BMW mobile diagnostic set-up? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: F01 - 750d x-Drive (2014)
BMW mobile diagnostic set-up?

Hi All
A couple of weeks back I received my 2014 F01 750d. On the way back home from the dealer I got an error message which I checked out with ISTA-D after my arrival and identified as "Ladedruckregelung (Boost pressure control?)" and "Ladedruckregelung: Niederdruckstufe (Boost pressure control: Low pressure stage?)".
As this results in the dpf denying to regenerate I decided to park it at a BMW workshop nearby (the dealer where I bought the car from is ~300km away. Didn't want to risk that with a non-regenerating dpf) and let them have a look. As I received an official BMW warranty with the purchase I didn't really care about what has to be done anyway plus the dealer I bought the car from instantly agreed to cover any costs involved, as this has been missed during their inspection.
Later that day I received a call from the workshop regarding the problem. They told me that someone from BMW was at their workshop that day and they decided to have a test drive together to see what the problem might be.
After their test drive they were pretty sure (very scientific isn't it? ) that the big turbo is the problem and would have to be replaced. Would take them around 1,5-2 weeks to get this done and would cost ~6k Euro (I'm in Germany).

The actual question I have after this long story: ISTA-D isn't that specific to decide that the turbo has to be replaced. At least based on the error-codes. I'm wondering what BMW officials would use additionally during a test drive to identify that it's most likely one of the three turbos. My initial assumption was that they would use ICOM + ISTA-D but maybe you know more about the full mobile setup of a BMW technician? If my assumption is right, my second theory is that the workshop goes for the part where they earn the most as another dealer is paying for it anyway.

Reason why I'm interested in this is: As soon as my car returns I'd love to connect my laptop to the car, have a test-drive and have the same view as the BMW technician had back then.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
If I recall correctly, doesn't ISTAD (which I have installed and used) have a "test plan" you can follow based on each error code? Perhaps based on that test plan, that's how they determined the turbo failure. Also, I doubt they were going for the most "expensive" possibility because if they were to replaced the turbo and that didn't solve the problem, they'd be back to square one.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic M-Sport Packages: Driver Assistance | ARS | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
BMS Stage 1 Tune | Pedal Box | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Mtec Angel Eyes LED | Rear Tinted Taillights | Coded

E38 740i Black Sport Packages: PDC | Convenience | Sunshade
Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Ring | Modified M-Sport Steering Wheel | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Refinished M-Parallel Wheels | Celis Tails

My PedalBox Stealth Install: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=725889
Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBSD View Post
Hi All
A couple of weeks back I received my 2014 F01 750d. On the way back home from the dealer I got an error message which I checked out with ISTA-D after my arrival and identified as "Ladedruckregelung (Boost pressure control?)" and "Ladedruckregelung: Niederdruckstufe (Boost pressure control: Low pressure stage?)".
As this results in the dpf denying to regenerate I decided to park it at a BMW workshop nearby (the dealer where I bought the car from is ~300km away. Didn't want to risk that with a non-regenerating dpf) and let them have a look. As I received an official BMW warranty with the purchase I didn't really care about what has to be done anyway plus the dealer I bought the car from instantly agreed to cover any costs involved, as this has been missed during their inspection.
Later that day I received a call from the workshop regarding the problem. They told me that someone from BMW was at their workshop that day and they decided to have a test drive together to see what the problem might be.
After their test drive they were pretty sure (very scientific isn't it? ) that the big turbo is the problem and would have to be replaced. Would take them around 1,5-2 weeks to get this done and would cost ~6k Euro (I'm in Germany).

The actual question I have after this long story: ISTA-D isn't that specific to decide that the turbo has to be replaced. At least based on the error-codes. I'm wondering what BMW officials would use additionally during a test drive to identify that it's most likely one of the three turbos. My initial assumption was that they would use ICOM + ISTA-D but maybe you know more about the full mobile setup of a BMW technician? If my assumption is right, my second theory is that the workshop goes for the part where they earn the most as another dealer is paying for it anyway.

Reason why I'm interested in this is: As soon as my car returns I'd love to connect my laptop to the car, have a test-drive and have the same view as the BMW technician had back then.

Thanks in advance
You do not mention the symptoms at the time. I would suspect a substantial engine power reduction.
Did it continue to occur again after an engine shut down and sleep cycle?

What faults were stored?

Last edited by ingenieur; 07-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: F01 - 750d x-Drive (2014)
It was just throwing an "engine" error making the car a bit too "chilled" for its 381hp and 740nm. Not really a difference to my previous 530d (F11). When I reached 200km/h though the car became extremely aggressive. At that speed it was impressive with how much torque it pushed straight to 250-260km/h where it's limited.

I was able to replicate the error every time.
When I picked up the car after purchase the dealer told me that they upgraded to the latest I-Level and that programming will only be over after around 100km of driving. So I ignored the error the first time and let the car do its thing. After the second time I started to ask myself if that's still OK. I tried it on a 3rd day again and was able to replicate the error at around 140km/h and 1500-2000rpm. As ISTA stated that engine errors disable the dpf regeneration I went straight to the workshop.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search