Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i
F10: Buy or Lease?

Having just learned that my new F10 is on a truck headed for the dealer, I'm suddenly torn between buying and leasing.

I'm returning my '08 E60 at lease end. It has been a blast to drive but has had (and continues to have) multiple niggling problems. I've had some fuel injection problems but have avoided the dreaded HPFP disasters.

I had planned to lease again, but the 0.9% for 3 years is mighty enticing. I can afford the astronomical payments, fortunately.

But... this is the first year of a new model from a manufacturer who is having reliability problems, and I've come to BMW from a long string of Japanese cars.

For those of you who belong to BMWCCA (and if you don't, you should-- among other things, I'll be getting $1000 back from BMW as a result), check out Mike Miller's Tech Talk in this month's Roundel. He certainly doesn't recommend buying in the early years of a BMW model!

Concerning the HPFP issues, it seems to me that they popped up really quickly, so the new 535i engine is less of problem; I've not seen much in the way of catastrophic failures reported in this board so far in the 6 months or so the F10 has been on the road.

If I'm going to buy, I intend to hold on to the car for, say 8 years and 120k miles. I would do far more maintenance than BMW provides for free (I'll follow Miller's "old school maintenance schedule")

So... soliciting you comments: buy or lease?

2011 535i imperial blue/beige/sp, premium 1 and 2, ventilated seats, top view camera
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
I have asked that question myself lately. There are complex answers and simple answers.

My simple view is that leasing is kind of like insurance - you are paying for certainly (residual value) and an agreed to cost of vehicle expense for a defined number of miles per year (over 12,000 can get costly). Buying is still an expense but you bear the risk of the trade in or scrap value. If the risk is one you can stand, be the "house" and self insure. Insure for major unexpected expenses like major damage of total loss of the car.

Buying is much more flexible. You can drive how many miles you want, put what kind of tires you want on the car, etc.

Tax considerations are complex but probably boil down to are you W-2 or self Employed?

I have been fortunate enough to have paid cash since the personal interest tax deduction went away years ago. Simple, totally flexible, no payment, can I afford this new car? ..... just see what I can sell / trade the old one for and do I have the cash available.

I'm the "house" not paying the finance company. It's my options strategy if you trade stocks / options, sell covered calls and out of the money naked puts on a stock you would be happy to own. Don't buy naked puts or calls ....... be the "house" the "house" always wins in Vegas or insurance.

I'm interested in others views too as the leasing question is always there. Maybe if BMW has an inflated opinion of what their F10 will be worth in 3 years I should take advantage of it!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
As a business owner, I always lease. I change my car every 3 years and chalk the lease payment to an operating expense. There is a tax benefit to leasing as I can write off a greater percentage of the payment.

True, I never own the car and im always making payments. I would have to own the same car for along time for it to balance out.

If I was a cash buyer, I would never buy new and take the initial hit on depreciation. I would find a 6 month to 1 year old car and do it that way.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM

I could pay cash, but at 0.9% interest, it's easier to use BMWFS money than mine.

I'm not a business owner, so I can't depreciate.

Having a new car every 3 years is appealing, but one always wonders if the next one you get will be unsatisfying. I had that happen once with a Lexus.

2011 535i imperial blue/beige/sp, premium 1 and 2, ventilated seats, top view camera
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
The way I look at leasing is that "transportation" is just another service that you purchase, like your phone bill. Also, leasing makes it easier for me to budget the expense, as there are no unexpected repairs which are expensive as we all know. Plus, I am always driving a new or fairly new car.

Purchasing has it's advantages too, so the decision to buy or lease is an individual one. What I value and works for me may not work for others.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
In the past BMW has subsidized leases slightly through high residuals. (A year or so ago they took a big write down for this.). The subsidy makes the lease seem less like insurance and more like an incentive. Another factor to consider is the lease set-up fee ($725) and termination fee($350). The termination fee goes away if you buy the car or buy or lease a new BMW.Another risk of leasing is damage or excess wear. BMW is very straightforward and clear on what they will accept. Lastly: if you are doing mods that can't easily be undone, don't lease.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
In the past BMW has subsidized leases slightly through high residuals. (A year or so ago they took a big write down for this.). The subsidy makes the lease seem less like insurance and more like an incentive. Another factor to consider is the lease set-up fee ($725) and termination fee($350). The termination fee goes away if you buy the car or buy or lease a new BMW.Another risk of leasing is damage or excess wear. BMW is very straightforward and clear on what they will accept. Lastly: if you are doing mods that can't easily be undone, don't lease.
I cover myself with insurance for excess wear or damage. Granted, the insurance and the set-up fee increase the cost. Lastly, I don't do mods so that works for me.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
If you do Euro Delivery and lease the payments are relatively low. The euro Delivery savings is realized in the 3 year lease payments.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001

