Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i
All I can say is "WOW"

I've had my F10 for about 10 days and yesterday had the first opportunity to take a long drive.

While it feels very different from my old E60, it seems to me just as agile and well mannered as its predecessor. Around turns it still seems to be on rails. Perhaps I'm just not pushing it hard enough, or perhaps the complaints about the steering and handling are overstating a minor difference.

In any event, for my purposes, the F10 is just fine, thank you.

2011 535i imperial blue/beige/sp, premium 1 and 2, ventilated seats, top view camera
Ads by Google
Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001 View Post
I've had my F10 for about 10 days and yesterday had the first opportunity to take a long drive.

While it feels very different from my old E60, it seems to me just as agile and well mannered as its predecessor. Around turns it still seems to be on rails. Perhaps I'm just not pushing it hard enough, or perhaps the complaints about the steering and handling are overstating a minor difference.

Congratulations, Steve! You are right, the F10 is different, as it has a different architecture, but it remains a fine car. The more you drive it and get used to it, the more you will discover the extraordinary capabilities of such a luxurious AND sporty car. Although it may feel large, it is tight and nimble, and will remain planted even on bumpy roads. Let us know about your impressions as you rack up the miles.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
um, i dunno

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
I agree with you guys, it's different from the E60, i actually find myself smiling as I'm driving down the road. I couldn't be happier in my new car!!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:

The WOW factor came back for me on the F10 as well ........ had become a little bored with my E60 but I can see this car being a keeper!

The one thing that amazes me the most is how well the 8 speed AT is mated to the sweet in-line 6cyl engine. As someone else said the car is solid and "quiet as a vault" til you gun the engine a bit and hear the "growl".

Congrats on your new ride!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:

Trust me, it just keeps getting better and better as you get used to the car and become more and more acquainted with all it can do. I find that the car loves to be pushed. Now that I'm beyond the break-in period, I have been "playing" more and more and I'm so impressed by what this car is capable of doing. It's been a joy to drive - especially in Sport mode with DHP, sports tranny and sports package.

I honestly can't comment on the steering issues raised by early F10 owners, as my car is an x-drive and has hydraulic (and not electric) steering. The car holds its "line" very well and steering is quite predictable. All in all, I find the steering feel to be very good. I love the car.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 550i SP, 335i c, MB AMG
to the op: do you have sports package or dhp, etc.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
to the op: do you have sports package or dhp, etc.
Yes, I've got both...

2011 535i imperial blue/beige/sp, premium 1 and 2, ventilated seats, top view camera
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I think some of you have misunderstood criticism that owners like me have raised with the F10. It is indeed a competent and fast car. It corners rather well and is a very efficient cross country machine. Lack of performance has never been my complaint but to me the car is too filtered and clinical. I want more involvement and have the feel that the car is an extension of my senses where I can feel the grip level, road surface, and the suspension working. This feeling of being connected to the car is highly muted in the F10 and that removes a lot of the fun with spirited driving imo.

After burning through som nice back roads the feeling is more: "Wow, that was impressive" instead of "Wow, that was fun, let's do it again".
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I think some of you have misunderstood criticism that owners like me have raised with the F10. It is indeed a competent and fast car. It corners rather well and is a very efficient cross country machine. Lack of performance has never been my complaint but to me the car is too filtered and clinical. I want more involvement and have the feel that the car is an extension of my senses where I can feel the grip level, road surface, and the suspension working. This feeling of being connected to the car is highly muted in the F10 and that removes a lot of the fun with spirited driving imo.

After burning through som nice back roads the feeling is more: "Wow, that was impressive" instead of "Wow, that was fun, let's do it again".
If you go into it thinking that you are buying a super high performance sports car then you may be disappointed, however if you go into it thinking that you are getting a luxury car that has some sporting attributes then you will be extremely impressed. If you want that car that you are talking about then do what I did, buy a Lotus!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman B View Post
If you go into it thinking that you are buying a super high performance sports car then you may be disappointed, however if you go into it thinking that you are getting a luxury car that has some sporting attributes then you will be extremely impressed. If you want that car that you are talking about then do what I did, buy a Lotus!!!
Hehe...good for you. Perhaps I'll do that. The new Eterne concept looks promising ( it's not glued together and is a 4 door ) but I'll think I'll wait a while to see what the reliability looks like...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Quote:
Hehe...good for you. Perhaps I'll do that. The new Eterne concept looks promising ( it's not glued together and is a 4 door ) but I'll think I'll wait a while to see what the reliability looks like...
Reliability, umm, it's a Lotus. You may become very dissatisfied if you are buying a Lotus for it's reliability. You could always get a Nissan GTR. Fast, Smooth, Reliable. But one problem, not very exciting when driving normally.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:

Solstice, no misunderstanding here - your posts are articulate, extremely descriptive, and have been valuable for me to read. I just hope you get the steering issue / grinding noise in your rear view mirror one way or another very soon!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I think some of you have misunderstood criticism that owners like me have raised with the F10..
No, just one in particular and not an owner at that.

I respect anyone's opinion. Until they try to make me eat it by holding my nose and shoving it down my throat.