Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Which Cabin Air Filter?

I'm feeling pretty "froggy" and have decided to go all out and change my engine air filter AND the cabin air filter...possibly a day or 2s work for someone of my age and mechanical prowess .

Any way, I've found an online source for both filters; the OEM engine air filter (Mann) seems fine with me...I have a choice of 3 cabin air filters, all carry the same BMW part # but are manufactured by Airmatic, Corteco-Micronair and Helsa/Rein Automotive respectively. They are all priced the same and are all carbon filters.

My question is, are there/is there any real differences between the 3 and/or does any one have a preference for a certain filter?
Thanks!!

Make a fast friend, adopt a retired Greyhound
BMWCCA Member!
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I suspect they are pretty much all the same. Can you share your online source and price?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I'm going to use EAC Tuning..I haven't heard too much about them, but the prices don't seem to bad although shipping is extra..

The OEM Mahle-Knecht air filter lists @ $33.56 and they sell it for $19.19 + shipping; in my case shipping would run another $9.95...I factored in my cabin air filter also.

Maybe not the least expensive, but when I add OH sales tax + my fuel costs and toss in a buck or 2 for my time to make the trip to and from the dealer...I end up saving a pretty good amount of cash..

http://eactuning.com/parts/parts_search_page/

Make a fast friend, adopt a retired Greyhound
BMWCCA Member!

Last edited by Needle Nose; 11-06-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
http://www.******************.com/

i've used this supplier with excellent results.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
^^ i guess the forum admin doesn't think so highly of the above supplier! oh well.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
^^ i guess the forum admin doesn't think so highly of the above supplier! oh well.
Not a sponsor, I assume?

Can you PM me with the link?

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I stick with the Mann filters on my X3 ... charcoal filtered and reasonably priced. Here is a write up I did on how to replace it with some links to Amazon where i get mine:

BMW X3 Cabin Air Filter Replacement Photos and Procedure

Very overkill for what the task is, just wanted to document it for anyone who might want to do it ... you can see how easy it is and save yourself the money and change it yourself.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Great DIY write up -- thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvest2000 View Post
I stick with the Mann filters on my X3 ... charcoal filtered and reasonably priced. Here is a write up I did on how to replace it with some links to Amazon where i get mine:

Very overkill for what the task is, just wanted to document it for anyone who might want to do it ... you can see how easy it is and save yourself the money and change it yourself.
Great write up going to order 1 to night as you can see I also have a 2006. Any information on the engine air cleaner filter? Thanks
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Great write up going to order 1 to night as you can see I also have a 2006. Any information on the engine air cleaner filter? Thanks
cheers
vern
Vern -- I would stick with either Mann or oem air filter. There have been reports of CEL with other air filter elements (ie fram, napa, etc) or clogged MAF with oil gauzed filter (ie k&n).

It is really easy to change as it is on the front right hand side. There are four clips that have to be popped off the only trick is one of them is reverse the other 3 (if my memory is right). Once you have it off, pull filter out and have a shop vac ready to clean out leaves and debris from inside the cleaner box.

All in all about a 5 min job...10 if your kids help .
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Vern -- I would stick with either Mann or oem air filter. There have been reports of CEL with other air filter elements (ie fram, napa, etc) or clogged MAF with oil gauzed filter (ie k&n).

It is really easy to change as it is on the front right hand side. There are four clips that have to be popped off the only trick is one of them is reverse the other 3 (if my memory is right). Once you have it off, pull filter out and have a shop vac ready to clean out leaves and debris from inside the cleaner box.

All in all about a 5 min job...10 if your kids help .
Thanks,I was looking for a part #. Thanks again.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Thanks,I was looking for a part #. Thanks again.
cheers
vern
I'll just send you a link. For some reason all 3 parts at ecs are the same p/n

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-...enance/Engine/
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Vern has an '06 model so needs part no.: 13 72 1 744 869

The earlier models used a rectangular shape filter, not a 5-sided one as in the '07-on models.

Means it's a bit less expensive too.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Vern has an '06 model so needs part no.: 13 72 1 744 869

The earlier models used a rectangular shape filter, not a 5-sided one as in the '07-on models.

Means it's a bit less expensive too.
Now I'm totally confused. 2 different part #'s for the air filter.
cheers
vern
Old 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Now I'm totally confused. 2 different part #'s for the air filter.
For your 2006, this is the right air filter:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...tml?3593=64877

There is also one without the foam top that BMW gives a different part no. to (in the last 5 or 6 digits I think).

The same might apply to the air filter for 2007+ models, different part nos. for variations on a theme.

Not sure what difference a foam top makes (muffle intake roar?, better filtration?, better airflow?, hedging bets?) but as long as it's a Mann or a Mahle I think you are good.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
For your 2006, this is the right air filter:

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...tml?3593=64877

There is also one without the foam top that BMW gives a different part no. to (in the last 5 or 6 digits I think).

The same might apply to the air filter for 2007+ models, different part nos. for variations on a theme.

Not sure what difference a foam top makes (muffle intake roar?, better filtration?, better airflow?, hedging bets?) but as long as it's a Mann or a Mahle I think you are good.
I received the both Mann filters yesterday. I'll be putting them in over the weekend. Thanks for the information.
cheers
vern
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up

Replaced the cabin and air filter. 15 minute job. Where the cabin filter goes there were a few leaves but the air filter compartment was as clean as when it was new.
cheers
vern
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Thanks for your DIY guide on replacing cabin air filter, I will utilize it. It is well written. Seems pretty straightforward job, will see how it goes!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Just an add on here -- the cabin air filter box seems to "attract" leaves and pine needles (or at least mine does) so I use a shop vac to clean that out every month or so. Amazing how many pine needles find their way in there. Very easy to do this too.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvest2000 View Post

Great info, jvest2000. Thank you for your effort in doing the work and showing us how to do this cabin filter. I just went out to look at my cabin filter and like you said it was easy (as piece of cake). Three pins, holding the cover, lift it up and voila, there sits the filter. I found two of my pins are already unscrewed so I took out the third one. Man, what a mess I discovered there as I took the filter out. Filter itself was very dirty (no wonder smelly start up at the beginning when I turned the fan/ac/defroster on). And then there is a whole lot of dust and debris found its way into the compartment, including a huge leaf that was blocking one of the passages. I cleaned up everything and placed the filter back in its place and then put back the screws. That is it. In about 10 minutes I was able to tackle this messy job. Prepare to get dirty hands and if you have dust allergy, sneeze. Thanks again jvest2000. You are awesome. Now I need to buy a new filter. Seen them on Amazon.com cost less than 40 bucks.