Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: x5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
How many miles do you have on yours? I too found mine to be loud at first but find that with a little use (2000 miles now) it seems to have quietened down. Of course it's possible I just got used to it. But sometimes when my wife drives it and comes back into the garage I open the door from the house and listen, and it definitely is less than it was say 1000 miles ago.

My mileage is not that great, although driving is still about 80% suburban with about 40% short trips. Best I've seen and computed is about 19.7.
I have about 1500 on it so far. I picked it up Feb 8. Going up hill seems to be the loudest. My MPG so far is 24 mpg. Which is great since most of my driving is city (picking up kids and local errands). I had a Jeep Commander prior to the X5. I never got more then 14.2 mpg. It was horrible. So, I am really enjoying less face time with the local gas attendant. I keep reading that the new diesels are quiet...I guess they mean quieter then how they used to be?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Well I wasn't that alert to how they used to be but the other day there was a fairly new, large dually (but still light-duty) truck at the gas station. He had been parked before I got there, with engine turned off. I stopped at the pumps about 3 over from where he was.

About mid-way through my own fueling, I was startled by a sudden and LOUD diesel sound. Expecting a semi but not having seen one, I then determined it was coming from this truck. The clatter was deafening, even outdoors and me about 50 feet away. I don't know if it was modified to sound louder but it was pretty incredible in its volume.

I've only had one comment on the 'dieselness' of my X5, when I was in an empty parking lot and wanted to admire it in motion, so I asked my wife to drive it around slowly. A guy taking a walk with his wife asked me if it was a diesel and said something like "cool" - he had a gas X5.

PS: Looks like you're doing about 70 miles/day? That's very good mileage if all city.

Last edited by kck7; 03-01-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: Boxster
Standard seats

I like pretty much everything about my X5d

What I don't like are the standard seats. Too firm and I can't deflate the lumbar support enough to get comfortable. Or, perhaps the lumbar is fully deflated and the seat's springs are just too pronounced in the same area.

I hate that I can't close the rear hatch via the keyfob or the console.

I hate that BMW deceptively omitted the front tweeters, yet left the tweeter enclosures in place.

I hate that BMW omitted the rear cargo lift spring as the means to save $5
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: x5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
Well I wasn't that alert to how they used to be but the other day there was a fairly new, large dually (but still light-duty) truck at the gas station. He had been parked before I got there, with engine turned off. I stopped at the pumps about 3 over from where he was.

About mid-way through my own fueling, I was startled by a sudden and LOUD diesel sound. Expecting a semi but not having seen one, I then determined it was coming from this truck. The clatter was deafening, even outdoors and me about 50 feet away. I don't know if it was modified to sound louder but it was pretty incredible in its volume.

I've only had one comment on the 'dieselness' of my X5, when I was in an empty parking lot and wanted to admire it in motion, so I asked my wife to drive it around slowly. A guy taking a walk with his wife asked me if it was a diesel and said something like "cool" - he had a gas X5.

PS: Looks like you're doing about 70 miles/day? That's very good mileage if all city.
Yes, I'd say about 70 miles a day. Depending on whether my kids catch the bus or not (missing it is usually the case). I use up more gas on the 20 miles to/from school at 35-40 mph then I do going on a long 2 hr highway drive to my mothers. And, after driving the Jeep Commander...I can deal w/ the noise with such great mpg. When we ordered our X5...Diesel was 3.19...now 3.65! Still a deal w/ the gas mileage. (but, 3.19 was much better). We had a MINI stick shift. The x5 sort of reminds me of the way the MINI sounded...altho a don't have to shift gears (remember the Volk-o-matics?). So, besides my concern over the diesel noise...I am super happy w/ the X5.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The guy probably had a 3" Banks dual turbo set up with flowmaster's and was on his way to run 14.5 second quarters at the track. Diesel trucks are loud. They are designed to work hard and last a long time with little attention paid to noise abatement. Actually in the cab you really don't notice it that much. Outside, alongside, is where (as you experienced) it rattles and clatters a lot.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d, 2008 135 conv
11500 miles now and zero issues. 23.2 MPG combined. Love the sound and the way it drives. No regrets.
2009 MINI Clubman S Astro Black/Tan

Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 335d & X5 35d
I have both the X5d and 335d (for about a year now). The diesel engines are great and hopefully more bomb-proof long term.

The only negative aspects I could think of....

- They are heavier than the gasser 6 which is more of big deal on the 335d
- Fueling stations are sometimes a problem (bad pump, no diesel, out of diesel)
- Fuel mileage on very short commutes is probably not gonna be better than a gasser
- It's louder on acceleration

I've never previously owned a diesel and now I doubt I'd ever own a gasser.