Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 2008
Exclamation Engine shake/power loss during acceleration

I recently purchased a 2008 bmw 535 with 110km.
This is my first car im 22, took me 2 years to save for this I spent 22k and really love this car!
I was driving yesterday and when I tried to accelerate quickly the car started to shake and lost power then followed with the engine light turning on. The engine light remains on and when I try to accelerate fast this keeps happening and I have to turn off the car to make it stop..... I need Help!!! to figure out what is wrong with this car and the best financial decision.. Should I get rid of it!?!?!? is this a part of safety because if you buy the car safety and certified wont the dealer cover it im not sure???

Last edited by 2008.535; 12-07-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
If the 'check engine' light is on, you will need to read the diagnostic codes to investigate what's causing the problem. If you don't have OBD-II code reader, auto parts stores usually read the codes for free. Take the car to your local auto parts store and have them read the codes and post those codes here.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530I, Sports Package
Hey PCY,

Hope all is well!

This is Daniel from 5series.net. The guy with the starter problem (initially, lol).

I like how you give sound advices without jumping into conclusions! Much appreciated!

The car is still running rough. The new injector and O-rings should arrive on Monday. I ordered the parts from www.getbmwparts.com and had to wait about six days because it saved me $110. If that will fix the problem, I think I will buy 5 more. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!!!

OP,

If I had to guess, I would think you might either have a faulty fuel injector(s), fuel pump, foul spark plugs or ignition coil(s). I agree with PCY recommendation! It can get costly if you make guesses and have to continue changing parts without resolution. Good luck!

Last edited by 06530IDAN; 12-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Okay ill try and get the codes, thanks @pcy
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06530IDAN View Post
This is Daniel from 5series.net. The guy with the starter problem (initially, lol)...
The car is still running rough. The new injector and O-rings should arrive on Monday. I ordered the parts from www.getbmwparts.com and had to wait about six days because it saved me $110. If that will fix the problem, I think I will buy 5 more. I'll keep you posted...

Hi Dan, careful with fuel line connection. After reconnecting everything, keep an eye on that fuel line connector, it may leak at that connector. Put that clip back on to make sure the connector doesn't undo itself.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 PM

diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
If the 'check engine' light is on, you will need to read the diagnostic codes to investigate what's causing the problem. If you don't have OBD-II code reader, auto parts stores usually read the codes for free. Take the car to your local auto parts store and have them read the codes and post those codes here.
I got it diagnosed here it is.
2DED Power Management, Current monitor - new battery maybe
2F9E Thermal oil level sensor - ?replace?
29D2 Combustion Misfire on cylinder 6 - not sure
Old 12-08-2013, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Were the plugs ever replaced? They should have been replaced at 72,000 km (45,000 miles) on the 535i. If they have, try swapping the #6 coil with another cylinder to see if the misfire follows it. If it does, you'll need to replace the faulty coil pack.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 12-08-2013, 04:26 PM

I took it in to the dealership, they said they would cover the cost to fixed it and booked an appointment with a certified bmw mechanic for tomorrow. Im going to take it there and ask for the battery and ignition coils to be replaced see and hopefully it works. Im unaware if anything was replaced.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
I have the same issue today... let's see what it is for me. I have an '08 535xi with 110k and have had it since new. This car must have the worst fuel delivery system ever manufactured. I've had to replace the HPFP and injectors under warranty, LPFP on my own dime. Mine feels like a fuel problem...
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
It was spark... #5 spark plug and ignition coil
Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Same problem

I just brought mine in this morning for the same issue. Vibrating especially bad at idle, 20 mph and then 40 mph. SA thought it could be ignition coil...waiting to hear.

2010 528i xDrive / Platinum Metallic Gray
Old 10-24-2014, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i XDrive
Misfire, Stutter, rough idle, loss of power, and almost stalling.

Searched through many threads with this same theme but this seems to be the most like my symptoms. Hopefully this will add to the possible solution for other members.

Just purchased 2009 535i xDrive automatic two weeks ago with 80K.

Driving home yesterday from work and felt a sharp stutter while pulling into traffic and could not accelerate. Was able to work it up to speed but was jerky and whole car was shuddering. Pulled off the road and the idle was extremely rough with the rpm's dropping like it was going to stall and check engine light was on so I shut off the engine. Called dealership (non BMW) I purchased from and they told me to bring it to them to them.

I started the car and it was running fine. I was milking the throttle to make sure it was going to make the 5 mile drive to the shop. Worried that I was going to get to the shop and they would not see the problem a tried accelerating and the same problem came back. I had to feather the gas to maintain 30 mph the last mile to the shop. I can't help but feel I should have pulled over and had it towed it was shuddering something awful.

Shut down when I got to the shop and they were able to get several misfire codes. They took it out and could not repeat the problem even under hard acceleration. They put me in a loaner and ordered some plugs and said they would check the coils.

Waiting to hear back now... Will provide update if I get away with just plugs or something more is at play.

