Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: Faulty X5 M !!
X5 M Engine Fault Reduced Power at 800 miles

Hey folks,

After 800 careful running in miles in my new X5 M at 2 weeks old, I got an engine fault/reduced power warning and it went into limp home. It cleared on a restart, I took it straight to the dealer who read out the codes, ran some engine diagnostics (which all showed fine) and they sent me on my way. 2 hours later the same warning appeared.

The car then went in for 3 days (I had the pleasure of 1 series to drive instead of my 80,000 car!). The error showed a vanos cam timing error, the gurus at BMW decided that the vanos system needed bleeding although they had ordered in 3 parts to change but were told not to.

Car was handed back to me as fully working and road tested, I drove it 200 yards from the dealer and the warning was back, I took it straight back and they said it would have to go back in, being late Friday they said bring it back Monday. I had to make a couple of short journeys over the weekend and got numerous engine fault reduced power warnings.

The X5 M went back in on the Monday for a new vanos valve, vanos sensor and cam sensor. 2.5 days later I was told the car had passed all tests, road tests were fine. 2 hours after collecting the car I had the same warning appear

On the drive back to the dealer the warning would no longer clear and the engine light remained on all the time, it was in permanent limp mode now.

The dealer read out the exact same fault codes as previously.

The gurus at BMW have now decided the vanos is not moving the inlet camshaft on the nearside bank quick enough.

The car has been in the dealer for almost the same amount of time as I have had it to drive, I have had to cancel a holiday and it is still in the dealer. They have now lent me an oil burning X6 3.0D which I can't even get my kids bikes in and is nothing like the spec of my car!

Although they *think* the vanos is not moving quickly enough, they have no idea why, they don't know what they are going to change and there is no way they can say how long this will take.

So what do you think of the chances of this being repaired satisfactorily in a short time, I have already had enough and think they have had more than a reasonable amount of time to rectify this already
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
I think they need to get a NEW X5M, totally unacceptable for a 95K car!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger74 View Post
I think they need to get a NEW X5M, totally unacceptable for a 95K car!!!!
That's how I feel, they've *played* with it for 2 weeks of the 4 weeks I've had it and here in the UK this car cost me $25k dollars more than you mentioned, at todays rate it cost USD $119k
Old 11-06-2010, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
Don't know how the laws work there in the UK, but here in Boston if they can't fix it after three tries they have to buy it back - it's called a lemon law. Sounds like you're worse off than I am. Good luck
Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettdeb View Post
Don't know how the laws work there in the UK, but here in Boston if they can't fix it after three tries they have to buy it back - it's called a lemon law. Sounds like you're worse off than I am. Good luck
Here we have the Sale of Goods Act which states any purchase must be "of satisfactory quality", which this clearly isn't.

The Act states that either a lasting repair must be made within a reasonable timescale and without inconvenience to the consumer or the item must be replaced. Having already taken legal advice the advice was that 14 days is a sufficiently reasonable time to effect a lasting repair, this has not happened.

They have already given the car back to me 3 times with the same fault and I have been very inconvenienced. I had to cancel a holiday as they could only loan me a 1 series which was too small to fit in our luggage and dog/cage etc

Now I have an X6 3.0D which I cannot get the kids bikes in so they have missed their cycle club today.

When paying this sort of premium for a car I really expect better than this.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
Have all your repair history docs ready and make demands to BMW of UK for either compensation or a new car. 2 out of 4 wks in the shop for any new car is incredulous.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5m
2011 x5 m

Just picked up the m. It was the fuel tank leakage diagnostic module DMTL evap system occasional failure thats what the repair order states thnx BMW this car is a blast ;-)) THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO MINE AT 6500 MILES ....NOW IT RUNS PERFECT......GOOD LUCK BROTHER...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 AM

Glad yours is fixed, mines in the dealer still with the engine fault, 4 week old car, 2 weeks in the dealer, been returned 3 times with *fault fixed* only to have it re-appear within an hour or so, I have now asked for a replacement car, waiting for a response.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:05 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
The sales of goods act does not apply to cars in the UK I'm afraid.
You stand absolutely no chance of getting a replacement car (buy back) as the Lemon law does not exist in England. (although I think you should)

Unfortunately, (and I think that you should get it,) They should totally replace your Engine as BMW MPOWER need your bag of crap back to do evauluations on, so their "Engine Gurus" can work out a fix for that issue.

clearly, you will not be the only Victim. I bet you wished you had bought a plain old 50i, and saved all that extra cash.

Unfortunately , BMW customer service is not what it used to be, even on "M" products.

