Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-15-2011, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 00 740IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehire View Post
UPDATE-According to Dealer, my Nav drive is one of the "quirky" ones that won't read the new discs. They say the nav drive needs replacing. Of course, I'm out of OEM warranty by three months and my CPO doesn't cover it.

Trying to work out a solution with Dealer. Stay tuned...........
Do you have CCC discs or High Version discs?
00=[][]=00
Old 03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehire View Post
UPDATE-According to Dealer, my Nav drive is one of the "quirky" ones that won't read the new discs. They say the nav drive needs replacing. Of course, I'm out of OEM warranty by three months and my CPO doesn't cover it.

Trying to work out a solution with Dealer. Stay tuned...........
Sorry it took so long to update. The Nav disc drive was replaced free of charge. Yes, it was out of warranty. I guess it really helps having a good relationship with your Dealer.
On Order for ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Greta is for SALE. 2002 M5
Old 03-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Retired Official Welcomer

Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2002 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
Do you have CCC discs or High Version discs?
The DVD-CCC.
On Order for ED pick-up 9/17/2014 2015 Yas Marina Blue M4~Black full Merino leather~Executive Package~Drivers Assistance Plus~Lighting Package~Adaptive M Suspension~19" Black Light-Alloy Style 437 wheels~Carbon Fiber trim~HK audio systems~6MT

Greta is for SALE. 2002 M5
Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi
So I purchased a 2011 E/W set from this seller on ebay. I'll find out if it'll work on my '08 535 nav. Will return here with "results".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item3a63fbbc34
Old 03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Stealth

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Black Saffire
Question Did you get an answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abjane10 View Post
I bought the 2010 535i and I guess the maps on the Nav are 2009 (when the car was built). I have couple of questions

1) Does the dealer update the maps based on which year they sell the car?
2) My nav only alerts me with freeway names, for most local streets or intersections it doesn't take the names. For ex: it would announce 'Now turn right' or ' Right turn in 700ft' or so. It never takes the street name for ex: 'Turn right on Saratoga Ave' or some thing similar.

3) Are they supposed to give me a DVD for the Nav ver I have pre-loaded on the car?
I have the same questions. You can download 2011 map updates or for about $50 you can buy pirated maps. What I don't know is on the 2010 535i, do the maps need to be installed by the dealer? If you buy the discs and put them in the CD drive will it automatically recognize and load them?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Stealth

Question 2010 535i

I can download the 2011 maps or for about $49 I can buy the pirated discs. Questions:

1. Will the DVD drive automatically recognize the discs and download the maps?

2. Is the download accomplished throught the iDrive?

2. On the 2010 model, does the map updating need to be done by the dealer?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Dvd nav

If you bought your car in 2010, its has the updated nav on hard disc. You do not gain much getting the 2011 updates. Very little I would say. I was at the Welt in Germany and there they are looking forward to get the 2012 update that has lot more map updates than the 2011. I guess if you can wait for some more time it may be worth the wait.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Stealth

2010 531i NAV

I have a 2010 535i and have looked at updating the maps. I can download the maps or just buy "copies" online for less than $50. Before I do this, however, I was hoping someone would have some answers to these questions:

1. Can maps on the 2010 models only be updated by the dealer?

2. If I get the disks, do I just insert them in the CD drive and navigate through the iDrive?

3. Does anyone know if all the new software bells and whistles (red light camers, congestion, speed traps, etc.,) work?

Last edited by Dorfman; 03-18-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM

got the discs today, but haven't gotten to it...due to wife driving the car [dammit]
Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: Non-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW535xia View Post
got the discs today, but haven't gotten to it...due to wife driving the car [dammit]
How does those pirated disc look?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaph View Post
How does those pirated disc look?
not reliable at all...disk errors, drops the nav., etc. i have another set coming to replace.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535XiT
I hope that all of you who openly discuss pirated discs are as cavalier about it when someone steals your intellectual property or otherwise impacts your business/profession illegally.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoltz View Post
I hope that all of you who openly discuss pirated discs are as cavalier about it when someone steals your intellectual property or otherwise impacts your business/profession illegally.
Or, when the person that owns this intellectual property (the nav data on the disks) decides to subpoena the private information of the people that have openly admitted to stealing that same intellectual property and files a lawsuit to recover damages / penalties.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I spent $125 on eBay for an original used OEM 2 set 2011 nav DVD. It turns out to be a pirated copy. Practically everything on eBay is pirated. Their much promoted Buyer Protection program is a rip-off as well. It is more than useless. Ebay will do nothing for you
I absolutely cannot understand why BMW is selling unprotected software in the first place. It totally destroys the market for selling used OEM nav disks. I bought an OEM 2011 disk for my wife's Odyssey for about $200 from Navteq und was able to sell a 3 year old OEM version for $125.
I cannot resell my BMW disks ever and actually would need to spend another $200 to get an actual OEM version. Every other manufacturer has protected nav software except otherwise super proprietary BMW. Go figure.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Stealth

I have a 2010 535i but I think I have 2009 maps based on the build date. I am trying to determine the following before I purchase 2011 disks:

1. Do NAV upgrades for the 2010 E60's need to be installed by the dealer?
2. If the answer to #1 above is NO, will the DVD player recognize these disks and self-load?
3. Will the traffic cameras and speed trap options be visible on the NAV screen?

