Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
MID bracket removal

Hi everyone. I am trying to change the bracket that holds the mid and business cd, with the wood grain flap. Our door is broken so I have a new one. I got the mid and the cd out ok but there are screws behind the dash molding on either side as well. I have searched and searched and cannot find how to get this off yet.

Has anyone done this? Also it looks like a small coax plugs into the cd. Is that the antennae?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Try this link. It shows how to remove the screws that hold that bracket. You have to scroll down. Also, it would be a good idea if you have trim removing tools - you will need to take off the wood grain, and you don't want to scratch it.

GL
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSinSC View Post
I have searched and searched and cannot find how to get this off
I did a control-f F3 search in the bestlinks thread in my browser for "trim" and came up with the following DIYs where all the interior trim was replaced with an explanation of how to do it:
- WOOD TRIM CRACKS SPONTANEOUSLY: wood trim whose varnish cracks and whose cd cover doors rattle (1) (2)
- PLASTIC VENT TRIM CRACKS SPONTANEOUSLY: plastic trim around the air vents which invariably crack at the corners (1) (2) (3)

As for the antenna connections, these may help:
- MID PIXELS SLOWLY DIE: press-fit pink connection tape lifts up over time on MID causing dead pixels (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) [MID removal instructions (1) (2) (3) (4)]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02985-1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	254356   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02989.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	254357   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02990-1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	254358   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02994.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	254359   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03008.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	254360  

Name:	DSC03023.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	254361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03024.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	254362   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03025.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	254363   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03026.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	254364   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03027.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	254365  

Name:	DSC03028.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	254366  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-12-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Donna, he asked about that braket that holds the CD player/MID.
We have nothing for that, that's why I provided that linky. Your support is very helpful of course.

Cheers
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru
Hi Doru,

Wow. That link you posted interspersed a couple of my pictures with the poster's own pictures.

For example, the very first and second pictures were taken from the MID-removal thread here.You can see the trim and interior colors are different in his pictures versus mine (although he added the picture on the left and the green annotations for some strange reason).

So, it's flattering to know that some of my pictures made it into that otherwise-unknown-to-me trim-removal DIY (which I duly added to the bestlinks thread for others to benefit, as always).

Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
he asked about that bracket that holds the CD player/MID
Our posts both crossed twice as we were posting at the same time so I didn't see this until now.

I thought he was replacing the trim itself. Despite the title, I didn't realize it's only the metal/plastic? bracket that he's trying to replace. I thought it was the trim on the metal/plastic? bracket that he was trying to replace.

Still, some good came out of it 'cuz I cleaned up the links in the bestlinks thread and added your link so it will help the next person. And, if he needs pics, in the threads I posted are pics of what it looks like with all the trim removed (so the brackets should stand out nicely).

Dunno if this particular mid-bracket question is asked often enough to be in the bestlinks; probably not; so I'll just leave the bestlinks threads with the interior-trim removal & MID-removal instructions listed.

Last edited by bluebee; 11-12-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
The wood grain panel on our CD player was cracked. It was like that when we bought the car. I got another from a salvage yard. I took lots of pictures and may write up a how to on it in a bit. It was much more involved than what I had thought because getting those clamps off the wood grain panel is hard to do without ruining it. So I opted to change the whole bracket, panel and all. I ended up with most of the dash out of the car and the glove box before I could remove the radio bracket itself. :o)

Thanks for the links everyone!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 AM

That braket thingy is to install the Hualigan unit - that is how I know about that post. The only benefit of it is maybe if one might need to work behind the dash - there are a few things maybe that could be accesed once that braket is removed (you can literlly stick your hand in there. The blower unit (big fan for the cabin) is in there somwhere too.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
That braket thingy is to install the Hualigan unit
Now that I've seen your wonderfully precise pictorial DIY, I'm going to have to look up what a Hualigan is!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 PM

For the record, this was posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Removing the Center AC Air Vent on my E39
Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Since this is a reference thread for trim removal, this thread today has useful MID information ...
E39 (1997 - 2003) > Install in-dash CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Dennis...the e39s imported to the USA all came with either the MID or Nav set-up. And the MID was either a low MID or high MID...depending on which instrument cluster the car had.

In Europe, you all had another option...the IRIS systems....perhaps you are thinking of those units.

The MID is a single component that has an upper & lower display section...and comes with either the in-dash cassette installed above it...and later (approx 2000/01) the single in-dash CD was available. And as others stated, the first ones had a connector with round pins (the CD43)...and the later flat pin connector was the CD53.

My 99 540iT came with the high MID & in-dash cass...and I was lucky to find a a used (round pin) CD43 that was plug n play for my application.

From in-dash cassette/radio & MID..to in-dash CD/radio & MID:

Europe had the option of the IRIS (intergrated radio information system)...the display only has a single line of info that appears...it can be a one piece or multi-piece system depending on which IRIS radio you have:

BMW Reverse RDS Radio (one piece)

BMW Business Radio (one-piece)

IRIS (integrated radio information system)

IRIS with in-dash Business RDS radio/cass player