Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaskelo View Post
I just traded my 2010 diesel on 2011 sport. Gas mileage was not that great. Slight vibration got old, Sport is better looking and at red light I feel like I am in electric car as it is that quiet.
I'm not so enamored of my 35d either. I absolutely love every single thing about the interior of the vehicle. However, I pretty much hate how it drives (I like the adaptive drive though).

I came out of a 2003 E53 3.0. My old E53 was a cheetah by comparison to my new E70. Plus, since my commute is a big 5mi/day (one way), I'm only getting an average of 17mpg (I have 6k miles on the car); that's 2 mpg less that the bottom of the EPA rating. I certainly wasn't expecting that!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I've had my diesel for about 10 days now --- I don't miss my '08 535xi a bit. I only took brief test drives before I ordered my X5, so I just assumed I was giving up that tight BMW driving feel going from a 5 to an X5...I was wrong. I think the X5d has better steering, equal road feel, more than enough power --- and slightly better mileage. Throw in the extra space and new technology and I'm completely sold. It leased out better than my '08 535 and way better than a similar 2011 5 series. The 20" wheels really make a huge difference.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
I'm not so enamored of my 35d either. I absolutely love every single thing about the interior of the vehicle. However, I pretty much hate how it drives (I like the adaptive drive though).

I came out of a 2003 E53 3.0. My old E53 was a cheetah by comparison to my new E70. Plus, since my commute is a big 5mi/day (one way), I'm only getting an average of 17mpg (I have 6k miles on the car); that's 2 mpg less that the bottom of the EPA rating. I certainly wasn't expecting that!
Your 3.0i E53 was a cheetah in comparison? Are you serious?

E53 3.0i 0-60 was about 8.2 seconds, 35d is about 7.2.

And no matter what car you get, your mpg will be worse than the EPA with that route.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5d
Yes, I regreted not ordering the Space Saver Spare Tire, which cost ~ 3 times more post purchase.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Well, I guess I'm going to find out tomorrow. I put down an order on the 8th, it was finished being built on the 17th, and made it to the dealer today. My head is spinning that was so fast. Less than two weeks from order to delivery.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:

Something does not figure here. I could not get below 19.x miles per gallon on my trip computer even when I tried on any 5 mile trip since purchased about 9000 miles ago. Have never seen 17mpg over any regular trip/commute and two days a week my commute is less than 5 miles combined!

Last edited by XXX555; 11-19-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Well, I guess I'm going to find out tomorrow. I put down an order on the 8th, it was finished being built on the 17th, and made it to the dealer today. My head is spinning that was so fast. Less than two weeks from order to delivery.
No way! I didn't even get a production number yet and I placed the order last week!!! Did you pick it up yet???? Pics?????
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
I just traded our 2010 X5 35d after putting 20k miles on her. It was a superb vehicle and I had no regrets. I bought a 2011 5.0 cause I missed the power and sound of a gas V8. I will drive this car for some time and I am still open to perhaps getting another diesel down the road.

One thing that I did not like at all was the hassle with diesel fuel and the awful support by US gas stations, from wrong nozzles to oily nasty pump handles to stations carrying no diesel at all and the wide variance of diesel grade. THAT was a major, major pain that I don't miss anymore.

But I sure miss the gas mileage that I no longer get! LOL

-------------------------------------
Current Family Fleet -
2012 335is Convertible (Awaiting ED)
2011 X5 5.0 Sport
2011 135i Sport
2011 335i Sport
Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:

Barbja, Sorry to hear about your experience with X5D. It was not so long ago, when we were waiting to get our hands on the 2011 35D. It was an agonizing wait because of the seat module. I am at a little over 3000 miles (2000 miles of which was from a trip to Orlando, FL). So haven't been riding it too much. I am hovering at 20.0 mpg at worst (nearby trips) and do get over 25 (up to 28 mpg) on longer drives with highway content. I can echo what you say except the mileage. The cons in my experience:

a) Turbo lag when trying to rocket off quickly from a standstill
b) Diesel noise (I only notice it on idle/at very low speeds)

Pros:

a) Very stable ride at highway speeds
b) Adaptive drive is awesome, even when adaptive drive is off the vehicle handles well. Maybe I am impressed easily because it is my first BMW
c) Passing power is plentiful! The diesel torque is great!