Anyone offering advise with experience would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
I spent $125 on eBay for an original used OEM 2 set 2011 nav DVD. It turns out to be a pirated copy. Practically everything on eBay is pirated. Their much promoted Buyer Protection program is a rip-off as well. It is more than useless. Ebay will do nothing for you
I absolutely cannot understand why BMW is selling unprotected software in the first place. It totally destroys the market for selling used OEM nav disks. I bought an OEM 2011 disk for my wife's Odyssey for about $200 from Navteq und was able to sell a 3 year old OEM version for $125.
I cannot resell my BMW disks ever and actually would need to spend another $200 to get an actual OEM version. Every other manufacturer has protected nav software except otherwise super proprietary BMW. Go figure.
Even most write protected discs can be unlocked. If you search on bit torrent, megadownload, & other sites, you will find other auto makers nav discs, movies, & software programs that have been unlocked & available. If you try to directly copy the BMW nav disc, it usually wont work.You have to create an .iso file to properly format the info, & make it readable for the player. But, you can copy the imaged disc many times because it is now readable in that format.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM

I have a 2011 East cost OEM if anyone is interested to split the cost
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
When did you buy them from eBay? I was a seller and I got rip off royally by eBay/Paypal with som many scame chargebacks....so I no longer sell anything on there anymore. I thought eBay side consumers regardless if they are scammers or not.....eBay should go to hell
Old 04-10-2011, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfman View Post
I have a 2010 535i but I think I have 2009 maps based on the build date. I am trying to determine the following before I purchase 2011 disks:

1. Do NAV upgrades for the 2010 E60's need to be installed by the dealer?
2. If the answer to #1 above is NO, will the DVD player recognize these disks and self-load?
3. Will the traffic cameras and speed trap options be visible on the NAV screen?

Anyone offering advise with experience would be appreciated.
Dorfman, sorry that folks have been missing your pointed questions. This thread is a bit messy, but there are various posts with accurate info that apply to your questions. In an effort to help, I'll try to answer your specific questions en masse.

1. If your vehicle has the new "CIC" then the maps are stored on a hard drive. If you donít presently have a navigation DVD sitting in a drive slot, which needs to remain in the drive for your nav system to work, then you have the CIC. The current CIC software update procedure from BMW says you need to have your BMW service department update the maps on the hard drive.

2. The answer to #1 is yes with the CIC, no if you have the older CCC. With the CCC it should simply be a matter of taking out the old DVD and putting a new one in. Typically, if the nav system needs to be updated to work with the new media, the DVD will cause it to install necessary updates. However, there may be some caveats which require your BMW service department to update other software images that the DVD is unable to update.

3. If the DVD media you have includes these POI (Points of Interest) then they will appear on the map when that category of POI is selected, just like other POI icons. As to what media contains these POI, it is my understanding that the OEM discs from BMW do not contain these POI. There are aftermarket discs, based off the OEM media, where the POI database has been modified to include the speed traps and traffic/speed cameras. Itís not clear to me if the later media is legal. I do see at least one company that sells said media for considerably less than the media from BMW. I would hope that they have the appropriate software licenses in place and that the discs are high quality commercial grade, presumably stamped vs. burned.

In no way am I suggesting that anyone obtain software illegally.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM

For the CIC based nav systems( hard drive based) , you can also purchase an install DVD, along with an activation code, & install it yourself. You merely turn ignition on, insert the DVD, & it will prompt you for that activation code. Just enter it through your hard drive, & this will save you time spent at the dealer for roughly the sane price.
Also, traffic cams, & speed trap POI's are part of the 2011 nav disc pkg. Some of u were sent mailings about upgrading the nav disc and/or software.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B-mer View Post
For the CIC based nav systems( hard drive based) , you can also purchase an install DVD, along with an activation code, & install it yourself. You merely turn ignition on, insert the DVD, & it will prompt you for that activation code. Just enter it through your hard drive, & this will save you time spent at the dealer for roughly the sane price.
OK. I know a DVD (temporarily inserted, not to be left in drive for normal use) and an activation code are part of the procedure that the dealer actually follows for the CIC, but all customer facing materials I have seen direct the customer to contact the dealer for the updates and then the dealer sets you up with a service appointment.

I was not aware that customers can obtain activation codes directly. Can one simply purchase the CIC nav update DVD and activation code from the parts counter? Is there a legal way of ordering the materials online and having them shipped or downloaded? It would be great if BMW officially sanctions this method of update.

Also, what about updating the Gracenote CDDB? Itís still not clear to me how one can obtain the update disc or file for updating the CDDB. Although, ideally the car would have internet access and be able to perform CDDB lookups against the Gracenote servers if the local database was void of an entry. I have a number of media devices that use Gracenote in this way.

