Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 05 745i
Battery is draining overnight

I seem to be having an inordinate amount of trouble lately. But thanks to forums like this I at least have a shortcut to diagnosing these issues. Here is the latest:

Just replaced alternator and battery checks out. Car drives great and alternator actually solved rough idle, but now if the car sits overnight it will not start. Battery is 100% dead. Now this is happening only 50% of the time, the other 50% it cranks with no issue whatsoever. Any thoughts???

Also my alarm has been going off randomly and I am told the sensor under hood can be disabled with ease; anybody know where that is???

And btw the alarm is not what is draining the battery, I don't set it at night..

Thanks!!!

2005 745i with 74k
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2010, 01:56 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Mein Auto: 05 BMW 745Li
Was the alternator new or refurbished ? Did you check the charging system ? Was battery replaced recently ? If the battery was replaced at one point, was it properly registered ?
IMO...You need to get these things straightened out first. Did your car go to sleep within 30 minutes or so after the key removed ? After that you might wanna do a draw test. Good luck.

Beautiful car is hard findBeautiful girls are just around the corner.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

I don't have answers to many of the issues you raised. I don't know what the charging system is other than an alternator and the alternator was refurbished but has been tested since installing. And with regard to registering the battery, would this need to be done due to changing the alternator, and how is this done, and would this cause a drain if it isn't registered properly? Thanks for your response, I appreciate your advice. And you have a great looking 7.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaug30 View Post
I don't have answers to many of the issues you raised. I don't know what the charging system is other than an alternator and the alternator was refurbished but has been tested since installing. And with regard to registering the battery, would this need to be done due to changing the alternator, and how is this done, and would this cause a drain if it isn't registered properly? Thanks for your response, I appreciate your advice. And you have a great looking 7.
For info the Battery must be registered to the car if it's been changed ....this is done at the stealers via the OBD connector beside the drivers door......OR via INPA software on a laptop with an adapter cable you can buy.

The Battery is controlled and monitored by the 'Power Module' fitted in the car.

The Power Module controls the following functions:

Power module functions

* Optimised charging
* Reduction of load-side peak consumption
* Shut-down of auxiliary consumer units
* Quiescent current monitoring
* Distribution mode
* Automatic electrical system isolation
* Load deactivation
* Electronic circuit breakers
* Central battery voltage notification
* Heated rear window (demister)
* Interior lights
* Boot lid and fuel filler flap control
* Data memory
* Fail-safe characteristics
* Check Control messages
* Diagnosis

Battery replacement

When a Battery Replacement is done this informs the Power Module of a battery change. The following operations are performed:

* The battery capacity is reset depending on the seasonal temperature.
* The current kilometre reading is stored.
* The stored battery statistical values (current, voltage, battery charge state) are deleted.
* The stored temperature statistical values are deleted.

So basically if the Battery hasn't been registered then the Power Module will still think the old battery is still fitted as it hasn't erased the old battery statistical values and updated it with the new battery values.

Last edited by TechFreak; 11-01-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Now you're asking too many questions, also...lol The charging system can be checked or tested with or by the Voltmeter while the car is running, you would use the black lead/cable to connect to the any chasis ground of the car and the red lead/cable to the red jumper terminal in the engine compartment/under hood. No, you don't have to register the battery if you only replaced alternator. How old is your battery ? Either the battery doesn't hold charge or the alt. doesn't do its job by charging the battery. Or perhaps there's a draw somewhere in the car or the car doesn't go to sleep at all.
Providing more info can get you better answers, remember that.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 PM
'' Blue Pill Tester ''

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreak View Post
For info the Battery must be registered to the car if it's been changed ....this is done at the stealers via the OBD connector beside the drivers door......OR via INPA software on a laptop with an adapter cable you can buy.

The Battery is controlled and monitored by the 'Power Module' fitted in the car.

The Power Module controls the following functions:

Power module functions

* Optimised charging
* Reduction of load-side peak consumption
* Shut-down of auxiliary consumer units
* Quiescent current monitoring
* Distribution mode
* Automatic electrical system isolation
* Load deactivation
* Electronic circuit breakers
* Central battery voltage notification
* Heated rear window (demister)
* Interior lights
* Boot lid and fuel filler flap control
* Data memory
* Fail-safe characteristics
* Check Control messages
* Diagnosis

Battery replacement

When a Battery Replacement is done this informs the Power Module of a battery change. The following operations are performed:

* The battery capacity is reset depending on the seasonal temperature.
* The current kilometre reading is stored.
* The stored battery statistical values (current, voltage, battery charge state) are deleted.
* The stored temperature statistical values are deleted.

So basically if the Battery hasn't been registered then the Power Module will still think the old battery is still fitted as it hasn't erased the old battery statistical values and updated it with the new battery values.
Great job, TF. As always...Very informative. Thank you...my friend.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
I seem to be having an inordinate amount of trouble lately. But thanks to forums like this I at least have a shortcut to diagnosing these issues. Here is the latest:

Just replaced alternator and battery checks out. Car drives great and alternator actually solved rough idle, but now if the car sits overnight it will not start. Battery is 100% dead. Now this is happening only 50% of the time, the other 50% it cranks with no issue whatsoever. Any thoughts???

Also my alarm has been going off randomly and I am told the sensor under hood can be disabled with ease; anybody know where that is???

And btw the alarm is not what is draining the battery, I don't set it at night..

Thanks!!!

2005 745i with 74k
If it were me i'd change the battery and get it registered and see if the faults go away....or you could be on a wild goose chase ....
Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreak View Post
If it were me i'd change the battery and get it registered and see if the faults go away....or you could be on a wild goose chase ....
+1.

Quote:

The battery and alternator go hand in hand; if you just had a reason to replace the alternator, there is a pretty good chance that your battery will be dying or shot by now as well, and your symptoms kind of support that line of thought.

The hood sensor / switch is a pretty cheap part, and is the little switch just in front of the driver's side microfilter, along the top of the engine firewall, just toward the engine from the driver's shock tower. You should be able to just unplug it to test whether this is your issue.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 11-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745li
when your alternator goes bad it can kill your battery. also i have a question do you have comfort access? if yes have that checked out
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys. All is very helpful. In an unusual piece of good luck the problem has righted itself, leading me to believe that the battery did not have enough time to fully charge or perhaps is on its way out. So I will change out soon and follow the registration process. Thanks Again.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745Li
Any Luck?

Did you have any luck? My battery drains every so often. Something is draining it, but it could be the TCU, but I have yet to check it yet. Until then, I purchased a BMW battery charger and charge my battery regularly to keep it charged.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 03 760LI V12
U could click the battery on low reserve this will do two things. Cut the power faster at night to a low drain. Second it will prove u have something keeping car on at night. Batter saith is in trunk open bettery cargo area look it says
reserave on or off. Push it foward. Until u get a new battery.