Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I just traded my 2010 diesel on 2011 sport. Gas mileage was not that great. Slight vibration got old, Sport is better looking and at red light I feel like I am in electric car as it is that quiet.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
If you are buying an X5 thinking it will fit your needs for a sports car, or it is your only car to live out your motoring desires, the diesel might not be perfect.

If you are looking for a luxury AWD with phenomenal handling and great driveability in over-the-road situations (ie not stoplight racing, not power sliding in canyons) it is unbeatable.

Right tool for the job, as they say...

A
Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
If you are buying an X5 thinking it will fit your needs for a sports car, or it is your only car to live out your motoring desires, the diesel might not be perfect.

If you are looking for a luxury AWD with phenomenal handling and great driveability in over-the-road situations (ie not stoplight racing, not power sliding in canyons) it is unbeatable.

Right tool for the job, as they say...

A
Well said. I love my diesel. Drove up to Tahoe, and it just cruised up the hills without even breaking a slight sweat. Just a pleasure to drive. Such a solid engine in a solid vehicle. 20k miles and still absolutely no regrets.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d / 335i
29000 miles & Happy

29000 Miles... We purchased this to be our family road-trip vehicle... frequent hauls from VA to TX to the Beach, to all the ALMS races along the East coast. The diesel is great over the road. The turbo diesel powers over mountains and I have NEVER needed more power to merge or pass than I have at my disposal (and that's saying something, because I loves me some speed).... I see 27+ (avg mpg) while maintaining 75+mph... We saw a LOT of snow in 2009/10 and the X5 with standard wheels performed flawlessly. I just wish the towing situation wasn't so confusing... I'd love to make use of this Torque to tow an Airstream
Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Mine is now in production with a 11/17 estimated completion time. Hope to see it at the dealer in early December. Then it's going to be a daily commuter, weekend kid carrier, and occasional long-trip vehicle. No towing or power sliding in the canyons, but as long as it can scratch the occasional need for speed itch, I'll be happy.

Last edited by Tlon; 11-13-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:59 AM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Mine is now in production with a 11/17 estimated completion time. Hope to see it at the dealer in early December. Then it's going to be a daily commuter, weekend kid carrier, and occasional long-trip vehicle. No towing or power sliding in the canyons, but as long as it can scratch the occasional need for speed itch, I'll be happy.
that is great to know about yours being in production! I have completed my order and now it is in the system waiting for production. Hopefully will know tomorrow! I am getting excited!
What are your specs? Mine is alpine white, loaded.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
DEF complaints and diesel fuel grades/availability seem to be mentioned.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
Best vehicle I ever owned. always get 26 mpg and occasionally up to 28. We tow a small travel trailer a couple times a year. Weighs about 1700 pounds and is full height. Get 19 mpg. Awesome. Of course, contrary to some, I "drive it like I own it".
Old 11-14-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
that is great to know about yours being in production! I have completed my order and now it is in the system waiting for production. Hopefully will know tomorrow! I am getting excited!
What are your specs? Mine is alpine white, loaded.
I ordered a Black Saphire with Black Nevada Leather (my favorite BMW colors, but the X5 looks good in almost any color I think; Alpine White looks awesome), Premium package, Premium sound, Technology package, roof rails, heated front seats, and the comfort seats.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 AM
'Fester

Quote:
I ordered a Black Saphire with Black Nevada Leather (my favorite BMW colors, but the X5 looks good in almost any color I think; Alpine White looks awesome), Premium package, Premium sound, Technology package, roof rails, heated front seats, and the comfort seats.
sounds awesome! It was either white,black or deep sea blue. I saw a white one and that did it for me!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I ordered one too after reading the great responses to this thread. However I am toying between buying or leasing. Is anyone worried about the eventual more stringent EPA regulations on particulate emissions that might outlaw diesels in the US? I am just thinking resale down the line if these regulation do get passes.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnybf View Post
I ordered one too after reading the great responses to this thread. However I am toying between buying or leasing. Is anyone worried about the eventual more stringent EPA regulations on particulate emissions that might outlaw diesels in the US? I am just thinking resale down the line if these regulation do get passes.

Seriously???????????

Turn around and look at the last 50 years (?) of emissions regulations.

Can you cite ONE that has resulted in depression of resale of any older car, or made any old car "illegal"???

If anything, it will make those "older, high polluting, better performing, without all that emissions crap cars" more valuable...

I have zero concerns.

A
Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5
CAFE and green house gas regulations have not been as aggressive as in recent years. We are at the cusp of climate change and it is in the forefront of the political arena. Regulations always grandfather existing vehicles but can outlaw future sales. I believe these tend to reduce the resale of these mass market vehicles because it make them less desirable to the general consumer if diesel tech is outlawed.

I am not 100 percent sure of the regulations or impact hence I posted the question.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
CAFE and green house gas regulations have not been as aggressive as in recent years. We are at the cusp of climate change and it is in the forefront of the political arena. Regulations always grandfather existing vehicles but can outlaw future sales. I believe these tend to reduce the resale of these mass market vehicles because it make them less desirable to the general consumer if diesel tech is outlawed.

I am not 100 percent sure of the regulations or impact hence I posted the question.
Yeah, I guess true.

Maybe since the diesel is an ULTRA low emissions vehicle, the question should be "What if they outlaw all the GASOLINE vehicles"?
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d / 335i
Quote:
..This is why our forefathers created a democratically controlled Republic... VOTE...
Personally, I think the Hybrid fad will have a significant backlash when folks wake up and realize : a)how environmentally "Unfriendly" the mining of heavy metals is to make the batteries, b) what happens when the batteries in their hybrids fail and need the powerpaks replaced at $$$$$$, c) what happens when all the dead batteries from millions of hybrid cars start polluting the land... 10 years from now people will be like "hey let's ban batteries and make clean bio-diesel the fuel of the future...

in fact, many of the recent concept cars I've seen are hybrids with "diesel" engines to recharge the batteries... I think diesel is just coming into it's golden age...

... Right Now Diesel is the most fuel efficient, strongest performing, best range of any other option for me personally... Your hesitation to buy what's right now, based on what "could be" 10 years from now is a little like canceling weekend vacation plans because their is a 30% chance of showers...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Six months and 7000 miles---Damn near perfect in every way. The diesel is just amazing, smooth with a nice rumble and I like a little growl I can hear with the push of the pedal. I get over 23 mpg with mostly city streets and when I want power I tell it and it's there every time. I live my life with high expectations of everything being perfect and see how things work out as time and results feed back and of all the post I have read here for nine months of some scary stuff my X5 (SO FAR) is kicking some ass. Maybe I just got a good one...I don't know.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
My first deisel

Quote:
Just ordered a new 35d today. I've never owned a Diesel before and am still a little nervous. I drove one a few months ago, but had to place the order without test driving another one since the dealer didn't have any on the lot. Just wondering if anyone who purchased one has had any regrets...
So glad you posted this. I too had lots of question,picked mine up 5 days ago and love how it drives. The sound of the deisel is some getting used to though. My husband loves it he says it sounds cool. Wish I wouldn't have put running boards on, Im 5'5" and my leg always hits the side. I downloaded an app ony iPhone to find deisel prices near me and I amazed how each gas station has different pricing.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Hi CarChic. Thanks for your comment. I've found everyone's (well, almost everyone's) responses to have been really helpful too. Can I ask what iPhone app you're using for Diesel locations?

