Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
You responded to an error in my posting
You edited your post after I had already replied.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
You make is sound like the bank is paying the drivers directly. The bank sponsors Ferrari and Ferrari pays the drivers and decides what to do. Yes, No?

So Kimi left and not that Ferrari let him go? Is that what you are saying?
Ferrari does not pay the drivers; the sponsors do.

Räikkönen had a year left on his deal with SF. Massa had two years remaining on his contract.

Santander had a sponsorship package for SF that included Alonso driving for SF.

Santander bought out the last year of Räikkönen's contract, did the sponsorship deal with SF, and this made it possible for Alonso to drive. If Räikkönen would have refused to leave, SF would have not received the huge deal with Santander Bank.

If Räikkönen would have driven in Formula 1 for any other team in 2010, he would have only received half of his salary from Santander. Instead, he took Santander's money, signed a WRC contract with Red Bull and got an even bigger salary from them than Loeb gets from Citroen.

Any further questions?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Speaking of cornering, wide and long curves at the end of straights is another formula for more passing. Do away with most chicanes and have penalties for those who use the short cuts at the remaining chicanes. Replace the chicanes with more wide curves where there is room for two and three cars wide. Like on stock circle tracks. That will provide exciting passing on the inside and outside. Who do I tell at the FIA and the circuts?
You must be connected with high ranking, inside authorities.

Todt is now demanding changes to all of the circuits that have little to no passing, i.e., Abu Dhabi. For next season!

The FIA will review all of the tracks not only for safety issues, but also in terms what type of spectacle does each offer.

I just read about this from La Stampa. Which is an I-talian newspaper.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Vettel fastest on the new tires, but still 1.5sec slower than his Q3 time on Saturday.

Source: MTV3 F1 page - oh sorry, that is in Finnish btw...

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutise...010/11/1227729
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1040430.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	255261   Click image for larger version

Name:	1040432.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	255262  
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
The times on the new Pirellis have no comparisons. Only same track, same day, same car comparisons can be made bewteen brands. This for a variety of reasons too numerous for a lazy person to communicate here.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy

Last edited by franka; 11-19-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Räikkönen had a year left on his deal with SF. Massa had two years remaining on his contract.

Santander bought out the last year of Räikkönen's contract, did the sponsorship deal with SF, and this made it possible for Alonso to drive. If Räikkönen would have refused to leave, SF would have not received the huge deal with Santander Bank.

If Räikkönen would have driven in Formula 1 for any other team in 2010, he would have only received half of his salary from Santander. Instead, he took Santander's money, signed a WRC contract with Red Bull and got an even bigger salary from them than Loeb gets from Citroen.

Any further questions?
Yes

I thought SF was Spoon Face, apparently not. So who or what is SF?

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Yes

SF is Scuderia Ferrari .

I'm still not sure who spoonface is . Nearest I can figure , it's either Kubica or Schumi.

Nice to see Massa on top today . I know it's only testing and you have no idea what each teams agenda was but still , if ever a guy needed a confidence boost , it's him . And I wonder what was with the red helmet he wore in the morning session ? Just something for the cameras or trying to change his colors to change his luck ?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The times on the new Pirellis have no comparisons. Only same track, same day, same car comparisons can be made bewteen brands. This for a variety of reasons too numerous for a lazy person to communicate here.
I think that it is a GOOD thing that at this new stage for Pirelli, that the times are only 1.5sec behind the qualifying time.

And since the track has had only 1 day off since last Friday, the track is only getting faster as more rubber gets put down.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
SF is Scuderia Ferrari .

I'm still not sure who spoonface is . Nearest I can figure , it's either Kubica or Schumi.
You are a F1 fan, a Ferrari fan, and you do not know who Spoonface is?
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Yes

Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Spoon Face = Schumacher.

Rosberg is complaining about the Pirellis saying they are like the bad front Bridgestones that Schumi blames for his poor times.

What a joke. I thought he would know better. He's foolishly looking for excuses when he doesn't have to. Pirelli is in development and this is the first time they have their tire on a variety of real F1 cars.

Give Pirelli time and they will be there.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I think that it is a GOOD thing that at this new stage for Pirelli, that the times are only 1.5sec behind the qualifying time.