Last edited by David Webb; 10-24-2014 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added mileage.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E90 & 07 E60
I have similar symptom that cause by bad ignition coil (confirmed with engine code show mis-fire). The ignition coil is easy to replace. Search youtube for instruction.

Good Luck.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:57 AM

Dealership swapped out the plugs and sent me on my way free of charge...
Pulling out of the parking lot same issue as soon as I gave it gas.

Pulled back in and left it...

Hopefully they are still going to eat the cost.

Is there a code that is specific to the coils versus the plugs?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 535xi
What they should have done is swap coils and see if the code follows the cylinder. I.e misfire on cylinder 1, swap 1 and 2, see if the code moves to cylinder 2. All they will be able read is a misfire.

I had this same problem last month with my 535. I have close to 100k miles on mine, so I did an entire ignition overhaul. I replaced all 6 plugs and all 6 coils. Ran me about $320 but it's an easy DIY if you have the tools.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto:
What could and plugs did you go with? Stock or performance? Did you swap out the wiring harness too?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 535xi
I ordered the Bosch Kit from ECS Tuning. Look them up - good folks. I didn't mess with the wiring harness - not even sure there is an easy upgrade for that.

I also got the 14mm Deep Well Spark Plug Socket from them, it's made by Schwaben - I think I spelled it right.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto:
Thx!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Get it Done

So the dealership was going to change out a coil as the sales department was eating the cost. Was concerned this was going to be an ongoing issue so I told them I would pay for all 6 coils if they would eat the labor.

Big Thanks AJ for the ECS tuning tip as they were going to buy the coils @ $90/ea... Asked them to go online and pay no more than $50.ea.

Just got a call and they are still having misfires in cylinder 5 and 6 with new coils and plugs?

They are bringing it to an Indie to get a better reading on the codes. I do not know what codes they are getting but will find out.

Anyone have any suggestions? Similar experience?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Webb View Post
So the dealership was going to change out a coil as the sales department was eating the cost. Was concerned this was going to be an ongoing issue so I told them I would pay for all 6 coils if they would eat the labor.

Big Thanks AJ for the ECS tuning tip as they were going to buy the coils @ $90/ea... Asked them to go online and pay no more than $50.ea.

Just got a call and they are still having misfires in cylinder 5 and 6 with new coils and plugs?

They are bringing it to an Indie to get a better reading on the codes. I do not know what codes they are getting but will find out.

Anyone have any suggestions? Similar experience?
Have them check for bad injectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calabrettachris View Post
What could and plugs did you go with? Stock or performance? Did you swap out the wiring harness too?
You only need to swap out the plugs and coils. Leave the harness alone. The oem coils are fine even when you are running 19 lbs of boost.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:42 PM

Not good... not good at all...

Dealership brought car to Indie after coils did not solve the problem. Indie is saying something "mechanically wrong with cylinders 4 and 5". The car is being sent to the nearest BMW dealership on a flatbed.

Not sure what they plan to do or who is paying for what... Bought the car as-is and I'm looking into lemon laws in my state... Think NH has nothing for used cars.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Webb View Post
Not good... not good at all...

Dealership brought car to Indie after coils did not solve the problem. Indie is saying something "mechanically wrong with cylinders 4 and 5". The car is being sent to the nearest BMW dealership on a flatbed.

Not sure what they plan to do or who is paying for what... Bought the car as-is and I'm looking into lemon laws in my state... Think NH has nothing for used cars.
They need to check the injectors next.

I doubt the cylinders ceased, unless the previous owner had a water-pump failure and kept on driving, cylinder 5 & 6 has the narrowest coolant channels on N54 engine, they got the hottest compare to the other 4 cylinders.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 AM

I asked them if they had checked the injectors and they say indie found no issues with them.

Waiting to hear what the BMW dealership has for a diagnosis. The fact they sent it there without asking makes me think they might be covering costs at this point. At least that's what I'm hoping.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Just got the following response from my dealer:

"It appears a dealer in Mass replaced an injector and stripped the hole down in the cylinder head, we are bringing it back home to see if we can figure a repair, their estimate was crazy for repair. "

Anyone have any suggestion on how to fix the stripped cylinder head?

I asked if they were taking it out to bore and install helicoil and they said they need to see how bad the damage is... Not sure how else to do it correctly? Tap and go up a size or some other method? Unless they are thinking replacement but I doubt it on their dime.

Last edited by David Webb; 11-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:30 PM

22 days later...

The good news: Got the car back and it's running great! No cost to me....

The bad news: The dealer ended up mounting a bracket to hold the injector in place. Not exactly sure how cobbed it is and am afraid how reliable this will be long term. I'll be looking to replace the upper head when I can find a decent used one.

Been looking through the forum for a blowup of the engine so I can find the right part number. Haven't found it yet..

Guessing it will be a few grand but if it goes again I'm just going to replace it or have someone else take a shot at dropping a helicoil in the old one.