Quote:
Also, traffic cams, & speed trap POI's are part of the 2011 nav disc pkg. Some of u were sent mailings about upgrading the nav disc and/or software.
Interesting. If BMW is now offering this in the OEM media, great!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
OK. I know a DVD (temporarily inserted, not to be left in drive for normal use) and an activation code are part of the procedure that the dealer actually follows for the CIC, but all customer facing materials I have seen direct the customer to contact the dealer for the updates and then the dealer sets you up with a service appointment.

I was not aware that customers can obtain activation codes directly. Can one simply purchase the CIC nav update DVD and activation code from the parts counter? Is there a legal way of ordering the materials online and having them shipped or downloaded? It would be great if BMW officially sanctions this method of update.

Also, what about updating the Gracenote CDDB? Itís still not clear to me how one can obtain the update disc or file for updating the CDDB. Although, ideally the car would have internet access and be able to perform CDDB lookups against the Gracenote servers if the local database was void of an entry. I have a number of media devices that use Gracenote in this way.

Interesting. If BMW is now offering this in the OEM media, great!
Check out this link to a BMW M3 forum: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=124 So it is possible to self-load CIC map updates. I'm not sure about Gracenote updates. I just update media info at the time of loading on my USB thumb drive.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Check out this link to a BMW M3 forum: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=124 So it is possible to self-load CIC map updates. I'm not sure about Gracenote updates. I just update media info at the time of loading on my USB thumb drive.
Yeah, a repost of the same info from Technic is also on Bimmerfest at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=3

Technic references "TisherBMW" as the source of the CIC nav software media and FSC Activation Codes. I assume that is getBMWparts.com, aka BMW of Silver Spring, formally Tischer BMW. While they seem to be big into BMW parts sales, with their catalog online, I couldn't find any info online about such CIC media offerings. Out of curiosity I may try calling them, but since I don't personally have a CIC system right now, it seems like a bit of a time suck for all involved. Everyone I know with a CIC system has already had the dealer perform the update as they hit a brick wall when inquiring about a self-installed update.

There are other posts about obtaining the nav media and then trying to get the FSC activation codes:
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...av-update.html
http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/...ion-codes.html

The thing I take away from these, and similar posts, is that there is something of a gray market for FSC Activation Codes. It's not clear to me that these are officially sanctioned by BMW for customer install and clearly it can be a bit of a hunt to find someone with access to the BMW system that is willing to provide the activation codes to a customer.

Also, revisiting the topic of the speed/traffic camera and speed trap POIs:
You mentioned BMW sending out a notice, alluding (I think) that it advertised the speed/traffic camera and speed trap POIs for the 2011 maps. I don't know if BMW sent out a different piece of direct mail or some other email communication to folks that mentioned the new camera and trap POIs, but the only piece of mail I recall getting from BMW about maps updates was the typical one I get every year simply saying there are new maps available. Nowhere did it mention the addition of speed/traffic camera and speed trap POIs. I also looked online at the official BMW/Tele Atlas link for map updates, and nowhere does it mention these new POIs. That's not to say it's not there, just that BMW doesn't seem to be marketing it like the third parties do. Have you seen the 2011 OEM discs in action to confirm they have the speed/traffic camera and speed trap POIs?

For Gracenote CDDB: If you are dealing exclusively with digital audio files and are tagging them on your computer, then sure, there is no need for CDDB. If you happen to pop a CD into the car from time to time, CDDB is very useful.

Last edited by forum1; 04-13-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:40 AM

I have a backup copy of a 2011 nav disc that I use which contains both traffic cameras, & speed traps. Seems pretty accurate. I looked for my card & you were right about it not mentioning either feature. My mistake.
CDDB: all of the CD's I play have artist tags on them, even compilation CD's I've made. I just don't have that issue about CDDB updates.
When I posted that DIY about the hard drive nav update, I specifically mentioned that the poster should contact Technic for the upgrade info. I have CCC , therefore, it doesn't behoove me to go in detail about the process. As I stated, I was giving the poster an option that could possibly save the labor cost of a dealer install. There are a few posts around of a DIY hard drive nav update.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Just bought a 2011 Nav discs for my 2008 550i LCI and not too too impressed with it. You have to do a search from your current location as if you're looking for a bank or POI and then select either police trap or red light/speed cams. You can't choose both to be on at once. I usually just use the police traps b/c that's more important in Houston. Our red light cams are all removed from the city. Thank goodness! It's just as slow but does show more improvements in streets. And I noticed the list of traffic to be longer too...guess b/c there are more streets to be reported now. The old 2007 disc would report freeway congestion like 59N and 610s...but the new 2011 discs reports it as 59 northbound and under the details it'll list between where and where. I prefer the quick report of the 2007 disc more. The police traps are pre-populated based on some popular encounters and most of the time not correct. You just gotta use your own judgment based on your experience and a little bit of help from the navi disc.