Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3
1997 Z3 - 1.9L - SRS Fault - occupat'n sensor

My SRS light has been on for some time now. I took it to a local BMW mechanic and he indicated the fault code was for the passenger seat occupation sensor (child occupation sensor). He indicated the part was around $380 not including labor, which he was unsure of. He indicated he would have to take the seat apart, leather and all, and get in the "foam" to replace the part. He indicated this could be 5 or so hours of labor. Does that sound right? Is this a DIY'r? Any help is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 1.9L DASC Auto
It's about $250 discounted. Seat has to come apart. Labor intensive. Do a continuity check on the seat mat before you go any further. No sense in replacing it if it's just a bad connector. The ohm reading will change with the amount of weight on the seat.

Last edited by Monolith; 11-12-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
It's about $250 discounted. Seat has to come apart. Labor intensive. Do a continuity check on the seat mat before you go any further. No sense in replacing it if it's just a bad connector. The ohm reading will change with the amount of weight on the seat.
Thanks. Sorry for the ineptitude, but could you please "explain" how I would do the "check" you indicated? Thanks so much.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Road Rager

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 SI
What I believe he is suggesting to do is: Get yourself a Digital Multimeter with a pair of leads.

Find the harness under the seat going to the sensor.

Disconnect the harness, place your leads on the wires going up to the sensor.

Place DMM on Ohms, look for an open. Not sure what your typical resistance will be for this sensor, but an open will just show no value or a flashing.

Also check the pins on that same connector to make sure they are firm seated.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
What I believe he is suggesting to do is: Get yourself a Digital Multimeter with a pair of leads.

Find the harness under the seat going to the sensor.

Disconnect the harness, place your leads on the wires going up to the sensor.

Place DMM on Ohms, look for an open. Not sure what your typical resistance will be for this sensor, but an open will just show no value or a flashing.

Also check the pins on that same connector to make sure they are firm seated.
Roger that. I will look for the harness and do the test. I will probably have to take the seat out to even get to the harness, right? Thanks so much.