And since the track has had only 1 day off since last Friday, the track is only getting faster as more rubber gets put down.

Pirelli has stated that the rubber that was laid from the race is more of a hinderance than help. Diff composition is why.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
The biggest news coming from Pirelli testing is what Rosberg says about the tires and it's not good. Basically the fronts are worse than Bridgestone's and this means Schumi will still struggle if the design of the car is not changed completely from this years car. I was hoping to see Spoonface challenge the young guns...
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:

Any further questions?
So how's that going? Is he worth more than Loeb ( in your humble opinion?) Nothing like hijacking one's own thread.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY

Last edited by berford; 11-19-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
The biggest news coming from Pirelli testing is what Rosberg says about the tires and it's not good. Basically the fronts are worse than Bridgestone's and this means Schumi will still struggle if the design of the car is not changed completely from this years car. I was hoping to see Spoonface challenge the young guns...
And yesterday, Ross Brawn said that the new Mercedes will be built to Spoonface's driving style.

And Fittipaldi (who cares what he says) said that Vettel's main contenders next season will be El Banco and Spoonface.

What?

Anyway, Pirelli still has time to develop the tires. That is why there is this mass testing now.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
So how's that going? Is he worth more than Loeb ( in your humble opinion?)
Pretty damn good for someone that had only driven three rallies in a S2000 car.

As for his worth: ask Red Bull.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Pirelli has stated that the rubber that was laid from the race is more of a hinderance than help. Diff composition is why.
Source?

And it is Ok if it is not in English.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Check your sources, only Rosberg is not happy with the Pirelli tests. They ran 12 F1 cars and the vast majority were pleasantly surprised with the new rubber, Pirelli too.

The rubber will be fine.

Autosport

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post

Not so. Rosberg is the only complainer I know of. And I already posted he did not like the fronts. Didn't like Bridgestone fronts either, he says Schumi was so poor the whole season due to the fronts. Yea right. Poor baby.

Most others managed very well with the Bridgestones, and the Pirellis.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Massa pleased with strong Pirelli start

By Edd Straw Friday, November 19th 2010, 16:09 GMT

----------------------------------------------------------------

Pirelli exceeds drivers' expectations

By Edd Straw Friday, November 19th 2010, 17:59 GMT

Old 11-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Check your sources, only Rosberg is not happy with the Pirelli tests. They ran 12 F1 cars and the vast majority were pleasantly surprised with the new rubber, Pirelli too.

The rubber will be fine.

Autosport
My only source is actually doing the testing in Abu Dhabi and he hasn't replied to FB (Facebook) messages today.

Is Autosport in English? Sounds German, makes me nervous.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
What a joke. I thought he would know better. He's foolishly looking for excuses when he doesn't have to.
FrankA, join me in forgiving Spoonface for all of that nonsense in the past when he single-handedly managed to ruin Formula 1, and let's cheer for him next season.

It's a new era, he is old, not driving the enemy car (Benetton or FIAT) and cheering for the underdog makes one feel all fuzzy inside.

It's like cheering for Mansell when he was too fat to even sit in the McLaren in 1995.

I am willing to forgive and forget.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
My only source is actually doing the testing in Abu Dhabi and he hasn't replied to FB (Facebook) messages today.

Is he with Mercedes?

English of course, but maybe other languages too, ? Subscription $$$ expensive so it must be good.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:

Could be a little busy for FB.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Awesome power!

Quote:
FrankA, join me in forgiving Spoonface for all of that nonsense in the past when he single-handedly managed to ruin Formula 1, and let's cheer for him next season.

It's a new era, he is old, not driving the enemy car (Benetton or FIAT) and cheering for the underdog makes one feel all fuzzy inside.

It's like cheering for Mansell when he was too fat to even sit in the McLaren in 1995.

I am willing to forgive and forget.
Perhaps I can forgive him for his almost continuous abuse of F1 in his first life. Perhaps not. But the experience of his reincarnation has certainly begat a better life for the rest of the field...so far. Even if I forgive, I can't seem to forget. I do think he'll post a win or two sometime in the future, but will never be in contention for the crown again.