If I'm going to buy, I intend to hold on to the car for, say 8 years and 120k miles. I would do far more maintenance than BMW provides for free (I'll follow Miller's "old school maintenance schedule")

So... soliciting you comments: buy or lease?
IMO first ask yourself how long you want to have the car. Then figure out buy or lease. Not the other way around
Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
If you own your own business leasing is the only to do it.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
IMO leasing is a no-brainer when residuals are relatively high and the money factors are as low or lower than borrowing outright. In those situations, its probably worth the cost of the inception/termination fees to lease rather than purchase. A little more difficult to decide right now...residuals are pretty good, but the money factor on the leases is equivalent to 5% loan rate compared to .9% on a purchase. On a $60,000 car, the extra 4.1% in carrying costs embedded in a 36 month lease would amount to $5,000 or $6,000 plus lease fees. Unless you can write off your lease payments, I'm not sure lease residuals are high enough to offset the net additional lease costs. In 3 years you'll know the correct answer :-)

Last edited by Financeman; 11-14-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M-Sport
Financeman hit the nail on the head. There is not one correct answer to the lease vs buy question, strictly from a finance perspective. Even if you own your business it isnt clear cut. You have to be willing to do the math.

The things that make for a great lease are low money factor, high residual percentage, and a large spread between MSRP and actual purchase price. When you lease a car you are essentially financing the difference between your negotiated selling price (Cap cost) and the residual value. The smaller the spread, the better the lease. As Pharding has pointed out, Euro Delivery becomes a very attractive lease option because the residual value is calculated as a percentage of US MSRP even though you are negotiating the actual sales price on a small fixed amount over European invoice. Obviously, E.D. is also attractive when purchasing the vehicle for the straight-forward reason that you simply are paying less for the car.

When you lease a car you have to also factor in the lease inception fee ($725), and the potential cost of tires if you tires are worn and need to be replaced near the end of your lease. Another factor to consider is how closely you can count on landing on the exact mileage at turn in. If you are over, you pay a mileage penalty that is greater than the actual depreciation on the car, if you had owned it. If turn the car in with plenty of miles left, you actually ended up over paying for your lease. My 2008 E60 550 turned out to be a great lease: The residual for 2 yrs was an amazing 71% - and the money factor was quite low at the time. I did a Euro Delivery so, when combined with the high residual, the amount financed was astoundingly low. I used MSD's to further reduce MF. I was only 9 miles over of my milage allocation when I turned in the car. Since i was ordering a new BMW, I was able to extend the lease by 6 months at the same low monthly rate.

This time, when getting a new F10, I chose to purchase, because I did the math and it worked out better, even though I most likely will not keep the car for a long time. (I am already thinking M5).

I posted something similar to what I am writing below, buried deep in another thread so for convenience I repeat:

Here is my opinion on the lease vs buy decision given the current finance offers: If you are even remotely thinking that you may want to buy your car at the end of the lease, you really should look closely at the .9% 3 yr finance offer currently available, along with the current $1500 cash holiday promotion. For those with very good credit, they allow you to configure the loan so that you can have a balloon payment up to the residual value of the car due at the end of the loan. A loan of this sort feels conceptually quite a bit like a lease (but you have the risk of getting rid of the car at the end of the term, if you choose not to keep it, and the tax implications are different) but if you do a financial comparison, this program will be financially better than the current BMWFS lease offer in most cases. Each case is slightly different, so you really have to put the data in a spreadsheet an analyze it. When I did the math on my 2008, it strongly favored leasing. When I did the math this time it was the other way around. Of course if the F10 becomes a pig of a car in two or three years and they are selling for substantially below residual value, then it will not have turned out to be as good of a deal. The break even point is substantially below residual given the current programs offered. This is more true on the 550, and less true on the 535, due to the difference in residual %.

If you KNOW you are turning the car in at the end of the lease and dont want the responsibility of flipping the car, a lease may still the way to go, but if you are not quite sure this is a great alternative due to the flexibilty of the program and the very low interest rate, compared to the relatively disappointing money factors and residual values currently being offered in BMWFS leases. Do the math and take your chance.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:42 PM

I just did the math-- with the 535i numbers and 7 MSDs, the comparable interest rate is 4.224%. But... while the residuals aren't that great, I am not the sort to sell a car myself. I would trade it in even though I could do much better with a private sale.

I am pretty close to the correct mileage. I'll be no more than a couple of hundred miles over on the 12k/yr 3 yr lease.