I didn't order the running boards for precisely that reason. I figured my wife would be yelling at me every time she got out of the vehicle.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
It's a free app called "gas prices". I'm sure
there are more to choose from. I liked
this one because it was free and easy to use.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Those running boards are hell on ladies hose too!
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklegdave View Post
29000 Miles... We purchased this to be our family road-trip vehicle... frequent hauls from VA to TX to the Beach, to all the ALMS races along the East coast. The diesel is great over the road. The turbo diesel powers over mountains and I have NEVER needed more power to merge or pass than I have at my disposal (and that's saying something, because I loves me some speed).... I see 27+ (avg mpg) while maintaining 75+mph... We saw a LOT of snow in 2009/10 and the X5 with standard wheels performed flawlessly. I just wish the towing situation wasn't so confusing... I'd love to make use of this Torque to tow an Airstream
FYI-There is a slick wireless electric brake controller and display unit available from Tekonsha. The Tekonhsa wireless electric brake controller unit mounts on the trailer and the controller display unit is portable and gets 12v power from the driver lighter socket. A BMW installed brake controller display unit requires tearing up the X5 to install a brake controler display holder bracket in the drivers side cup holder and run a 12v wire from under the drivers side cup holder back to the battery - and BMW charges about $600 labor for that and you still have to buy the BMW controller and display units $1000+.
Most RV/horse trailers with electric brakes require a 7 pole socket on the towing vehicle. BMW standard trailer hitch comes with a 4 pole socket harnes - most boat and small trailers use 4 pole sockets. A 7 pole socket can be ordered from BMW as on option for their electric brake controller unit - about $90 and is installed by BMW when the trailer hitch is installed. The wireless Tekonsha brake controller self calabrates - a big deal!. The BMW systems requires you to bring the car and trailer to the dealer after installaton for calabration/reprograming.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-Prodi.../dp/B001P0ZA86 Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 i530
Cost difference worth it though?

Gang, I have an 02 X5 3.0 and sure it gets btwn 14 and 20 mpg, about 17.5 with my urban and highway mix. Wife needs a new car, tax purposes and all, so I get the 06 530i and she wants a newer X5. I am running the math in my head, trying to figure out how I can justify a 60,000 diesel when I know I can get a 3.0 X5 gas for a lot less and still get her the options she wants (cold weather package in Florida?????). My 02 X5, will get 400-450 miles per tank on the highway, so is that extra 100 miles per fill-up really worth it over, say 5 years?

I know I am all for saving the environment, but with Diesel and Premium costing about the same here in NE Florida, I am looking at saving about $1,000 a year in fuel. I may have convinced myself in typing this that the spread is not worth paying the extra amount.
89 325ic 5-speed

Retired:
95 525i auto - 195,000 miles
Old 11-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35d
Just finished a 1600-mile tow with my brand new 35d. Hauled about 5500 pounds (race car in enclosed trailer). Couldn't be happier with the power. Set the cruise control mph and it stayed there, no matter how big the hill. Plenty of passing power when needed. Mileage while towing was 15.5 including towing through the Southern Missouri and Arkansas mountains. My old 4.4i got 4 mpg less than that, and it rarely saw hill country.

I had the dealer install the hitch and the BMW brake controller when they prepped the vehicle for delivery. Yep, you lose one cup holder, but it's a slick install and the controls are right there at your fingertips. My hitch came with the 7-pin circular connector. Plug-n-play with my trailer, no problems. Dealer charged me $1500 total for the package--hitch and controller--installed.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
No regrets

Subsidized pricing with $4500 BMW eco credit, $1800 federal tax credit and better fuel mileage with relatively similiar gas price / gallon vs premium? Not difficult decision to go X5d. Added JBD piggyback and just makes me chuckle knowing how much $$ people spent on x5 35i.

Buying used - perhaps different story given economics depending on car configuration. But x5d is long term buy for me and with recent gas $$ bump up - will gladly take the 26mpg suburban city driving with the x5d.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 PM
'Fester

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchic View Post
So glad you posted this. I too had lots of question,picked mine up 5 days ago and love how it drives. The sound of the deisel is some getting used to though. My husband loves it he says it sounds cool. Wish I wouldn't have put running boards on, Im 5'5" and my leg always hits the side. I downloaded an app ony iPhone to find deisel prices near me and I amazed how each gas station has different pricing.
love it! Another female X5 driver. I didn't order the running boards since I'm 5'4" and tried one and keep hitting my leg on the side. Thanks for the tip on the iphone app!