Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B-mer View Post
I have a backup copy of a 2011 nav disc that I use which contains both traffic cameras, & speed traps. Seems pretty accurate. I looked for my card & you were right about it not mentioning either feature. My mistake.
No problem. I’ll trust that this “backup” you have is from a clean OEM BMW/Tele Atlas disc. I just find it funny how even the online materials from BMW and Tele Atlas don’t mention these features, but other third parties like to list and even highlight them, as they have for years now. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
CDDB: all of the CD's I play have artist tags on them, even compilation CD's I've made. I just don't have that issue about CDDB updates.
Many record label production audio CDs don’t have CD-Text on them. If you copy or “backup” your audio CDs and play those copies, or compilations as the case may be, it’s quite possible your burning software added the CD-Text info to the audio CD (after the software did a CDDB, FreeDB, or some other lookup of course). So again, it all goes back to you, or rather your computer, adding the data to the media. So of course, it won’t affect you. CDDB in the vehicle is not aimed at people who have their media prepopulated/tagged. It’s aimed at people who insert a production CD without CD-Text or in some cases a non-tagged media file (Gracenote’s MusicID Digital File Identification does this, but I don’t think CDDB alone does). I’m not trying to say you should care about CDDB in your vehicle, just that at times you use examples that suggest you’ve already added the information using some other system that did in fact use CDDB or some such database. For me, I'd like the database in the vehicle to be as current as those my computers and media devices have access to. I feel like BMW is stuck in some static local database mentality, and worse, doesn't facilitate periodic updating of said local database even though the manual speaks to such a process.

If anyone knows how to obtain the proper file and the proper placement of it onto a CD or other media (flash drive, etc) for updating the in vehicle CDDB, please let me/us know.

Quote:
When I posted that DIY about the hard drive nav update, I specifically mentioned that the poster should contact Technic for the upgrade info. I have CCC , therefore, it doesn't behoove me to go in detail about the process. As I stated, I was giving the poster an option that could possibly save the labor cost of a dealer install. There are a few posts around of a DIY hard drive nav update.
OK. I think Dorfman was looking for a BMW sanctioned way (read, as official as the old CCC method of buying a new nav DVD is) of upgrading the CIC nav maps in a Do It Yourself fashion. Regardless, I know I asked for an officially sanctioned method of obtaining the CIC nav update DVD [set] and activation code. It shouldn’t require private messages in such case. Speaking of which, I didn’t see anything of the sort where you “specifically mentioned that the poster should contact Technic for the upgrade info”. I wanted to make sure Dorfman wasn’t getting the impression that your response somehow was saying one can reliably cold contact a dealer/parts counter to obtain the necessary materials for a DIY update of the CIC nav maps. Your most recent response supports my premise that this is not the case.

If anyone knows how to reliably, and legally, obtain FSC Activation Codes for the CIC nav maps updates, preferably online but via mail or in person will do, please let me/us know. It should be as simple as typing in your VIN, a payment method, and getting an activation code back. Receiving the DVD set via online download (for folks who have sufficient internet access), via mail, or in person seems like a logical compliment.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingluxury View Post
Just bought a 2011 Nav discs for my 2008 550i LCI and not too too impressed with it.
Thanks racingluxury. Did you buy the discs from BMW / Tele Atlas (http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/, from a BMW parts counter, etc) or from another vendor?

Last edited by forum1; 04-25-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
Thanks racingluxury. Did you buy the discs from BMW / Tele Atlas (http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/, from a BMW parts counter, etc) or from another vendor?
I bought it from ebay. It seems to be very accurate as far as guidance wise and working well so far. I notice that the dvd drive spins more often. Maybe it has more info to display? Either way as far as the OEM or copied version it's meant to do the same thing and it seems from this forum that the copied version has more information to display...which isn't bad if you find that info useful. I don't know how long it'll stay working or not b/c I just got it a week now.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfman View Post
I have a 2010 535i but I think I have 2009 maps based on the build date. I am trying to determine the following before I purchase 2011 disks:

1. Do NAV upgrades for the 2010 E60's need to be installed by the dealer?
2. If the answer to #1 above is NO, will the DVD player recognize these disks and self-load?
3. Will the traffic cameras and speed trap options be visible on the NAV screen?