All in all, I suspect I'll go for the lease.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535ix/E60 2008 535 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexx View Post
Financeman hit the nail on the head. There is not one correct answer to the lease vs buy question, strictly from a finance perspective. Even if you own your business it isnt clear cut. You have to be willing to do the math.

The things that make for a great lease are low money factor, high residual percentage, and a large spread between MSRP and actual purchase price. When you lease a car you are essentially financing the difference between your negotiated selling price (Cap cost) and the residual value. The smaller the spread, the better the lease. As Pharding has pointed out, Euro Delivery becomes a very attractive lease option because the residual value is calculated as a percentage of US MSRP even though you are negotiating the actual sales price on a small fixed amount over European invoice. Obviously, E.D. is also attractive when purchasing the vehicle for the straight-forward reason that you simply are paying less for the car.

When you lease a car you have to also factor in the lease inception fee ($725), and the potential cost of tires if you tires are worn and need to be replaced near the end of your lease. Another factor to consider is how closely you can count on landing on the exact mileage at turn in. If you are over, you pay a mileage penalty that is greater than the actual depreciation on the car, if you had owned it. If turn the car in with plenty of miles left, you actually ended up over paying for your lease. My 2008 E60 550 turned out to be a great lease: The residual for 2 yrs was an amazing 71% - and the money factor was quite low at the time. I did a Euro Delivery so, when combined with the high residual, the amount financed was astoundingly low. I used MSD's to further reduce MF. I was only 9 miles over of my milage allocation when I turned in the car. Since i was ordering a new BMW, I was able to extend the lease by 6 months at the same low monthly rate.

This time, when getting a new F10, I chose to purchase, because I did the math and it worked out better, even though I most likely will not keep the car for a long time. (I am already thinking M5).

I posted something similar to what I am writing below, buried deep in another thread so for convenience I repeat:

Here is my opinion on the lease vs buy decision given the current finance offers: If you are even remotely thinking that you may want to buy your car at the end of the lease, you really should look closely at the .9% 3 yr finance offer currently available, along with the current $1500 cash holiday promotion. For those with very good credit, they allow you to configure the loan so that you can have a balloon payment up to the residual value of the car due at the end of the loan. A loan of this sort feels conceptually quite a bit like a lease (but you have the risk of getting rid of the car at the end of the term, if you choose not to keep it, and the tax implications are different) but if you do a financial comparison, this program will be financially better than the current BMWFS lease offer in most cases. Each case is slightly different, so you really have to put the data in a spreadsheet an analyze it. When I did the math on my 2008, it strongly favored leasing. When I did the math this time it was the other way around. Of course if the F10 becomes a pig of a car in two or three years and they are selling for substantially below residual value, then it will not have turned out to be as good of a deal. The break even point is substantially below residual given the current programs offered. This is more true on the 550, and less true on the 535, due to the difference in residual %.

If you KNOW you are turning the car in at the end of the lease and dont want the responsibility of flipping the car, a lease may still the way to go, but if you are not quite sure this is a great alternative due to the flexibilty of the program and the very low interest rate, compared to the relatively disappointing money factors and residual values currently being offered in BMWFS leases. Do the math and take your chance.
It is no question that leasing gives business owners a tax advantage. I write of 80% of my lease payment as opposed to depreciation only. in year one, its probably a wash but in year two and three, leasing starts to look more attractive.

For me its simple, predictable fixed monthly cost, and a new car every 3 years. i focus my energy on my family and business. Maybe i'm loosing a few dollars somehow, but the convenience lack of stress in dealing with the car is worth it to me.

But its all subjective, so I agree, there is no right answer, it depends on one's individual circumstance.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
We looked long and hard at all options and decided to take the 0.9%. We plan to keep the car for 10 years or so and the financing proved much better than a cash deal.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I always buy cash. I have no stress whatsoever over how many miles I drive or freat over what the owner will think of normal or accidental wear and tear. I trade it whenever I want and I have no monthly expenses in terms of car payments. It has worked out fairly well cost wise as well. The trade-in value I got for my 2008 E60 535i made the monthly cost ~$650. That was after 3 years, if I had held on longer the cost would just keep going down. For me buying cash is a no-brainer. I also have an addition to my insurance that gives me a new car if it's totalled the first year. It costs an extra $5 a month. Though, as everyone says, it all depends on your individual situation.

Also, bad things happen. And if it happens to your or someone who depends on you a car you own is an asset that you either can continue to use for a low cost or sell to get money. A lease or a loan is a liability.

