Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cesmoot
Mein Auto: 325i
ICV (Idle Control Valve) 325i removal and cleaning video

Hey guys, I found a youtube video for removing and cleaning the ICV idle control valve.
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Yup, that's my video. I posted it once I uploaded it.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 PM

Wass up Jake??? Hey man, thanks for the video.... I may need to do this after I install my MAF and wait to see if it stalls on me again. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 PM
The one and only

Sup! You're welcome dude, I'm glad it helped or will help you out
Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328i
dude what did you use to clean it? thanks btw nice silver surfer
Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Kudos to Jake for his video posted to Youtube on removing and replacing the ICV (Idle Control Valve).

Mind you, like most of us here I am not a mechanic by any stretch, but Jake's video gave me the confidence to attempt a repair that the dealer wanted $756.00 to do.

With the assistance of my wife (she has small hands for tight spaces and held flashlights and tools for me) I started at 11:30 and ended at 4:30 PM. Everything went pretty much according to the video except the following:

1) The 2 hose clamps on the lower intake boot (the upper small accordion hose clamp and lower boot clamp) were on the reverse side of the boot, hose, etc. I just could not get to them; no space to maneuver. They must have been installed at the factory while car was raised in the air. After 3 trips to the auto parts store and buying numerous tools over 3 hours, I actually found a carburetor tool (a long flexible spring with a screw driver handle and socket on the end that worked perfectly on all my hoses and clamps) that saved the day. If not for this problem I would have finished the job in 1/2 the time.

2) The idle control valve did not come out as I expected. The 2 t-40 bolts and 1 10mm nut removed I felt as though I might break something...but frustrated I sent Jake an email asking for help. He called me within 2 minutes and gave me the confidence to just keep wiggling and pulling and out she came.

The amazing thing is that the reassembly after cleaning the ICV only took about 1/2 hour. I drove the car to the auto parts store and returned over 50.00 worth of tools I did not need.

Thanks Jake for a solid video and the telephone support you gave me on this one.

If anyone is wondering if you can do this....just take a break every once in a while, stay hydrated, and don't be impatient with hoses clamps, etc. Now I will drive the car this week and see if it stalls again or if any trouble lights come on.

By the way, last week I replaced the MAF and air filter without a hitch.

Last edited by cesmoot; 11-14-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
cesmoot, thanks for bringing this video back from the dead

I will most definitely be doing this when I pull my car next spring... noooo winters coming

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 11-13-2010, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323i 5-Spd
I'm thinking about doing this maybe tomorrow. I was also going to do the oil filter housing gasket. Is this in the same general area? Might as well do both since im going to be working on the ICV? And what tools would be recommended for both jobs? I kno the T40, 10mm socket, and flathead are the main ones for the ICV job. What about the gasket?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 AM
The one and only

Thanks for the kind words and it was good to help out another member. Glad that you were able to do this job because like I said, most of the jobs require those parts to be taken out.

By the way, I take credit, debit, paypal and cold hard cash I kid I kid.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
I know I will never be able to DIY but I have to say that I'm really impress!

Any other "movie" or video by you I didn't know about? wink wink .. LOL

Thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 AM
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaGiaJa View Post
I know I will never be able to DIY but I have to say that I'm really impress!

Any other "movie" or video by you I didn't know about? wink wink .. LOL

Thumbs up

Plenty of them
Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Plenty of them

Do share.. Don't hold back!
Waiting... :P

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 540i6
Hey everyone, I have been out there for almost an hour pulling on the ICV and it just wont come out. Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks
Old 04-24-2011, 10:33 AM

