Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Noone Special

Mein Auto: 02 e46 325 xi
1998 m3 common problems to look for

I just got a 98 m3 and I am starting to fix her up. Right now her rear brakes are locked up, oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets, ps lines, and rad hoses. The motor still pulls strong. The car has 106k miles.

Since I have little experience with e36 I figured I would drop a post here. I am looking for common things that go bad on these cars and what to fix while the car is laid up.

E9 One Day It Will Be Mine
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
1.) Buy a Bentley Repair Manual.

2.) look on Ebaymotors for a copy of the BMW TIS (technical info).

3.) Join the BMW CCA. Lots of vendors give 15-20% discounts on parts, plus you get a great magazine (Roundel) My chapter has monthly socials at various restaurants and bars. They pick up $20 of your tab. Plus you get to hang out with some cool people and cars.

4.) Buy a copy of 101 things to do with a 3 series (pelican parts) Lots of how tos... Also http://www.bimmerdiy.com/

Become friends with http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ Online version of the BMW EKT (parts Catalog)

Become good friends with any number of BMW parts suppliers. http://www.rmeuropean.com/, Pelican parts, Penske parts, www.getbmwparts.com (Tischer BMW in Silver Spring Md)

You will soon learn what BMW stands for... Bring Money Withya...

Things to look for...lol

Entire cooling system every 80-100K miles. (raidator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank and cap, hoses)
Suspension bushings and ball joints. 80-100K miles. Front and rear.
leaky ass hose hose clamps on the power steering hoses, and on top of the gas tank.
Strange electrical problems, Look at the wiring loom on the left rear trunk hinge. The wires wear and short out..
Strange climate control problems. (sircuit board in the control unit fails, or a capicator dies. (pretty easy fix)

Welcome...lol

Last edited by rrsperry; 11-10-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Noone Special

Mein Auto: 02 e46 325 xi
Well I do haver access to tis and ekt, Plus I have a friend that been a bmw tech for years which will help as well.
Was already planning on doing the complete coolant system overhaul, just did it to my e46, not that bad.
Thanks for all the input, I am going to dive right in this weekend and see where I get to

E9 One Day It Will Be Mine