Last edited by solstice; 11-14-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax789 View Post
I always lease. I have my own company so I am able to claim it on expenses (even though I don't actually need it for that purpose )
My income comes from begging small change at major intersections. A lease better fits my cash flow profile.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax789 View Post
I always lease. I have my own company so I am able to claim it on expenses (even though I don't actually need it for that purpose )
I wonder if the IRS lurks these forums
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
My income comes from begging small change at major intersections. A lease better fits my cash flow profile.
Ha, I knew it! I always tells my wife whenever she gives you money: Honey, you are funding that guys bmw! Still, she just keeps giving.

Last edited by solstice; 11-15-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
With many dealers pricing the 535i at or a couple hundred bucks over invoice, together with a 0.9% interest rate and a $1,500 BMW rebate on top of it (especially the part about .9% interest versus 5-6% interest based on the money factor), it's a no-brainer to buy.

Also, when you consecutive successive leases, that's much more expensive than buying outright.

.9% interest is cheap money.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financeman View Post
IMO leasing is a no-brainer when residuals are relatively high and the money factors are as low or lower than borrowing outright. In those situations, its probably worth the cost of the inception/termination fees to lease rather than purchase. A little more difficult to decide right now...residuals are pretty good, but the money factor on the leases is equivalent to 5% loan rate compared to .9% on a purchase. On a $60,000 car, the extra 4.1% in carrying costs embedded in a 36 month lease would amount to $5,000 or $6,000 plus lease fees. Unless you can write off your lease payments, I'm not sure lease residuals are high enough to offset the net additional lease costs. In 3 years you'll know the correct answer :-)
Regarding residual values. What would you guys say is a low or high residual ($ amount) after the Lease is up, for say a $56K MSRP 5-Series?

About Leasing VS buying, I Leased for the first time, but my mentality has always been a "cash is king, payments are bad" type.... So I think I'll keep to buying after this Lease.... But who knows. As well, I feel like Leasing has "diminished" the prestige of Luxury Cars to an extent. It would be nice if people actually had to be able to *afford* a nice car, in order to get in it.... I.e, take precautions that wouldn't have gotten us in such a economic mess.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 11-18-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 528xi
I never keep a car more than 3 years and my annual mileage is pretty consistent. When I would buy the next new model 2.5 to 3 years later, I was always amazed how little the dealer would give me. It was worse with MB and BMW because I would always buy 15K of options which seem be worth a lot less at trade-in time. And if that isn't enough, my last purchase was in a bad accident. Hit by an uninsured unlicensed driver. The frame was bent. Yet because the car had such a high value, the insurance company chose to "fix" it. For me the end result car with visible frame repair and a value about 10K less than had it not been in an accident. The insurance industry calls this "diminished value loss" and they don't cover it. I'm still feeling burned by that loss and just can't buy again.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
I'll be choosing between a lease or outright purchase next year of a 2011 or 2012 535 and I'm also having a hard time choosing which option is the best choice at this point. I'll be going back to school probably the year after I pick this up so the lease payments may be annoying without a job as opposed to no worries having already bought outright. I doubt I'd keep the car more than a few years. I have an 04 3 series and I'm already tired of it having expired warranty and what I'm having to pay in repairs. Plus, I'm a tech freak and lust after the newest gadgets.. I don't think I can stick with the same car for too long.

Responding mostly to subscribe to this conversation.

Last edited by EvolutionTheory; 11-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 PM
dmoney

Mein Auto: 535i Sport,335is vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory View Post
I'll be choosing between a lease or outright purchase next year of a 2011 or 2012 535 and I'm also having a hard time choosing which option is the best choice at this point. I'll be going back to school probably the year after I pick this up so the lease payments may be annoying without a job as opposed to no worries having already bought outright. I doubt I'd keep the car more than a few years. I have an 04 3 series and I'm already tired of it having expired warranty and what I'm having to pay in repairs. Plus, I'm a tech freak and lust after the newest gadgets.. I don't think I can stick with the same car for too long.

Responding mostly to subscribe to this conversation.
going back to school? You should save your money and buy a Ford Fusion or Taurus instead.
And then various other BMWs over the years including M5, 540i, 530ix, 740i Sport
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemer View Post
going back to school? You should save your money and buy a Ford Fusion or Taurus instead.
Hah!
Yes, you make a valid point, but I'm not in the position to be a starving student even after leaving my current profession. I'll be covering school out of my own pocket without loans. The only reason I'm going back to school is because I've reached a glass ceiling in my industry. I'd like to move into a profession with the potential for a much higher return. Only catch is if I don't get into essentially an Ivy league I'll end up making less than I do now and all will be for not.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify I'm not a HS kid spending his parent's money on a new 5 Series. You know, because anonymous opinions on the internet are so important.

Last edited by EvolutionTheory; 11-18-2010 at 04:02 PM.