Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Adaptive Drive - smoother ride? (yes I know there are a million threads on it)

Ok before you blast me I know there are a million threads on this and I read through quite a few of them. Is the ride quality with adaptive drive BETTER than the X5 with standard suspension and stock RFT? I am coming from a 2012 with sport pack (19 inch wheels, sport suspension DELETE, michelin RFTs) and was wondering if the truck had AD would the impacts from bumps be softer.
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Ok before you blast me I know there are a million threads on this and I read through quite a few of them. Is the ride quality with adaptive drive BETTER than the X5 with standard suspension and stock RFT? I am coming from a 2012 with sport pack (19 inch wheels, sport suspension DELETE, michelin RFTs) and was wondering if the truck had AD would the impacts from bumps be softer.
one word. Yes.

Came from a 2011 X5/19's(michelins)/standard suspension. Now have 2012 X5/20's (214's)/AD, handles crisp and tight around curves, bumps are not nearly as harsh, no body roll, but not "cushy". The 19's and stock suspension was not nearly as smooth over rough roads.
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
one word. Yes.

Came from a 2011 X5/19's(michelins)/standard suspension. Now have 2012 X5/20's (214's)/AD, handles crisp and tight around curves, bumps are not nearly as harsh, no body roll, but not "cushy". The 19's and stock suspension was not nearly as smooth over rough roads.
Thank you! Helps a lot.
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
dnadrifter dnadrifter is offline
Registered User
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Just posted the exact same feedback as 335i on the adaptive drive thread. 50i/M sport/20s/AD, smoother than 35i premium with 19's.
__________________
2004 M3, Silver Gray / Blk, 6MT
2013 X5, 35i Sport Activity, Platinum Gray / Blk, AD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Any one else with feedback on 2VA in regards to ride comfort?
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 AM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
I have a diesel now with 20" wheels. It has the sport suspension delete. I find the ride to be poor. Not as far as impacts but rather the up and down motion of the body even over fairly flat pavement with some undulations. The 19" standard all seasons are better in the same car, although the jounce condition still exits, it is somewhat minimized. It is very fatiguing on long drives. I had the car for only three months and one of the reasons I wanted a different car was to get AD + 19s. Judging by all the feedback I read here, it would fix that issue completely. I've searched all over to find a car with AD and at this point driven three cars with AD.

The first one was a 50i 2011 M-Sport with AD and 20s factory Bridgestones. I found the ride to be pretty stable but still firm, very responsive to steering inputs. There was just not enough rough pavement on the test drive to be sure of the comfort of this setup. Couldn't tell much difference between sport and normal setting.

The next car I drove was the same day at a different dealer over much rougher pavement. This was a 2010 3.0 with M-Sport and adaptive drive with staggered factory 19s and factory Continentals. This car rode really bad. The jounce was unbearable and the impact harshness was terrible. It also had a very floaty feeling that I absolutely hated. The sport mode felt noticeably better as far as float goes. I would run from this car into my diesel.

They also had a brand new 13 35i M-sport with 20s, Bridgestones. The M-Sport comes with Sport suspension in this car. Driving over the same bumps and potholes as with the 10 + AD, this car felt great. It quickly controlled jounce and impacts were soaked up much better. I was surprised by how well it rode with the 20s and Sport suspension. Car felt light on it's feet.


Unsatisfied with my experience as far as answering the questions I had with ordering my next car and the suspension/wheel options, I set out on another test drive with a different dealer the very next day. They told me they had a 13 50i M-sport. This is the one car I haven't driven yet. I was hoping it would be the Standard M-Sport with the Air self leveling suspension. Dealer was clueless as most are. I was pretty confident it would be since almost none are ordered with the AD for dealer inventory. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the Sport button under the shift lever. This car had AD, M-performance on top of M-sport and 19" Continentals. This is the exact combo I almost ordered, sight unseen based on all the talk about AD here. I was glad now they had it. Took a pretty extensive test drive in it. Over rough pavement and a few turns and open stretches. What can I say, I'm sure glad I drove this car. The floaty feeling I had in the 2010 the previous day was present, albeit to a much lesser degree. I didn't find the ride to be either comfortable or sporty. It handled rough pavement rather poorly with impact harshness pretty unsettling. The steering also felt numb. On the high note, the engine is glorious. You can really feel the extra power over a standard 50i. And that sound!