And to OP: No I don't regret it.

Last edited by acrackl; 11-19-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35D
Quote:

Perhaps a software reset to erase current driving adaptations might help to force your E70 re-adapt to your driving preferences.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Quote:

Barbja,

I was getting no more than about 18 mpg, most probably due to a very short commute (less than 5 miles each way, and all of it on VERY hilly Little Rock roads. I also have a heavy lead foot...). We moved two months ago, and my commute now is about 10 miles each way with 60% highway. My mpg has already gone up to 19.4.

As for the OP question, I love my diesel. This is my first (and my first SUV) and now I'm hooked. If I buy another sedan, I'll go for a diesel too (love the torque). My only gripes are the diesel clatter and turbo lag. I'm hoping BMW will address both in the next iteration of the X5d in the 2013 or 2014 model.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 08 528i, 10 x5 35d
I have had my MY 2010 x5 35d for about a year, with 13k miles on it.

So far, it has been awesome. The torque is awesome, especially when going 25mph+, it has rock solid handling (I have adaptive drive, and drive in sport on the highway and normal on the city streets to soften the ride given potholes, construction, etc), and it gets great mileage (about 23-24mpg overall, mostly highway driving). I live nearby many diesel stations, and the chevron I frequent most is very clean.

It is very quiet for a diesel, but it is louder on the outside than the old gas engine (haven't heard the new N55 or N63 versions). I like the characteristic diesel growl, though...it sounds powerful to me. In the cabin and on the road, though, it is very quiet, especially at crusing speeds. Acceleration is audible (more so than my whisper queit 528i), but it is not unpleasant at all.

It does have some turbo lag, so it blasting off at stop lights is your thing (it isn't mine) then it isn't the right choice for you. The 50i (or M for that matter) are certainly better choices for sporty driving, but to me they weren't worth the large price premium (when I bought mine there was the 4500 eco credit, 1800 tax credit, the sales tax/income tax deduction, though there was a phase out with that, and it only applied to purchases made in 2009). I would think if you are looking for the best performance regardless of price the 50i or M are the way to go.

In any event, if you do a lot of highway driving and want the utility, this is the model for you, especially at the price point.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
Your 3.0i E53 was a cheetah in comparison? Are you serious?

E53 3.0i 0-60 was about 8.2 seconds, 35d is about 7.2.

And no matter what car you get, your mpg will be worse than the EPA with that route.
Yes, I'm serious -- Looking at numbers on a piece of paper doesn't always translate to how a person drives their car in real life. I don't know about you, but I rarely drive my car on a drag-strip.

The 35d is quite sluggish off the line, which is 90% of my driving (note that 5 mile commute; 2.5 when I don't drop my son off at school). Almost everywhere I drive is within a 5-mile radius. Ikea is my farthest "jaunt" and its only 12 miles away (that's what the nav tells me -- I was quite surprised when I saw that -- it seems like 30!)

For highway driving, I'd choose the 35d over my old car; the increased size isn't as noticeable and it has way more oomph in that arena. For the other 90% of my driving, I miss my 30i. I test drove an X6 50i and that thing was EXCELLENT! The interior of the car felt exactly the same as my 35d, but the car felt smaller (sportier?) when I drove it, and I loved that it did exactly what I said to do when I said to do it which is what I'm missing in my 35d (GO NOW, wait for it, ok I'll go now).

I'll ask my SA if there's anything that he can do to 'fix up' its current response. Couldn't hurt, the worst he can say is no.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:35 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
@ Barbja:

We went from an E53 3.0 to a series of E70 3.0's, and the difference was night and day. The E70 3.0 was MUCH quicker off the line than the E53. (I have not driven the 3.5i with the 8 speed, so can't comment there, although I would suspect that there is some turbo lag that would make it slower off the line than the NA 3.0). So something doesn't add up.

A couple things you could try:
  1. Driving in DS mode instead of D should drop you down a gear in almost all situations, which will noticeably improve pick-up..
  2. AFAIK the 35D has an adaptive transmission which learns your driving style. If you drive like a little old lady 90% of the time, it will shift slowly and make the car feel slower. Try driving it for a week like you are a 17-year-old boy. If I am correct, it will learn your "new" driving style and shift quicker for you in the future.
  3. Try a different brand of fuel. I'm still a little puzzled by diesel, and the lack of cetane ratings at the pumps. Not sure what the difference between "regular" and "premium" diesel is, as it seems to be a well-kept secret. But I "think" I notice my 35D performs better on some tanks of fuel than on others, so it may be worth checking to see if different fuel gives you better performance.

