage over and over. The steering is not poor, I find it perfect for me, never had one problem with it. As far as this issue-IT HAPPENS. No car is perfect. In the first 90 days an average car will have 1-1.2 problems with it- that's life. I've had new MB's and they all had an issue or two that needs to be fixed- that is why you have a warranty! No manu is perfect- my LS430 went back for a major engine over haul with less than 10k on it (valves problem).

Until YOU actually own a new f10 and have your own experiences stop guessing about others. The sampling you see on the forum is only a very small percentage of cars out there (and people on forums tend to be picky, looking for an answer to a problem or fanatical)....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
All that aside, at least it seems as though the problem has been identified and can be rectified. My appointment is tomorrow morning.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I fear if this is correct, that issues like these could potentially crop up more and more, if quality control is lax.
So many Car manufacturers "Out source" parts from cheap labour areas, they can not keep an eye on quality control.
The issue with BMW and tyres holding up production!!!! just what's that all about, poor organisation that's what.
In the long run this causes extra costs and potential lost sales.
Every company outsources some of the components. It is impossible for a car manufacturer to make every part for the car. Same goes for other companies. Apple makes almost nothing on the iPad nearly every single part is made by another company- it is even assembled by another company. It is how they QC the manu process that counts. Sounds like a bad batch of parts was made, the key is finding the problem and fixing it at the source- I doubt it will impact sales at all...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Every company outsources some of the components. It is impossible for a car manufacturer to make every part for the car. Same goes for other companies. Apple makes almost nothing on the iPad nearly every single part is made by another company- it is even assembled by another company. It is how they QC the manu process that counts. Sounds like a bad batch of parts was made, the key is finding the problem and fixing it at the source- I doubt it will impact sales at all...
Exactly.

I'd like to see a study of car manufacturers showing what's made in house and what's subbed out (even to a wholly owned supplier).

All the manufacturers do it, it's just how cars are made these days. And QC is baked in there, it's just not on the manufacturer per-se. But you'd better believe it's in the supply contract!

I believe that outsourcing to smaller, more nimble and more specialized companies for large scale manufacturing like this is a good thing. Keeps the $$ down, keeps the quality up, generally.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i X-Drive
Emilner/Biggerkahuna...this is great news...seems as though the problem has been identified (really, really hoping this to be true). My car is still in the shop with the valve block unit ordered as of last Friday.

Solstice/Moonsault270...send us an update as soon as your cqars come out and you've driven them for a few days.
Retired 2004 X5 3.0
Retired 1998 328i
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what outside components BMW relies on. FOr example, it is well known that GM makes the auto transmission on a certain 3 series.

For outside components, i wonder if that explains some of the poor reliability scores that BMW has encountered lately.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It would be interesting to know what outside components BMW relies on. FOr example, it is well known that GM makes the auto transmission on a certain 3 series.

For outside components, i wonder if that explains some of the poor reliability scores that BMW has encountered lately.
They usually make very few components soup to nuts. They assemble them from parts made by other companies. They may assemble the engine, but they don't make the pistons...

2013 SL63 AMG black....