I'm sure that BMW UK have another X5M lying around, they just don't want to tie it up for months loaning it to you.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbro View Post
The sales of goods act does not apply to cars in the UK I'm afraid.
You stand absolutely no chance of getting a replacement car (buy back) as the Lemon law does not exist in England. (although I think you should).
The sale of goods act applies to any sale, cars are not exempt in any way, I have already taken legal advice on the matter, the act clearly states that a repair or replacement must be made within a reasonable time and without inconvenience. I have also been advised that a reasonable time for repair would be 14 days, which has passed already. It may not be as good as the US Lemon Law but the act is quite good for consumer protection on any purchase.

Quote:
Unfortunately, (and I think that you should get it,) They should totally replace your Engine as BMW MPOWER need your bag of crap back to do evauluations on, so their "Engine Gurus" can work out a fix for that issue.

clearly, you will not be the only Victim. I bet you wished you had bought a plain old 50i, and saved all that extra cash.
AFAIK the S63 X5 M engine is a variant of the N63 50i engine anyway, they bolt on twin scroll turbos and make varius tweaks but I bet the overall design is similar, I would therefore not want a 50i either.

Quote:
Unfortunately , BMW customer service is not what it used to be, even on "M" products.
Well I have an open verdict on this at the moment, although time is ticking away and no one seems to be talking to me, so you could well be right.

Quote:
I'm sure that BMW UK have another X5M lying around, they just don't want to tie it up for months loaning it to you.
I am sure they do, its all down to whether they want to keep their customers happy or just p**s them off, when they are selling the car they can't talk to me too often, when there's a problem it all goes quiet
Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: RS6
Woodpecker,
I hope all turns out well with your M.

I do have a questions for you as a current X5 M driver.

Can you add a trailer hitch or would that be a suspension no-no????

Thanks for the input.

Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Woodpecker,
I hope all turns out well with your M.

I do have a questions for you as a current X5 M driver.

Can you add a trailer hitch or would that be a suspension no-no????

Thanks for the input.

Mike
I don't know about the hitch, I think there is an option for one, I hardly feel like an X5 M driver since it is in the shop and there is no sign of it coming back any time soon
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Woody it sounds like you are being played here. You need a new "M" even if they have to run one over just for you and take the defective one back to the factory for evaluation. This is really UnSat for that expensive a car. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Woody it sounds like you are being played here. You need a new "M" even if they have to run one over just for you and take the defective one back to the factory for evaluation. This is really UnSat for that expensive a car. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
I think so too, todays update just gets worse, ring dealer for update on fix, they now cannot continue the investigation into the fault until they can get new gaskets and seals, I understand the reasoning behind this but its a 5-7 day lead time on them

Then they need some special tool for the engine, they don't know if its even available though

So I ring BMW UK Customer Services because I cannot raise the guy who I normally speak to there, to be told everyone is on a course, EVERYONE, YES EVERYONE, WTF!!!

Its clearly not the course on how to p**s on your customers, as they are all trained very well on that

Today marks the point at which the car has had the fault for longer than it hasn't, from brand new it lasted 2 weeks 2 days without fault and now it has the fault and been pretty much unusable for a further 2 weeks and 2 days, it looks like no further investigation will continue for at least a week let alone get it fixed, if they ever can

Letters of rejection have been issued.

Last edited by woodpecker; 11-08-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
You are not alone

Check out these posts . . .

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...r-warning.html

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ine-sound.html

I am still going through with getting mine, but I am very nervous about it now and if this happens to mine, I am for sure going back to a range rover, so if it breaks down I can blame it on being a range rover. I guess the X5 may soon have the same status, which, of course, sucks.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 AM

I had a 4.8i M Sport previous to the M and had quite a lot of issues with that, although minor it was in the garage for parking sensors almost continually, they just seemed to sequentially fail due to corrosion lifting the paint.

It had a steering squeak/graunch which it went in 3 times for and was only finally cured after one the whole rack was changed, car had only done 15k miles ffs!

Then there was the rear quarter stone chipping (which the M suffers from the same), it had to have pretty much the whole rear quarter painted and then covered with a protective film.

I must be mad to have bought another X5, should have bought a 5.0 RR Sport!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
to try and give you a rope to cling to.....

Back in 89 -90 I bought a used 325 in Holland with a three month bumper to bumper warranty.
2 weeks before the warranty ended one saturday the head blew, giving steam out of the exhaust. I took it in immeadiately.

Long story short, they had the car 12 weeks replaced the entire engine, and loned me several different cars during that time, including the brand new 5 series of that time.

Now that was a used car, On your M it should be, that you are driving a replacement X5M, they surely have one, the entire engine should get replaced.

You would then at least say, "well the after sales service is there" but this all sucks.
Maybe your Lawyers letter, telling them under this & that law, they are getting the car back,
might just jult them into what should have been their immeadiate responce.

I hop ethat you leased it, or bought it with BMW finance, coz then you can at least stop paying for it. !!!

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 11-09-2010, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: GX470
Lemon law

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecker View Post
Hey folks,

After 800 careful running in miles in my new X5 M at 2 weeks old, I got an engine fault/reduced power warning and it went into limp home. It cleared on a restart, I took it straight to the dealer who read out the codes, ran some engine diagnostics (which all showed fine) and they sent me on my way. 2 hours later the same warning appeared.

The car then went in for 3 days (I had the pleasure of 1 series to drive instead of my 80,000 car!). The error showed a vanos cam timing error, the gurus at BMW decided that the vanos system needed bleeding although they had ordered in 3 parts to change but were told not to.

Car was handed back to me as fully working and road tested, I drove it 200 yards from the dealer and the warning was back, I took it straight back and they said it would have to go back in, being late Friday they said bring it back Monday. I had to make a couple of short journeys over the weekend and got numerous engine fault reduced power warnings.

The X5 M went back in on the Monday for a new vanos valve, vanos sensor and cam sensor. 2.5 days later I was told the car had passed all tests, road tests were fine. 2 hours after collecting the car I had the same warning appear

On the drive back to the dealer the warning would no longer clear and the engine light remained on all the time, it was in permanent limp mode now.

The dealer read out the exact same fault codes as previously.

The gurus at BMW have now decided the vanos is not moving the inlet camshaft on the nearside bank quick enough.

The car has been in the dealer for almost the same amount of time as I have had it to drive, I have had to cancel a holiday and it is still in the dealer. They have now lent me an oil burning X6 3.0D which I can't even get my kids bikes in and is nothing like the spec of my car!

Although they *think* the vanos is not moving quickly enough, they have no idea why, they don't know what they are going to change and there is no way they can say how long this will take.

So what do you think of the chances of this being repaired satisfactorily in a short time, I have already had enough and think they have had more than a reasonable amount of time to rectify this already
Yes, I agree you should get a new X5 M. If the the same problem keep on happening and the dealer can't fix the problem. I think after 3X if the dealership can't fix the same problem on the car, your car is a LEMON. You deserve a new car.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
to try and give you a rope to cling to.....

Back in 89 -90 I bought a used 325 in Holland with a three month bumper to bumper warranty.
2 weeks before the warranty ended one saturday the head blew, giving steam out of the exhaust. I took it in immeadiately.

Long story short, they had the car 12 weeks replaced the entire engine, and loned me several different cars during that time, including the brand new 5 series of that time.

Now that was a used car, On your M it should be, that you are driving a replacement X5M, they surely have one, the entire engine should get replaced.

You would then at least say, "well the after sales service is there" but this all sucks.
Maybe your Lawyers letter, telling them under this & that law, they are getting the car back,
might just jult them into what should have been their immeadiate responce.

I hop ethat you leased it, or bought it with BMW finance, coz then you can at least stop paying for it. !!!
The dealer called today but its going to be another couple of days before I get a decision as to whether it will be replaced, at the moment they can't even get the tools to start on the engine to continue diagnosis.

My solicitor has advised to push for only a replacement car and nothing else, however they did say that if I did decide to take back the repaired car then I can still reserve the right to reject it should the fault re-occur.

It's a sad state of affairs, I just hope BMW and the dealer to the right thing and replace it.

The car has no finance, they have MY money and the car
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
They should buy the car back
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM

"they have my money and the car" which of course removes much of any incentive for BMW to do something about your problem! I pay cash for cars too, and your problem has caused me to rethink that! If they do give you your money back (fat chance!) then you might want to investigate the Cayenne Super Turbo or the ML63 AMG both are similar in performance to the "M" and I suspect (Porsche at least) have a better customer service attitude.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-09-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
"they have my money and the car" which of course removes much of any incentive for BMW to do something about your problem! I pay cash for cars too, and your problem has caused me to rethink that! If they do give you your money back (fat chance!) then you might want to investigate the Cayenne Super Turbo or the ML63 AMG both are similar in performance to the "M" and I suspect (Porsche at least) have a better customer service attitude.
I nearly went for the Posrche but had always wanted an M car, what a mistake that was, now 1 week since dropped off at the dealer, zero progress, car just parked up waiting for tools and parts so they start diagnosis.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Sounds to me that this is God's way of telling you that applying an M badge to an SAV is sacrilege. (It is a Yank tank, after all).

(Donning flame suit as I await the angry replies.........)

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Woody, hang in there and let us know how this plays out.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 AM

Car has now been PARKED at dealer 10 days, no progress at all, no diagnosis as still waiting for parts, although they should have all arrived yesterday.

Have re-iterated my disappointment at no response to vehicle rejection, no reply from dealer, reply from BMW UK - will offer a fitting gesture when vehicle fixed, which should be early next week, yeah right!

BMW UK have totally ignored my rejection and are just assuming I will roll over and take back the *fixed* car with a bung, what arrogance

When work does start on the car they have decided to go with the usual methodology of changing the parts which are most likely to have failed by "best assumption", aka lets have a guess. As this methodology on this vehicle has failed already it stands a slim chance of effecting a fix, especially for such an intermittent fault.