Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 323ci
Low dust brake pads for E46 323...

Hey guys, I know this is a common topic as I've searched the forums and have come up with multiple finds on brake pads that don't give off much brake dust.

On our e46 323ci, the front 17" M rims are always covered in brake dust. The rims will stay clean for about a week's time then they are packed with brake dust. I've read on the internet that some people strongly recommend the Axis Deluxe brake pads and they don't give off much dust.

Our main priority is the brake dust as it's a PITA to clean the double-spoked rims. Front rotors will be replaced also with the new pads.

What do you guys recommend for low-brake dust pads? By purchasing low-brake dust pads, will the pads work the same in both light and harder driving?

What do you guys recommend from first hand experience?
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330cic
i have 18" m rims on my 330cic i couldn't keep them clean, i bought the car used, i changed them to pbr/ axxis deluxe with zimmerman coated rims and i'm very happy with them.the old pads had 1/2" pads left, good luck
Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, '99 e36 328is
Bavauto has a sale on a brake kit that includes OEM rotors, Pagid red pads, front and rear sensor wires and a can of anti squeal paste for @ $305. It's what I've been running on my car. I've been satisfied the with performance and while the brake dust is greatly reduced, It's not entirely eliminated.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 AM
The Dude abides.

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
You know, once you recognize that you're going to change out your rotors when you change out your pads, the benefit of going to a full-on ceramic pad really disappears. Yes you get low brake dust, but the accurate claim that ceramics are extremely gentile on rotors - because ceramic is so comparatively soft - doesn't seem to be all that much of a benefit. Given this observation, I opted for a semi-metalic pad. Went with the Axxis Metal Master pad and have been very pleased with them. You still get a degree of delay in braking torque under initial hard braking application - as the pad comes up to temperature - but there's enough metal in the pad to keep you out of the rear end of the motorist in front of you when pad temps are low.

Stay out of other motorist's rear ends - that's a maxim you can live by.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 AM

well after doing some research, I've come across the following:

PBR Axxis Metal Master
or
PBR Axxis Deluxe Plus

Now I've called my local shop and they can't get PBR or Axxis brake pads but they can get EBC or Hawk Pads. Any suggestions on low dust EBC or Hawk pads?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
You can't go through HAWK!

Hawk Performance introduces a unique ceramic composite formulation specifically developed to meet the ultra-low dust and low noise attributes of Original Equipment ceramic brake pads while maintaining the high friction levels professional brake tuners have grown to expect from Hawk.

Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads do not compromise performance and offer a solution to many consumers' number one complaint: DUST! Performance Ceramic Brake Pads also feature a fade resistant linear friction profile that allows your ABS brake system to work more effectively.

* Ultra-low dust
* Improved braking over OE
* Stable friction output
* Extremely quiet
* Extended pad life
* Increased rotor life

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM
No User Serviceable Parts

Mein Auto: '04 545i, Schaltgetriebe
As Bilstein said, I'd much rather have brakes that stop than ones that keep my wheels looking good. Seems like every make of German car has this problem too.

Do you have the M68 series wheels (the ones on the car in my sig)? I found this nifty little brush that fits inside that opening, and cleans out the crud in no time.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
The Dude abides.

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuningJoe View Post
You can't go through HAWK!

Hawk Performance introduces a unique ceramic composite formulation specifically developed to meet the ultra-low dust and low noise attributes of Original Equipment ceramic brake pads while maintaining the high friction levels professional brake tuners have grown to expect from Hawk.

Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads do not compromise performance and offer a solution to many consumers' number one complaint: DUST! Performance Ceramic Brake Pads also feature a fade resistant linear friction profile that allows your ABS brake system to work more effectively.

* Ultra-low dust
* Improved braking over OE
* Stable friction output
* Extremely quiet
* Extended pad life
* Increased rotor life

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Joe, what do you carry in the form of semi metallic brake pads?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Low dust pads are for people who are too lazy to wash their wheels. When I hit the brakes I want my car to STOP lest I have the best looking wheels at the junkyard. Get me?

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Low dust pads are for people who are too lazy to wash their wheels. When I hit the brakes I want my car to STOP lest I have the best looking wheels at the junkyard. Get me?
haha
I get all of you guys, trust me I do know what you are saying. I've spent enough years with dusty brakes. I find the 323ci to be more of a classy little coupe so I try to make it look good and clean as much as possible.

But it would be a different situation if this was 100% my car. Low-weight wheels and a nice big brake kit. Since it's not 100% mine...I have to compromise lol
Old 11-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
I have Akebono Euro Ceramics, very low dust, no squeal, less initial bite, but stopping power is fine.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 04' BMW 330ci (vert)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I'm totally with ya. I got Axis Ultimates with Zimmerman rotors and I don't like them pads as much as OEM. There's a few secs delay in bite. Next time it's OEM all the way....hell with dust.