Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Test Drive 535i GT

The wife and I test drove a 535i GT on Saturday. Alpine White with Venitian Beigh Dakota. We glanced at the GT during an Ultimate Drive event earlier in the summer but I thought we ought to take a closer look.

First off, it is really big. I don't think any pictures I have seen do justice to it's size. Sitting in the front seats looking forward it is fine other than the slightly elevated seating position. But looking to the rear and seeing how far away the rear seats are leaves no doubt. The wife could only come up with "minivan" to describe it.

The turbo six has plenty of power and had no trouble getting all that mass moving. The engine made some good noises when putting the whip to it, but were definitely muffled compared to our E90. In fact, the level of noise isolation was remarkable.

The ride is compliant but tuned a little soft. It never felt wallowy but there is no hint of anything I would call "sporty". Going over bumps was a breeze with no fear of spilling my can of soda. Speaking of which... Why can't BMW figure out cupholders? The ones in the GT are marginally better that the F10 but seriously, do they have to block the HVAC controls?

The dual trunk/hatch is kind of neat, but I kept asking myself what is the point? Is it really necessary to add that much cost/complication/weight for an arguably marginal benefit? I guess I don't think so. Secretly I am an Estate/Touring lover, so there you go.

Before we got to the dealer, I was pretty confident we would be ordering a GT. The sloped hatchback styling is really attractive, even if it makes the rear window into a narrow slit (remids me of my Z4M Coupe). I understand why it comes with parking sensors standard. But at the end of the day after sitting in a F10 for comparison (which is a big car now too), we just couldn't see ourselves driving around town and trying to parallel park this thing.

Please BMW, bring us the F11 TWO WHEEL DRIVE wagon!

Anyway, we're probably going to order a 535d F10 if it becomes available in time, which I have to believe will be by June (fingers crossed).
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
But at the end of the day after sitting in a F10 for comparison (which is a big car now too), we just couldn't see ourselves driving around town and trying to parallel park this thing.
With the top view/surround/rear view camera, it should make the job a bit easier.

Yes it is definitely a big car, which is a major plus for me. The leg room at the rear is so generous. It's like the long wheel base version of a 5.

Basically, the GT is a 7 series with a 5 series name and a 5 series price; that's why it is such a bargain. The chassis, steering, wheelbase, black panel dashboard.... etc are all 7 series'. If you are looking for the roomiest and the most cargo space for money can buy in this class, the GT is good value. But if you are looking for a smaller car, then it may not be for you.

BTW, the difference in length between GT and F11 touring is about 9 cm.

Last edited by nosnoop; 10-25-2010 at 08:23 PM.