It also may be that your short trips never allow the motor to properly warm up. Next time you take that "long" drive to IKEA and back, see if you feel the acceleration is as lacking at the end of the trip as at the beginning.

At the risk of stating the obvious, a 5,000 pound SAV probably wasn't a good choice if you wanted good gas mileage and quick acceleration on very short trips. A smaller hybrid may have been more what you were looking for. (X6 5.0? You don't even want to know how bad the fuel economy would have been on your daily drive!)

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2011 535xi M Sport TiAg / Black, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW, ZDA, 2TB, 6NR, 465, 5DL, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Prior BMW's
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Quote:
Yes, I'm serious -- Looking at numbers on a piece of paper doesn't always translate to how a person drives their car in real life. I don't know about you, but I rarely drive my car on a drag-strip.

The 35d is quite sluggish off the line, which is 90% of my driving (note that 5 mile commute; 2.5 when I don't drop my son off at school). Almost everywhere I drive is within a 5-mile radius. Ikea is my farthest "jaunt" and its only 12 miles away (that's what the nav tells me -- I was quite surprised when I saw that -- it seems like 30!)
Something must be wrong with how you're accelerating - are you just referring to the accelerator lag in regular D mode? All BMWs for the past 5 or so years have had this to improve MPG, you can get around by either jamming the gas, or just switching to DS. This is not limited to the 35d, common complaint amongst all BMWs.

0-30 for the 35d is 2.0s, compared to 2.1s for a 2002 M3

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...est/specs.html

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...les/2002BMWM3/

Last edited by Newmanium; 11-24-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
All BMWs for the past 5 or so years have had this to improve MPG, you can get around by either jamming the gas, or just switching to DS. This is not limited to the 35d, common complaint amongst all BMWs.

0-30 for the 35d is 2.0s, compared to 2.1s for a 2002 M3

/

Yup... my Ford Focus has better throttle response than any recent BMW I driven.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
35d purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Thanks everyone. Starting to feel good about the order.

I've started reading the threads a bit more since making the order, and it sounds like the couple issues are making sure to get the right diesel (other than no more than 7% biodiesel, any other specs to look for) and possible cold weather issues if you don't have winter diesel at the pumps. I guess it's less plug-n-play than regular gas, but any other issues I should be aware of?
As an aside, you might try to find a station whose diesel nozzles fit the tank...some don't, and having to use the adapter can be a pain, and a messy one at that.

Apart from that, you will love your new car...I really enjoy mine.

Richard
Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Xdrive35D
Its been 6 months, 8000 miles and absolutely no regrets. This is my first SUV and a first Diesel. You have to just get used to the idling engine sound and a small turbo lag at start. There are no problems with winter starts, I live in IA and the temperatures so far has touched -15's to -20's (wind chill). Also the dealer and the Cust. Rep on BMW Assist said, any regular diesel at the pump will work when asked them about the 5-20% Bio Diesel. I get 21.5 MPG in city driving and got 25-26 in my recent trip to FL.

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
2006 MB E350 4Matic BLK (Gone)
2001 Nissan Maxima BLK (Gone)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: x5d
Love the MPG, but mine seems loud

Is that normal for a diesel? I sound like a school bus, and 0-40...loud, after 40 mph it is pretty quiet. First diesel, altho I did drive a friends, and test drove one at the dealership and I didn't remember either of those being loud.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpm3 View Post
Just finished a 1600-mile tow with my brand new 35d. Hauled about 5500 pounds (race car in enclosed trailer). Couldn't be happier with the power. Set the cruise control mph and it stayed there, no matter how big the hill. Plenty of passing power when needed. Mileage while towing was 15.5 ...
Now that's what I like to hear. Mine is on order. Looking to buy an e30 for dedicated track use. The D was the obvious choice for family hauler. You can't beat the flexibility of this machine!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d / 335i
Wow... So much has changed, yet so much stays the same... all this complaining...