Anyone offering advise with experience would be appreciated.
1) I answered this question with the link to Technic's post. While most have done it through the dealer, there are some who have installed it themselves. I'm not debating the legality of it, just answering the inquiry of does it NEED to be dealer installed.
2) that was also answered, as was

3) similarly answered. I'm sure you, & others have sense enough to contact Technic directly for the specific answers you seek, instead of questioning my integrity about the legality of such a task. If legality of this is what you are seeking, then I'm confident he should be able to answer that burning question. Parsing every post I make in this thread won't accomplish that. IF you are just trying to correct or discredit my posts, based on my inaccuracy, or your assumption of my condoning piracy, then you should start another thread. A majority of threads on here are DIY. I have neither the time, or desire to question the motive of every thread I read. I happened to have had a bit of knowledge about this original post, so I offered my 2cents. Just like you. It's a forum (1). You responded, & that's cool to correct me, but to parse every adjective, & verb is not. Some folks like to correct ppl. I don't want to assume that you do. I get the point. The original post was/is about 2011 nav discs, not debating legalities of software usage or intellectual property.
Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
1) I answered this question with the link to Technic's post. While most have done it through the dealer, there are some who have installed it themselves. I'm not debating the legality of it, just answering the inquiry of does it NEED to be dealer installed.
2) that was also answered, as was

3) similarly answered. I'm sure you, & others have sense enough to contact Technic directly for the specific answers you seek, instead of questioning my integrity about the legality of such a task. If legality of this is what you are seeking, then I'm confident he should be able to answer that burning question. Parsing every post I make in this thread won't accomplish that. IF you are just trying to correct or discredit my posts, based on my inaccuracy, or your assumption of my condoning piracy, then you should start another thread. A majority of threads on here are DIY. I have neither the time, or desire to question the motive of every thread I read. I happened to have had a bit of knowledge about this original post, so I offered my 2cents. Just like you. It's a forum (1). You responded, & that's cool to correct me, but to parse every adjective, & verb is not. Some folks like to correct ppl. I don't want to assume that you do. I get the point. The original post was/is about 2011 nav discs, not debating legalities of software usage or intellectual property.
Mikey B-mer, when you said you “specifically mentioned that the poster should contact Technic for the upgrade info” I thought to myself “Oh. Hrm… did I miss that?” So naturally I went back and re-read your posts. When I still did not see such a statement I said so. Sorry if you feel this is combative behavior.

I also hope my comments about DIY and legality are not being confused. Of course, just because something is DIY or has a user install software procedure doesn’t make it illegal. I am all for DIY and user installed software procedures whenever possible. The problem is more about access to the necessary materials, which seem to be intentionally limited by BMW.

As for rather one needs a dealer to update the CIC nav maps, your assertion that it’s possible without a dealer is akin to saying it’s possible to do just about anything on a vehicle without a dealer. You just need the right tools, procedures, and sometimes proprietary computer systems access (to generate activation codes, program modules, etc). Unfortunately, a lot of times access to these things is intentionally restricted by the manufacturer. If Dorfman was asking if it is technically possible in the broad sense, well I guess saying yes is true. But I know I refined the request/response, saying that the activation codes seem to be difficult if not impossible for a customer to obtain. I made these qualifying statements not to discredit you but so that Dorfman and others reading this would understand that in practice the activation code can be a sticking point for a customer. This code comes out of a proprietary BMW system with restricted access. Presently BMW appears to instruct those with access to not provide the output activation code to the end-customer for user install.

With a CCC equipped vehicle, map updates are as easy as a customer going to the BMW Tele Atlas site at http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/ and ordering the DVD set. However, if you select a vehicle model that has the CIC, it tells you that “Currently the map update for your vehicle has to be performed at your Local BMW Center.

Now, I understand that just because one official site says so, it does not necessarily mean BMW will not provide the DVDs and generate an activation code for customers that request them. Unfortunately, all the people I know who have requested a user install of the map updates have been told they need a service appointment. Of these people, some have explicitly pointed to the DVD set and FSC activation code entry via the iDrive, requested the materials, and been denied. This is why I referred to a “gray market” for FSC activation codes: It may not be illegal, but it’s not clear it’s sanctioned by BMW either. As a reminder, my entire premise was a process sanctioned by BMW, making the necessary materials as accessible to customers as they are with the older CCC. I was hoping someone else would reply with information about how a customer can readily obtain CIC nav map activation codes, without having to hunt around for a dealer that may circumvent apparent BMW policy.

Finally, so far I have not seen clarity in this thread as to the 2011 BMW/Tele Atlas OEM discs for the CCC having the speed trap/camera POIs. Everyone who has said it does seems to have a “backup copy” or something less than a solid statement that the disc is the OEM media, unaltered, from BMW/Tele Atlas. It would be nice to hear from someone who has the actual 2011 OEM map discs from BMW / Tele Atlas.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528 i
How is the HDD version updated?
I'm very disappointed in the coverage in S.Cali. We were searching for street number on a road in old part of the S.V Valley and the only street numbers offered were for a section of the same street in an area about 5 miles away.This was not the 1st time this has happened in areas that have probaly been around for 50 years or more.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandNs new 528 View Post
How is the HDD version updated?
The two methods I am aware of are:
1. Update using BMW Programming system: In this case the software is loaded and the activation code entered in to the car via the diagnostic interface, using the dealer's programming station.
2. Update using DVD set: In this case the software is loaded into the car via DVD(s) and the activation code entered using the iDrive speller interface.