Having never driven the car, I ended up ordering the M-sport/M-perfromace standard air, self leveling setup with the 20s. Will report back in two weeks.


.

Last edited by z51vette; 09-06-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 AM
gresch's Avatar
gresch gresch is offline
Don't be a hammer
Location: NY/NJ/LI
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 264
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
I'll have my X5 35d with 19's and AD on Saturday, so I'll be able to comment on the ride by Sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I have a diesel now with 20" wheels. It has the sport suspension delete. I find the ride to be poor. Not as far as impacts but rather the up and down motion of the body even over fairly flat pavement with some undulations. The 19" standard all seasons are better in the same car, although the jounce condition still exits, it is somewhat minimized. It is very fatiguing on long drives. I had the car for only three months and one of the reasons I wanted a different car was to get AD + 19s. Judging by all the feedback I read here, it would fix that issue completely. I've searched all over to find a car with AD and at this point driven three cars with AD.

The first one was a 50i 2011 M-Sport with AD and 20s factory Bridgestones. I found the ride to be pretty stable but still firm, very responsive to steering inputs. There was just not enough rough pavement on the test drive to be sure of the comfort of this setup. Couldn't tell much difference between sport and normal setting.

The next car I drove was the same day at a different dealer over much rougher pavement. This was a 2010 3.0 with M-Sport and adaptive drive with staggered factory 19s and factory Continentals. This car rode really bad. The jounce was unbearable and the impact harshness was terrible. It also had a very floaty feeling that I absolutely hated. The sport mode felt noticeably better as far as float goes. I would run from this car into my diesel.

They also had a brand new 13 35i M-sport with 20s, Bridgestones. The M-Sport comes with Sport suspension in this car. Driving over the same bumps and potholes as with the 10 + AD, this car felt great. It quickly controlled jounce and impacts were soaked up much better. I was surprised by how well it rode with the 20s and Sport suspension. Car felt light on it's feet.


Unsatisfied with my experience as far as answering the questions I had with ordering my next car and the suspension/wheel options, I set out on another test drive with a different dealer the very next day. They told me they had a 13 50i M-sport. This is the one car I haven't driven yet. I was hoping it would be the Standard M-Sport with the Air self leveling suspension. Dealer was clueless as most are. I was pretty confident it would be since almost none are ordered with the AD for dealer inventory. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the Sport button under the shift lever. This car had AD, M-performance on top of M-sport and 19" Continentals. This is the exact combo I almost ordered, sight unseen based on all the talk about AD here. I was glad now they had it. Took a pretty extensive test drive in it. Over rough pavement and a few turns and open stretches. What can I say, I'm sure glad I drove this car. The floaty feeling I had in the 2010 the previous day was present, albeit to a much lesser degree. I didn't find the ride to be either comfortable or sporty. It handled rough pavement rather poorly with impact harshness pretty unsettling. The steering also felt numb. On the high note, the engine is glorious. You can really feel the extra power over a standard 50i. And that sound!

Having never driven the car, I ended up ordering the M-sport/M-perfromace standard air, self leveling setup with the 20s. Will report back in two weeks.


.
This scares me... I am not getting M-sport with AD so I will only have 255 wide 19 inch tires with AD. Ugh.
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
This scares me... I am not getting M-sport with AD so I will only have 255 wide 19 inch tires with AD. Ugh.
AD is AD, it's the same in every trim. I think the floaty feeling and numb steering I got with AD was partially a consequence of the 19 M-Sport Continental summer tires. The all season Michelins handle pretty well in the standard trim.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,666
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
This scares me... I am not getting M-sport with AD so I will only have 255 wide 19 inch tires with AD. Ugh.
It isnt the tire sizes..ITS THE TIRES.