I have 30,000 miles on my 09. I can haul a full load of family and cargo at 75mph, getting 28mpg, for 500+ miles between stops. NOTHING beats me off the line (because I'm usually the only 1 racing), I have MORE than enough power to enter the highway at speed, make space, and pass anything that I need....

All while getting 28MPG on the highway, 22MPG around town, in a 5000lb SUV, that looks great too... oh yeah, handles great, doesn't get stuck in the snow too... Oh and the diesel, yeah it's more noisy than the neighbor's prius... I can start it in the garage with no fumes. I don't have to do anything to it, except drive it, and take to the shop when the car tells me something is wrong. And once there the shop treats me like a celebrity.

It's F'ng fantastic technology... Don't buy the diesel if you just commute around 5miles to and from the store / work, but then why get an X5. If that's all i ever did, I'd get a convertible, sedan or wagon. Don't buy this if you want to feel / sound like your driving a race car... Get the V8 or better yet, an M5.

Buy the right tool for the job and you'll be happy... A Diesel SAV is best suited to long over the road trips, hauling gear and toys, and doing it using less fuel with less stops...

If you don't get it, you won't get it...
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
I purchased my 2010 X5 35d in a similar manner, having test driven the vehicle once and then had to place an order for the one I wanted. I was focused on the "green" aspect of the diesel over the X5, given the better gas mileage and the better performance over the 6 cylinder. I've really enjoyed the diesel and it didn't take long to get used to the sound of the car. It has great torque and acceleration for a SAV. The only complaint I have is with an interior finish on all four door seals that overlap the headliner that have begun to "oxidize" or fade from black to a grey. The dealer and the field representative have determined that this is not a manufacturing defect, but rather due to the environment. I live in Souther California and the car is mostly garaged during the day and evening. Outside of that complaint, I have really enjoyed the added distance between fill ups at the gas station.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklegdave View Post
Wow... So much has changed, yet so much stays the same... all this complaining...

I have 30,000 miles on my 09. I can haul a full load of family and cargo at 75mph, getting 28mpg, for 500+ miles between stops. NOTHING beats me off the line (because I'm usually the only 1 racing), I have MORE than enough power to enter the highway at speed, make space, and pass anything that I need....

All while getting 28MPG on the highway, 22MPG around town, in a 5000lb SUV, that looks great too... oh yeah, handles great, doesn't get stuck in the snow too... Oh and the diesel, yeah it's more noisy than the neighbor's prius... I can start it in the garage with no fumes. I don't have to do anything to it, except drive it, and take to the shop when the car tells me something is wrong. And once there the shop treats me like a celebrity.

It's F'ng fantastic technology... Don't buy the diesel if you just commute around 5miles to and from the store / work, but then why get an X5. If that's all i ever did, I'd get a convertible, sedan or wagon. Don't buy this if you want to feel / sound like your driving a race car... Get the V8 or better yet, an M5.

Buy the right tool for the job and you'll be happy... A Diesel SAV is best suited to long over the road trips, hauling gear and toys, and doing it using less fuel with less stops...

We must have twins, 11,000 mi. and so far it's a rocking machine. While I must admit I don't get attached as much to an auto like some folks here but to each their own, the diesel has it all. My ONLY complaint right now is that when refueling I cannot help but to keep checking that I have chosen the correct pump as I have three other vehicles (two gas-two diesel total). Turns out that in our marriage contract (fine print) I am to refuel all engines. Mine will be gone in less then three years but if it keeps performing like it has been it will be the benchmark for the next purchase and will salute her on the way out.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie1 View Post
Is that normal for a diesel? I sound like a school bus, and 0-40...loud, after 40 mph it is pretty quiet. First diesel, altho I did drive a friends, and test drove one at the dealership and I didn't remember either of those being loud.
How many miles do you have on yours? I too found mine to be loud at first but find that with a little use (2000 miles now) it seems to have quietened down. Of course it's possible I just got used to it. But sometimes when my wife drives it and comes back into the garage I open the door from the house and listen, and it definitely is less than it was say 1000 miles ago.

My mileage is not that great, although driving is still about 80% suburban with about 40% short trips. Best I've seen and computed is about 19.7.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
This is classic and right on the money...For the full diesel feel good effect, try the 335D as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklegdave View Post

2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav