Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I assume you're doing all the 'offers' and 'rejections' and 'communications' in WRITING. Lettter to dealer and BMWUK as applicable, copies to the other AND your solicitor...

If it is all on the phone, or verbally, they tend to just ignore it- once in writing it become un-avoidable. They may still say "no", but you begin a documentary trail and it causes them to pay attention.

GL

A
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: Faulty X5 M !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I assume you're doing all the 'offers' and 'rejections' and 'communications' in WRITING. Lettter to dealer and BMWUK as applicable, copies to the other AND your solicitor...

If it is all on the phone, or verbally, they tend to just ignore it- once in writing it become un-avoidable. They may still say "no", but you begin a documentary trail and it causes them to pay attention.

GL

A
Yeah it went by email and signed for snail mail to the dealer, email to BMW UK. As the contract of sale is with the dealer any replacement has to come from them and it is up to them to sort it out with BMW UK.

Once the letter was issued there suddenly seemed more of a panic to try and fix it but really its too late, I told them I wanted a replacement, my solicitors advice is to accept nothing except replacement, although they have advised that should I wish to take it back I can reserve my position of rejection by stating in writing that should the fault re occur then the vehicle will be rejected.

Whilst the dealer claims to be on my side it feels more like both the dealer and BMW are colluding against me in regards to replacement.

I just think it is shameful that a company that tries to make out it is a premium brand treats its customers like this, especially bearing in mind the cost of this car.

We just cannot believe what a nightmare experience it has been buying a brand new BMW
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Finally some positive response from BMW, I have been given two options:-

1. Take mine back repaired (who knows when though) with 5 year service plus as a gesture. I normally sell the cars before 3 years and about 25k miles so although it looks nice on paper its worth about 1 450 service to me.

2. Have a new replacement car but it must be an in stock car, this leaves me only the choice of white or black (mine is monte carlo blue) and both cars have extra options so they want me to cough up more for the extra options (that I don't want).

I asked if I could have a new car built to the same spec and was told no due to the 2.5% UK VAT change and 4 month build time.

At least I have options, so give me some opinions, what would you do, would you go for a different colour??
Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
Any ETA at all on the forthcoming repairs? Was full engine replacement ever in discussion?

Given your tough choices, I would choose a new car, in order to avoid any further downtime, as well as risks of more recurring problems down the road. In addition, I would ask for the same 5-Yr Warranty on the new car, rationale being you've had such a bad experience w/current one that you won't feel comfortable w/o it. The extended warranty gives you addt'l peace of mind, and a higher resale value when you get rid of it in 3 yrs.

I would only consider taking back the repaired car if sufficient monetary compensation was provided for your time/frustration/diminished vehicle value, as I forsee you having a more difficult time selling it down the road with the tattered service history.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Did they commit to a replacement car in writing?

At least here in the US, the offer to replace the car could not be limited to "only in stock vehicles"...my first choice would be the car of my oriignal specs, with a loaner X5 for the 4 months.

If you don't want to wait, I'd tell them "white is fine, I am not paying a dime for options that were not on the car I owned"

Finally, if you take the repaired car back, and it has issues, have them pre-commit to an expedited replacement order in your choice of specs (and the loaner). If BMW really wants, they can start a car any given Monday, painted by Thursday, and have it on the next boat over in very short order. It would take sr. management to step in an juggle the priorities. The dealer is surely telling you tales to force you to take one they want.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:15 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Is the 5 year service plan transferrable to the next owner? If so, it will have monetary value to you when you replace the car.

Black and white X5's are a dime a dozen over here. I bet the Monte Carlo Blue is stunning, and you would regret driving a black or white one (unless the black they are offering you is Carbon Black or Ruby Black).

EDIT I forgot you have an X5M, so it probably is Carbon Black they are offering you, in which case I would be tempted......

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

Last edited by quackbury; 11-18-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Woody the good news is you finally have some action! Taking the old car back after repair is going to be (as others have stated) a loss down the road. Assuming nothing else goes wrong, you still have a (new) car that has undergone major repairs. If they do not have another "M" in all of the UK then perhaps the black one would be a good choice but only if they agree to a straight across trade with BMW eating any extra option cost as a gesture of goodwill for your "pain and suffering" throughout this ordeal. I mention black only because it just seems like the right color for an "M" to me. Good luck and check back and let us know how things turned out.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Woody the good news is you finally have some action! Taking the old car back after repair is going to be (as others have stated) a loss down the road. Assuming nothing else goes wrong, you still have a (new) car that has undergone major repairs. If they do not have another "M" in all of the UK then perhaps the black one would be a good choice but only if they agree to a straight across trade with BMW eating any extra option cost as a gesture of goodwill for your "pain and suffering" throughout this ordeal. I mention black only because it just seems like the right color for an "M" to me. Good luck and check back and let us know how things turned out.
Had a meeting this morning at the dealer and BMW had already decided to offer me a new build option as well so we are over the moon, I went prepared to accept the white car (just not keen on black) but can now have a new factory build and can adjust the options as well.

Build time is going to be circa 14 weeks so they are giving me an X5 loaner for the duration, I can honestly say my faith has now been restored, hopefully we can now put this one behind us and start over again.

Thanks BMW
Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
woody woodpecker, good to hear you got that taken care of.............
Lets wait a couple of weeks for the person who buys woody woodpecker's old ride to start complaining here. You certainly didn't think BMW would trash the car, now did you? Let the (re)cycle begin!

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /

Last edited by 0428; 11-19-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Good news! Glad that got settled to your satisfaction. I wonder who will get your (finally) repaired old ride? Probably not a 'fester who reads these boards I suspect!!! Well done, and enjoy the ride.