90% of posters here ignore tire models..(indeed, it is as if all BMWs come with one tire called "Stock Run Flats".)

Alignment and tire brand are critical to the overall ride quality.

Both my ADs had Michelins 255/50-19 Latitudes. Fine ride, IMO. Actually I wondered if all AD cars get Michelins?
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 PM
sarends sarends is offline
Bimmer Lover
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 71
Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
Ard, +1

I agree totally that the big difference in ride quality is the particular tire being used in a given application.

My 2011 X5 Xdrive50i AD has Continental "4X4 Contact SSR" 255/50/19 Run Flats, so not all AD models get Michelin.

As everyone here probably knows by now, I am NUTS over my X5 with AD. However, I do not have a very good feel for how good or bad these particular tires are (nothing to compare to). My gut feel is I think they are at least "OK". I plan to keep the 19 inch wheels for winter tires, and maybe for summer too. For this winter I am thinking about either Nokian Hallapelitta R or Pirelli Scorpions, both of which I have heard are great tires (for slightly different reasons).

Next Spring I plan to purchase a tire to optimize the X's handling (maybe Michelin Latitude) and I may or may not stick with the 19s. If I go to 20s, it would only be for looks as I think the right tire on 19s would probably handle just as well (or maybe better) than the 20s (all depending on the tire). In all cases I am moving away from run flats and am getting the spare tire kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
It isnt the tire sizes..ITS THE TIRES.

90% of posters here ignore tire models..(indeed, it is as if all BMWs come with one tire called "Stock Run Flats".)

Alignment and tire brand are critical to the overall ride quality.

Both my ADs had Michelins 255/50-19 Latitudes. Fine ride, IMO. Actually I wondered if all AD cars get Michelins?

Last edited by sarends; 09-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
fq fq is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: IL
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 338
Mein Auto: 745Li
I don't know about how well the Scorpions do on an X5, but I had them on a GL450 and it was the most awful tire. After about 5-6k miles from new, the road noise was extremely loud and got as bad as a 20-year old Kia's would have been by 9-10k miles. The tires wore like a SOB and needed replacement after 11k. BTW, I had the alignment and balancing checked when they started making the noise and it checked out fine. Replaced with Bridgestones and they worked like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarends View Post
Ard, +1

For this winter I am thinking about either Nokian Hallapelitta R or Pirelli Scorpions, both of which I have heard are great tires (for slightly different reasons).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
I'll have my X5 35d with 19's and AD on Saturday, so I'll be able to comment on the ride by Sunday.
patiently waiting for your update
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
does having 220 - self leveling suspension help?
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2012, 04:16 AM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,666
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
does having 220 - self leveling suspension help?
'help' what?
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Help bake cookies?

Just a guess but since the thread is about ad providing a smoother ride, he's probably asking about whether the self leveling suspension also helps make the ride smoother.

Since the inflation is mainly for compensating for additional weight in the rear from tongue weight or extra cargo, I would guess it wouldn't have as much impact on everyday ride and handling when unloaded.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Brumby - 1955 Holden FJ Ute
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Help bake cookies?

Just a guess but since the thread is about ad providing a smoother ride, he's probably asking about whether the self leveling suspension also helps make the ride smoother.

Since the inflation is mainly for compensating for additional weight in the rear from tongue weight or extra cargo, I would guess it wouldn't have as much impact on everyday ride and handling when unloaded.

Jay
Thank you Jay
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Neddizl Neddizl is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2012 bmw x5 35d
I have 2012 x5 35d with 20" AD and it is harsh drive but I like it,depends what u like,more softer ride is 19" AD,but I like feeling of conection to the road with 20"AD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms