Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Funny New X3 vs Audi Q5

I know this is probably fixed in favor of BMW somehow but it was fun to watch.

http://www.fastmotoring.com/index.ph...-q5-vs-bmw-x3/

I'm glad it wasn't the other way around.
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
ESP is off on the Audi, that's why, BMW tricked that Q5
Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BMWX3 View Post
Is this ESP something that is on all the time or something you just turn on in special conditions. Apparently the BMW traction was off too. I would want whatever controls this performance to be on all the time (like the X-drive) because you never know when your wheels will slip. If the ESP is something that is usually on, then it is not a fair test. If it is something that you turn on under special conditions (like a low gear) then it is fair. We would keep in mind once one realizes he/she is stuck, they could then turn it on.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I think the Q5 is much better looking and I question the value of the test with the system shut off.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I think the Q5 is much better looking and I question the value of the test with the system shut off.
I like the look of the X3 better but with black you lose all the lines and the rear looks bloated again because there is no rear black line (or it is masked). The Q5 might look better (if so slightly) from the side but front and rear, I'd pick the X3.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
I vote for the Infiniti FX50. Not practical but nice looking.

The old style X5 and the old style RX were also nice....the new styles not so much.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
I vote for the Infiniti FX50. Not practical but nice looking.

The old style X5 and the old style RX were also nice....the new styles not so much.
The Infinity FX is definitely nice looking but is in a different class. The Ex is in our class. The new Porsche Cayenne is really nice looking (options drive the price up too high though).
Old 11-02-2010, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
Hey Jack wagonS!!!!! --How does this turn into a "Gee that one's pretty, Daddy, and I really like it in pink" thread? The Bimmer just beat the Audi up a slippery hill! Of course BMW obviously knew this would happen since you cant permanently disable its LSD-type system, while you can do so in the Audi when both systems have ESP off. Its a test that has been done before -- there's an old youtube of a BMW 5 series beating an A8 on a similar test. Its stupd and to me a cheap trick. Sorry -- but quattro is more of a true awd system with less electronic gimmickry than x-drive.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
Hey Jack wagonS!!!!! --How does this turn into a "Gee that one's pretty, Daddy, and I really like it in pink" thread? The Bimmer just beat the Audi up a slippery hill! Of course BMW obviously knew this would happen since you cant permanently disable its LSD-type system, while you can do so in the Audi when both systems have ESP off. Its a test that has been done before -- there's an old youtube of a BMW 5 series beating an A8 on a similar test. Its stupd and to me a cheap trick. Sorry -- but quattro is more of a true awd system with less electronic gimmickry than x-drive.
LOL

I don't know the Audi Q5 so I'm not sure whether under typical situations the "ESP" is on or off. That is the key question. It shouldn't be something you have to stop and think about "I need more traction, let me switch to this traction setting". Most cars have those settings. It would be nice if the every day settings could handle this situation.

That woman is funny playing the damsel in distress...lol I'm sure she's tried it over and over and she's there acting surprised. lol "I'm stuck".

It seems like what they are saying is without special traction settings, the BMW wins but if in the Audi, the "ESP" is something you never trun off, it is unfair.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:58 PM

that woman is a total jackwagon. The Q5 is a real Jack-wagen. Really liking that word.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 PM

I enjoyed this Indian video. I know it is the old X3 but what gets me excited and makes my mouth water is all the complaints they had about the old one has been corrected. In addition with the 35i, the Q5 has no power advantage. It makes me thing the new X3 would blow the Q5 to pieces. lol That excites me. The technology upgrade is significant.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 AM

theyre total jackwagons...jk

the Q5 is a snooze wagon. Bimmer = drivers car. what else is new?

funny how they liked the auto trans and felt it was a smoother ride.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
theyre total jackwagons...jk

the Q5 is a snooze wagon. Bimmer = drivers car. what else is new?

funny how they liked the auto trans and felt it was a smoother ride.
I really enjoyed it because every complaint they had against BMW were things I think have been addressed in the new F25. I'd like to see them do the test again with the F25. Also, part of their complaints was due to the power of the X3 engine available in India which was inferior to the Q5. Here we would be testing one with equivalent HP so those issues would not exist.

I'm glad BMW listened and dealt with every complaint. If people had not been criticizing the looks, ride, interior materials, etc. they would not have fixed them (by their own initiative to get better). Also we probably owe thanks to the Q5 for including more technology. This meant if BMW was to compete they had to bring high end features like the i-drive, rear view camera, etc. to the X3. If not, they would have left out all these features to help separate it from the X5.

I can't wait to see the F25 compared to the GLK and Q5

looks BMW X3
ride BMW X3
handling BMW X3
technology BMW X3
interior leg room BMW X3
trunk space BMW X3
inner materials BMW X3
Nav screen size BMW X3
warranty BMW X3
fuel efficiency BMW X3
0-60 BMW X3
and so on and so on...lol
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
Back to the initial topic ( since I can't take the indian seriously ) the esp in audi's is always on unless you really want your tires to slip, I.e. if stuck in really deep snow on an uphill , also the tires on the X3 are clearly superior to the ones equiped on the Q5. All that being said I'm still getting the X3 next year since I have an audi now and I love both cars equally.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big W View Post
Back to the initial topic ( since I can't take the indian seriously ) the esp in audi's is always on unless you really want your tires to slip, I.e. if stuck in really deep snow on an uphill , also the tires on the X3 are clearly superior to the ones equiped on the Q5. All that being said I'm still getting the X3 next year since I have an audi now and I love both cars equally.
Thanks. If the ESP is always on then it is not a fair test.

The test should be done with whatever natural features the car has "on" (no special traction etc.).

The Indian one was good. The only problem is the engines they give them are weaker. The thing I enjoyed most about it was that everything they complained about will be addressed with the new F25. It was almost fun to hear the complaints.

I hope these same people do an update when the F25 comes out...although by then, maybe Audi will have improved some things on the Q5.

Funny you mention tires (X3). That seems to be a sore point around here.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
I have seen a similar test with an Audi A4/A6 when one of the axles looses traction. The Audi Quatro system can't distribute the torque to the axel that has traction as effective as BMW's Xdrive.

2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 PM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
I have seen a similar test with an Audi A4/A6 when one of the axles looses traction. The Audi Quatro system can't distribute the torque to the axel that has traction as effective as BMW's Xdrive.

Most versions of quattro distribute torque as a ratio, i.e. one axle gets a multiple of the other's torque. In the roller scenario, one axle has absolutely zero traction. So the other axle gets a multiple of zero, which is zero.

However, in the real world, even in snow and ice, you'll rarely if ever get absolutely zero traction unless perhaps you have summer tires in very low temps. Even with a minute amount of traction at the slipping wheels, it will be able to deliver multiples of that to the other axle and get you out of there

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Guys, I was on A6/Q5 presentation by the Audi and I was on new 535 presentation by BMW where you can drive competitors cars A6 and MBZ E350.
Audi A6 on Audi event was awesome car.
Audi A6 on BMW 535 presentation was slow f#$% moving POS.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
However, in the real world, even in snow and ice, you'll rarely if ever get absolutely zero traction unless perhaps you have summer tires in very low temps. Even with a minute amount of traction at the slipping wheels, it will be able to deliver multiples of that to the other axle and get you out of there
Bang on, so a roller test like that proves absolutely nothing, cause it ain't a real world winter scenario

Both are good, but Torsen(real AWD drivetrain)) is a better system then Haldex(AWD on demand)
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
And a lo range locker is better than both!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: e46, X3
Quote:
Bang on, so a roller test like that proves absolutely nothing, cause it ain't a real world winter scenario

Both are good, but Torsen(real AWD drivetrain)) is a better system then Haldex(AWD on demand)
you got it!

if you like the X3 better then the Q5 for other reasons, fine, but don't believe this test...

it doesn't prove that the X3 will perform any better in real world driving conditions, snow, ice, etc.

The quattro is a great system, and you have to intentionally turn off ESP (its always on by default) in order to create this result....
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
The quattro is a great system, and you have to intentionally turn off ESP (its always on by default) in order to create this result....
Then again, we need to be carefull with the ''Quattro'' name, cause the Audi A3 uses the Haldex system.

All that to say, I really like the way my X3 performs in winter with it's haldex system.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
Quote:
Then again, we need to be carefull with the ''Quattro'' name, cause the Audi A3 uses the Haldex system.

All that to say, I really like the way my X3 performs in winter with it's haldex system.
Good point. You have to be careful with the Haldex name as well, because what's in a VW R32 isn't the same as what's in a Bugatti Veyron.

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
Good point. You have to be careful with the Haldex name as well, because what's in a VW R32 isn't the same as what's in a Bugatti Veyron.
Exactly, and SAAB's Haldex system is one of the most advance in the market
Old 11-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Q5 Water Pump Failure Recall

Nice.

"same here -went out yesterday, the bad thing is you also lose PS, so it was kind of difficult to get Q5 off the road, wife could not turn the steering wheel at all.
She was lucky it happen just as she pulled out of the drive way, I imagine losing PS at highway's speed... really, Audi should have recalled all of them 3.2 motors w/ plastic pumps."

"My second pump just went this morning. Almost 15k miles on the clock. Waited close to 3hrs for a Roadside Assistance tow to the dealer."

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2793568

----

These sound familiar. Problems with herking and jerking transmissions. Do these guys all go to the same engineering school?

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2010/audi/q5/

Last edited by PPXYZ; 11-29-2010 at 08:25 PM.