By now you probably have it out....listen.... you have to keep pulling on it...up and down...side to side....it will come out...you will not hurt it by pulling hard and rocking side to side...I have done it twice and it will come out...keep pulling and wiggling while you pull....let us know when you get it...
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe
I know this is old, but my car has had the rough idle at start up throwing the Lean Codes with Fuel Cutoff. I turn the car off and start back up and everything is smooth. Lately however, it has gotten worse. The last 2 days at cold startup, the car would idle even rougher and die. Still throwing the same codes. I have just figured that it is time to change the coils, but the codes usually say different cylinders misfiring each time. Sooooo, could my ICV be causing this??? I smell fuel when this happens....the last 2 days anyway when it has been really bad. Could the ICV just be dirty and taking longer to loosen up on cold start?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburns View Post
I know this is old, but my car has had the rough idle at start up throwing the Lean Codes with Fuel Cutoff. I turn the car off and start back up and everything is smooth. Lately however, it has gotten worse. The last 2 days at cold startup, the car would idle even rougher and die. Still throwing the same codes. I have just figured that it is time to change the coils, but the codes usually say different cylinders misfiring each time. Sooooo, could my ICV be causing this??? I smell fuel when this happens....the last 2 days anyway when it has been really bad. Could the ICV just be dirty and taking longer to loosen up on cold start?
You smell fuel because of the misfires. The car is loading up with fuel because it isn't being ignited. That is why you have misfire with fuel cut off codes.

Typically a bad ICV will cause poor idle but not misfires since it only controls air flow at low RPM and is bypassed at higher RPM. I would tend to lean towards coils too. My brother in law just had this issue. Had misfire codes jumping all cylinders but we replaced 1, 3 and 5 (most common ones going bad) and all is well. I can get you used coils for $20 each. I think I have one good one you can have.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Changed my plugs last night before I went to bed and got up this morning and cleaned the ICV and DISA real good. I had to come back in for a second and look at Jake's video again to make sure I knew which nuts/bolts to remove for the ICV. Got it all taken apart, cleaned, and put back together in about 3 hours. Replaced the air filter as well. Such a big difference! ....all but the new car smell!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 MWN 325i
I hope that you can help...

I followed the instructions and everything worked out just fine. Like user cesmoot, I had a problem with clamps being upside down, but I got over that challenge eventually. I finished it all, reassembled, and turned on the car, and great it worked! No more stalling, shaking...

But, after a couple of seconds an icon came on next to the P sign, an toothed circle with an exclamation sign in it. I looked it up, and it stated that the system found malfunction in transmission. I never had a problem with transmission.

I drove the car to the BMW shop, but it was close. Car shifts, but it jerks and does not behave well at all. I checked all the connections, all seemed fine.

Any suggestions to what might have happened?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eomerdic View Post
I followed the instructions and everything worked out just fine. Like user cesmoot, I had a problem with clamps being upside down, but I got over that challenge eventually. I finished it all, reassembled, and turned on the car, and great it worked! No more stalling, shaking...

But, after a couple of seconds an icon came on next to the P sign, an toothed circle with an exclamation sign in it. I looked it up, and it stated that the system found malfunction in transmission. I never had a problem with transmission.

I drove the car to the BMW shop, but it was close. Car shifts, but it jerks and does not behave well at all. I checked all the connections, all seemed fine.

Any suggestions to what might have happened?
Double check the connection to the MAF. If it is loose it will cause a trans fault.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Thanks, smolck! I will do that in the morning. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks, smolck! It was MAF sensor and I had to replace it. I must have damaged it in the process. Also, this is a very expensive part, $550 at BMW shop and $300 at Autozone. I got mine on Ebay, but the point is: be nice to your car parts

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I have a 2006 325i, and it shakes/vibrates when i come to a stop. My dad thinks i have to clean out the idle control valve, so i called around the some mechanic's and one of them said my car doesnt have an idle intake valve. Is that true?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
ICV or idle control valve is there on all e46's
The person you spoke with is not a mechanic.

I'd tell you more, except you're not going to do the work are you?

Plenty of info by searching, and youtube it.

Last edited by GoForthFast; 08-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
2006 is not an E46 unless a coupe, but I assume it still has an ICV?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 328IS Convertable Alpine
This Video

This video provided me with a huge sigh of relief. I bought my BMW 2 weeks ago, everything was fine and then on cold mronings it started to idle rough, and then it started at stop lights and some times would cut off at a light. I had to keep a foot on the brake and gas. I saw the video and checked for that hose he said was off. Mine was connected it but I heard this loud whistle noise so i new air was escaping somewhere. I started to feel aroudn the hose an low and behold there was dry rot at the connection point. As soon as I put pressure on the hose and pushed it up some the car's idle balnced out and the whistle was gone. So now I am tasked with replacing the hose. I do have one question. Could this bad hose be what set off a bad catalytic code?