There are other posts on this board with more details, but that's the gist.

Method 2 would be the most approachable method for an end-user, assuming you can obtain the DVD media and an activation code. The code is tied to your VIN and is generated out of BMW's computers.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Understood. I get your gist, but again, let's give folks all of their options.
This is my last post on the subject of DIY CIC hard drive map install. As I said before, my reason for posting this link to a DIY of a nav software install was to show Dorfman & others who had questioned if it was possible to do such an install that it is very much so. After looking at the post, I have to say it was pretty straightforward, & I just can't see how there is any cloudiness on this method. Whether or not he pursues this method is totally up to him. There is nothing wrong with PMing another member to get info. I think you are making this WAY too complicated. There is no way for me to measure the capabilities of an individual who may inquire about a method, info, or procedure to install modifications to a vehicle. Most on this e60 forum have already purchased, or are purchasing their cars. I am not saying that anyone can perform all of the dealer functions. But there are ECM flashes, OBD II code readers, NCS expert recoding, CIC retrofits, LCI Tail light replacements, DVD & rear view camera mods, that are being performed daily by members on here. I don't believe many of these software mods are BMW sanctioned. I'm not in a position to tell the direction of anyone's moral compass. I've done some mods to my car, that is still under warranty, that could conceivably void my agreement, but the convenience for me far outweighs the risk. I consider your input of some to use to me. I'd also like to see changes to some BMW policies regarding software updating, & DIY methods for that. But honestly
, I don't believe that will happen. I don't like giving someone a lot of money to do something that is possible to do myself after I consider the time, effort, & my ability to do it. Aldo, if somebody comes up with something that can make all the money I spent on this car worthwhile as far as making my driving experience more enjoyable, e.g. Traffic cams, I'll weigh the consequences myself. I believe we can agree to disagree.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Beat ARMY!

Send a message via Skype™ to GorbaJB
Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi Deep Green Met
Talking

The big difference is the 2011 Nav update comes on TWO DVD's instead of one. The break is roughly along the Mississippi River with some overlap. I think there is a LOT more data included as a result. Just used it to and from MD-AZ and was very satisfied.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 05' 530i
I have an 05 530i....

From what I have read, the red light cameras and speed traps are for CUSTOM disks.. That is, someone who has taken the legit disks, and modified them, adding features.. As asked above, why the actual DVD companies didn't advertise such features.. It is because they were not released with the legit, factory DVD's in america. Other country's are included with these features... US opted out.... But someone "opted" in the USA themselves...

As for the 2011 coverage.. I have had no issues.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to bryant
Mein Auto: 545i
Jon or anyone - Which one would you recommend for my '05? Is my car new enough to use a 2010 / 2011 disc?

BMW 545i sport (active steering, sport suspension, dynamic drive) moonroof, adaptive headlights, CD changer, cold weather package, Logic 7 sound, Navigation, Park distance control, homelink, voice input system, hard wired V1
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM

dvd navi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Jon or anyone - Which one would you recommend for my '05? Is my car new enough to use a 2010 / 2011 disc?
Does your car uses the dash loaded dvd for the navigation disc? If so then you could get the BMW Professiona 2011 (CCC) PRO Navigation DVD. If not it's the other kind which I'm not sure of right at this moment.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
According to http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/ the “BMW 5 Series 2004 – 2009” takes the “North American Map DVD Professional - 2 Disc Set 2011 Version” which as racingluxury noted is the CCC media.

Prior to CCC, the "North American Map DVD High - 2 Disc Set 2011 Version" is available for 2003 5ers, and for 2002 and older, the "North American Map 10-CD Set 2011 Version" is available.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum1 View Post
According to http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com/ the “BMW 5 Series 2004 – 2009” takes the “North American Map DVD Professional - 2 Disc Set 2011 Version” which as racingluxury noted is the CCC media.

