Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: A4 Utlrasport; Tundra
6 speed manual transmission

Hello all,
This is my first post on this forum as I do not currently own BMW. I have been a Audi guy for many years. The thing is that I have discovered a 2004 manual 6spd tranny X5 3.0i for sale in my area and am very interested in it. It seems to be one of the only vehicles avaible in this class with a manual, however rare they are out there. My question is how do you all like the manual. I saw a refrence to CDV and removing it....... What is that? Also are all of the suspensions height leveling? How realiable is that system? This car has 63k, 6spd manual, Cold weather, Wood on the dash and console but not on the steering wheel (does that mean "Premium Pkg") and leather of course Also it has Panorama sunroof. It is for sale a little under $20K. What kind of RPM does the 6spd pull on the highway? I have read about 1st gear being very low. Also very importantly what problem areas mechanically or electrically should I look at when inspecting one for purchace. I am very mechanically inclined and a professional marine engineer so dont be afraid to get a little technical as I'm sure many of you enthusiasts are out there.
Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Imola 4.6

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6
if you are moving from an audi sedan manual, the expect the clutch to be a little more stiff than others. IT IS VERY FUN TO DRIVE, dont get me wrong. and it sits at 2300(ish) rpm at 75mph. known problems, not many, since the AUTO has the problems, manual is way more reliable on the X5! enjoy. great car.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestguy View Post
Thanks in advance
I have driven a 2004 3.0 automatic for over six years and 94K miles. I love the thing. It is my daily driver/beater and Home Depot hauler. My mother in law's 2001 3.0 has 73K miles. She has followed the best practices on her fluids and also hasn't seen a drive train problem. She will have driven hers for ten years next month.

I don't believe the 3.0 was available with load leveling suspension. I could be off on that. The CDV is a clutch delay valve. It was engineered to reduce the difficulty owners would find engaging the clutch. The reality is that it causes wear on the clutch and makes 'spirited driving' arduous.

The steering wheel you described is the Sport package steering wheel. I don't have any idea about the RPMs, but the manuals did get better gas mileage than the automatics. Manuals are very rare. They didn't sell well at all from the dealer and they sell even worse used. I would use this to your advantage.

I have been quoted as low as $12K trade in for my '04 automatic. It has every option (including the load floor) except for NAV. I am a detail freak. The thing is polished to a shine so deep that non-BMW people think it's new. At inspection this year, the lady did a double take on my year. She said she thought it was a 2010. Granted my miles are higher, but that manual tranny is a buyer's best friend. My bet is that the nearest a BMW dealer would get to that thing was $13K. And that's a maybe. I bet he got trade-in offers closer to $9-$10K.

My inline 6 consumes about a quart of oil between 5K oil changes. Within BMW's spec. By now, BMW's 'Lifetime fluids' in the tranny and diffs needs attention. I flushed my automatic at 50K and am set again at 100K. The diffs fluids were changed at 50K and 90K.

My truck sorry- SAV- has been pretty good. Wheel bearings, go pretty easy. The front suspension is probably ready for a close look. Window regulators fail, but I have been lucky these last three years. Listen for pulley noise up front. All very easy stuff to address. The folding mirrors fail and are not easy to fix- They must be replaced. I actually bought one and have yet to put it on. Through some connections, it was less than $500. I was quoted as high as $600. A used one was $375.

On my E39 (540), plastic radiators snap like twigs. I have never had a problem with my X5 nor on my wife's 330 (same motor as X5).

Last edited by PropellerHead; 10-31-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 03 x5 3.0i 5 speed
i have a 03 x5 3.0i 5 speed and it has a 100xxx... love it so much i replace the unlock valve from the clutch so it will give u more kind a sport clutch..u can purchase that at bavarian.com,,,,,they said x5 handle like the 5series,i dont think so...once u get your hands on x5 u wont even think about audi anymore...lol good luck
Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Imola 4.6

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by r8ted-x5 View Post
i have a 03 x5 3.0i 5 speed and it has a 100xxx... love it so much i replace the unlock valve from the clutch so it will give u more kind a sport clutch..u can purchase that at bavarian.com,,,,,they said x5 handle like the 5series,i dont think so...once u get your hands on x5 u wont even think about audi anymore...lol good luck
WELL SAID PARTNER !!