Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 AM
---------

Mein Auto: E90
Question How to replace Xenon light bulb?

The right Xenon light bulb in my 2006 330i burned out (after fading to red). Dealership quoted me $400 to replace it (or $800 for replacing both to match the color). So, I have a few questions:

1. Do I need to remove the wheel to replace the bulb, or I can do it with the wheel on (through the flap inside the wheel well)?

2. What parts specifically do I need to remove to access the Xenon bulb?

3. What is the difference in longevity or quality between Xenon bulbs on eBay at $50 for a pair (made in Korea) and OEM bulbs?

Last edited by Greg220; 11-04-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328I
According to the Bentley manual the "trapdoor" only works for halogen headlight set up..for Xenon system you have to:
Remove headlight fuse...xenons have high voltage and are dangerous!
Remove wheel housing trim.
Unlock headlight bulb cover retaining clips, remove cover.
Hi beam halogen is just plug 'n play..grip socket and pull out...
Low beam Xenon:
Detach harness connector for xenon bulb ignition unit.
Unlock ignition unit retainer and fold down (wire clip)
remove ignition unit and xenon bulb together as a unit from headlight.
Install new bulb on ignition unit etc...

If you can find correct bulb from aftermarket supplier with decent QC..should be fine...look for EU based suppliers first...seem to have better specs and quality there than in China etc....but if you're risking $50 vs $100's for BMW parts...might be worth a gamble!...depending on how much trouble you think it is to remove wheel, well liner etc to get the job done?....

Last edited by spitpilot; 11-04-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
^^^ Pretty good instructions, so just let me reiterate the safety aspect - the part about removing all power to the Xenon ignition unit:

Quote:
Warning!
Version with xenon headlights: Danger to life due to high
voltage! Therefore, before removing, disconnect all
components from the power supply (lighting system and
ignition off).
Old 11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
---------

Thank you both, the instructions are really helpful! I decided to go with brand name bulbs to avoid hassle in the future.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
---------

I replaced the bulb and it's possible to do it without removing the wheel (as some online guides suggest). It takes some effort and patience doing it the first time (it took me nearly 3 hours). I got stuck trying to remove the back headlamp cover and again unlocking the wire clip from the bulb itself. This car is built like a tank

Last edited by Greg220; 11-12-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 3 Series E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitpilot View Post
According to the Bentley manual the "trapdoor" only works for halogen headlight set up..for Xenon system you have to:
Remove headlight fuse...xenons have high voltage and are dangerous!
Remove wheel housing trim.
Unlock headlight bulb cover retaining clips, remove cover.
Hi beam halogen is just plug 'n play..grip socket and pull out...
Low beam Xenon:
Detach harness connector for xenon bulb ignition unit.
Unlock ignition unit retainer and fold down (wire clip)
remove ignition unit and xenon bulb together as a unit from headlight.
Install new bulb on ignition unit etc...

If you can find correct bulb from aftermarket supplier with decent QC..should be fine...look for EU based suppliers first...seem to have better specs and quality there than in China etc....but if you're risking $50 vs $100's for BMW parts...might be worth a gamble!...depending on how much trouble you think it is to remove wheel, well liner etc to get the job done?....

My 2007 328xi just went "pink" and I am considering replacing the bulb myself. I know it has been awhile since this post and if someone can point me to a more recent set of instructions that would be great. So I have two questions:

1.) In the directions you say that the wheel housing trim needs to be removed because the drop down access door does't work for Xenon. By wheel housing trim do you mean that the inside wheel well housing needs to come out to create enough room to work?

2.) It seems that for about $110 you can get Philips D1S Xenon HID Headlight Bulb Pack of 2 000326 D1S 35W 9285 141 294 OEM Xenon HID from Amazon that appear to come with the ignitors. Other than cost (I would be doing both sides so light color matches) is there some reason not to replace the ignitors as well and avoid possibly having to go back in at a later date?

Thanks!

Last edited by bonnetj; 09-18-2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: misspelling