Prior to CCC, the "North American Map DVD High - 2 Disc Set 2011 Version" is available for 2003 5ers, and for 2002 and older, the "North American Map 10-CD Set 2011 Version" is available.
Good finding forum1! I think this would help him a lot. Btw...even on the 2011 nav dvd I was looking up an address to go to this one car wash place near my new job and it wasn't even listed. Just gotta use a lot of common sense with these maps. It's a good thing we could zoom in and out to see the street names. On the HD based navigation I think they could zoom in 200ft. Our's is only 400 ft.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TMack
Mein Auto: '08 535xi (Platinum Gray)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorbaJB View Post
The big difference is the 2011 Nav update comes on TWO DVD's instead of one. The break is roughly along the Mississippi River with some overlap. I think there is a LOT more data included as a result. Just used it to and from MD-AZ and was very satisfied.
OK, I just got the 2011 discs to replace my 2008.1 disc. But here's my concern. I live in metro Kansas City, which sits right on the border of Kansas and Missouri. This is exactly where the two discs separate the geography. Does this mean that every time I cross the state line (which is at least twice a day) I have to switch discs?

Please say no.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bryant
Mein Auto: 545i
Yes, loads up front, in dash. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingluxury View Post
Does your car uses the dash loaded dvd for the navigation disc? If so then you could get the BMW Professiona 2011 (CCC) PRO Navigation DVD. If not it's the other kind which I'm not sure of right at this moment.

BMW 545i sport (active steering, sport suspension, dynamic drive) moonroof, adaptive headlights, CD changer, cold weather package, Logic 7 sound, Navigation, Park distance control, homelink, voice input system, hard wired V1
Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM

cool

Quote:
Yes, loads up front, in dash. Thanks.
Then you could get the CCC discs. I got both just for the heck of having everything. Never know if I'll move anytime soon or not.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
This site does not work anymore

http://www.bmwnavigationmaps.com/

Whats the verdict on this ebay product

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item3a63fbbc34
Old 05-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidon View Post
This site does not work anymore

http://www.bmwnavigationmaps.com/

Whats the verdict on this ebay product

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item3a63fbbc34
That's exactly what I bought. Both discs works well but I notice the DVD spooling up more often. Maybe it's gathering more info then before??? Not sure...
Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Just stepping in on this thread, and I'm interested in the ebay product.

I've got a 2007 (pre-LCI) 5 series -- I live in California, and my current disc is from 2007. What do I gain by updating to the 2011 2-disc set?

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM

somewhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Just stepping in on this thread, and I'm interested in the ebay product.

I've got a 2007 (pre-LCI) 5 series -- I live in California, and my current disc is from 2007. What do I gain by updating to the 2011 2-disc set?
You'll get updates on new streets...but even some still doesn't show up yet. Speed camera/red light cams, popular police spots, and updated traffic info information. Not much of a tremendous gain but just nice to be in 2011 instead of 2007.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
what kind of updated traffic info are you referring to?

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 PM

listing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
what kind of updated traffic info are you referring to?
The way it's listed is a little different from the 2007 disc. On the 2011 disc you'll see it post like north bound or south bound stuff. There are LOTSSS of more traffic information...or maybe it was just a bad day in houston that morning when my list was hella long!!! I don't remember for sure on the 2007 disc but on the 2011 it even lists slows b/c of road constructions or closings. And your map got like this red color on the road...i'm not sure what it means exactly yet but at first I thought it was indicating a slow in traffic condition but surely it's not. When it's red I'm still flying down the freeway. lol... The police speed traps are pretty cool b/c I've seen cops nearby that area a few times.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
2007 530xi- Nav Disc Issue

I recently bought an 07 530xi and it had the upgraded 2011 NAV discs. I bought the car in Iowa and the eastern DVD disc worked fine. I drove it back to Dallas and when I try to use the western DVD disc, I get the error saying "Please insert DVD" when the DVD is already inserted. It is does look like the DVD could have some scratches on it. My bigger concern though is when I call BMW, they say that it is a fluke thing where some BMWs accept the eastern DVD but not the western and you have to replace the head unit. Has anyone else had this issue/offer any suggestions? I just find it hard to believe that the eastern DVD does work but the western does not. As I'm out warranty, I'm trying to find a fix other than having BMW replace the head unit.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 AM

bad disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoble21 View Post
I recently bought an 07 530xi and it had the upgraded 2011 NAV discs. I bought the car in Iowa and the eastern DVD disc worked fine. I drove it back to Dallas and when I try to use the western DVD disc, I get the error saying "Please insert DVD" when the DVD is already inserted. It is does look like the DVD could have some scratches on it. My bigger concern though is when I call BMW, they say that it is a fluke thing where some BMWs accept the eastern DVD but not the western and you have to replace the head unit. Has anyone else had this issue/offer any suggestions? I just find it hard to believe that the eastern DVD does work but the western does not. As I'm out warranty, I'm trying to find a fix other than having BMW replace the head unit.
Maybe you just got a bad copy. I tried both of my dvd and it works fine. Just to check...did you insert it and turn off the car for at least 5 mins then turn it back on?