Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Could be a little busy for FB.
True, but he usually does reply, even on race weekends. At least when he isn't locked out of his own hotel room.

I think that he is actually playing golf.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Not so. Rosberg is the only complainer I know of. And I already posted he did not like the fronts. Didn't like Bridgestone fronts either, he says Schumi was so poor the whole season due to the fronts. Yea right. Poor baby.

Most others managed very well with the Bridgestones, and the Pirellis.
There was a fundamental flaw in the design of the W01, the narrower new spec tires only made things worse. I'm not a Schumi fan but I can see how one can have trouble with poor car. He didn't have a "feel" for it from the beginning and if you don't have confidence in your car you'll never be quick in it.
There were other drivers that didn't care for the tires this year but the media concentrated on Michael's situation.

One thing is clear from the driver's comments after the test, Pirellis are slower, degrade faster (good thing) and there are no problems with getting them up to temperature. No nasty surprises and they will get better.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:39 PM
racer wannabe

Fyi

There is a great analysis of the tire test on James Allen's site.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
What is his web address, please?

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
There was a fundamental flaw in the design of the W01, the narrower new spec tires only made things worse. I'm not a Schumi fan but I can see how one can have trouble with poor car. He didn't have a "feel" for it from the beginning and if you don't have confidence in your car you'll never be quick in it.
There were other drivers that didn't care for the tires this year but the media concentrated on Michael's situation.

One thing is clear from the driver's comments after the test, Pirellis are slower, degrade faster (good thing) and there are no problems with getting them up to temperature. No nasty surprises and they will get better.

I hear you about Schumi's car not suiting him but the vast majority of drivers do not have cars built just for them. It doesn't speak well for Schu. Even his team mate was beating him plus the new young guns new to F1 cars. They adapted. A legend should be able to adapt to a degree. His failure to adapt supports my long time argument that he had all sorts of special treatment, Bridgestone tires made to suit him, Ferrari winning most all on and off track decisions for years, etc, etc, etc.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy

Last edited by franka; 11-19-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:
What is his web address, please?
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

The best F1 blog
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I have saved it.

The report is a day behind though.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Bored and it's snowing

I just did some research.

For the past four years of these spoiler threads, each one has ended with a post by... franka.

And before we had an entire season thread, we used to have individual race threads. Reading posts in those threads is rather interesting.

We are so much more polite these days than five years ago! I am surprised that Baumann even talks to me anymore...
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Well , I guess it's nice to know the new Pirelli tires suit the F10 . Now I cant wait to see what the top teams bring to the table for 2011 .

One of the new regulations for 2011 was larger wheels with lower profile tires . Does anyone know if that's what they ran at this test ? I couldn't really tell any difference .

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-20-2010, 08:08 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Well , I guess it's nice to know the new Pirelli tires suit the F10 . Now I cant wait to see what the top teams bring to the table for 2011 .

One of the new regulations for 2011 was larger wheels with lower profile tires . Does anyone know if that's what they ran at this test ? I couldn't really tell any difference .
They didn't go with different profile.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I just did some research.

For the past four years of these spoiler threads, each one has ended with a post by... franka.

And before we had an entire season thread, we used to have individual race threads. Reading posts in those threads is rather interesting.

We are so much more polite these days than five years ago! I am surprised that Baumann even talks to me anymore...
No kidding!

I think we'd have more discussions if there was individual thread for each race.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
No kidding!

I think we'd have more discussions if there was individual thread for each race.
Good point. We might want to think about that (race threads). We might get more action. These million page season spoiler thread might be intimidating to anyone that doesn't know what we are talking about.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Good point. We might want to think about that (race threads). We might get more action. These million page season spoiler thread might be intimidating to anyone that doesn't know what we are talking about.
I'm for it.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb One and the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Perhaps I can forgive him for his almost continuous abuse of F1 in his first life. Perhaps not. But the experience of his reincarnation has certainly begat a better life for the rest of the field...so far. Even if I forgive, I can't seem to forget. I do think he'll post a win or two sometime in the future, but will never be in contention for the crown again.
You're right. I can't forget either.

The cheating, the lying (even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary), making a mockery of his teammate, his rivals, the FIA, his fans, getting away with everything, refusing to admit that he had done anything wrong, blaming others and then laughing all the way to the bank.

Wait. Are we talking about Spoonface, or Santander?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I'm for it.
Well, leave the season thread for whatever ramblings we have about F1 overall, and then make a Thursday-Monday race thread, for each race weekend.

Sounds good to me.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:

The cheating, the lying (even in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary), making a mockery of his teammate, his rivals, the FIA, his fans, getting away with everything, refusing to admit that he had done anything wrong, blaming others and then laughing all the way to the bank.

Spoonface, Santander or SF in general.

BTW, Mr. Botin's last name is incredibly apt for someone running a bank.

Last edited by e46Christian; 11-20-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb I was confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Christian View Post
Spoonface, Santander or SF in general.
Excellent point.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: .

Last edited by e46Christian; 11-20-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:

No, you are only talking about Ferrari. Jeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 AM

Tires, BMW, F1, Stock Cars

I was reading a Newey interview. When the tires went from treaded to slicks the fronts p/u a bit more grip than the rears. Unless the sizes changed after that Schumi got more front grip and not less. He may want more but can't complain that they went the other way.

FYI...Separately, BMW, Theissen said the board has firmly ruled out coming back to F1 for next year and years after that. They are sticking to production racing. Helps the breed and costs less.

F1 rules keep getting tighter and tighter and keep banning new clever engr and new trick ideas as they come into the cars. No, nope, not that, not next year, etc. The cars keep converging toward a spec car. No more clever engrg allowed, no more fun any more. They're all the same now which brings me to NASCAR.

Ground Effects. Look at the Nascar Sprint cars. A wide front spoiler that scrapes the track, full side skirts, a massive diffuser lets the big wide cars punch big holes in the air yet run 3 wide and 3 deep while touching yet w/o loss of control.

Wake up F1. Pull your freakin rules making heads out of your fat asses.

I had to vent.

Last edited by franka; 11-22-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:
I was reading a Newey interview. When the tires went from treaded to slicks the fronts p/u a bit more grip than the rears. Unless the sizes changed after that Schumi got more front grip and not less. He may want more but can't complain that they went the other way.
Schumacher last drove in 2006, it was on grooved tires and during tire war so the tires were very different from what he had on this year. When Bridgestone became the sole supplier they went with conservative compounds, the switch to slicks caused the fronts to have more grip so they were reduced in size for 2010 season, Brawn got the data wrong and messed up the design of Mercedes W01, Nico's results prove it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Schumacher last drove in 2006, it was on grooved tires and during tire war so the tires were very different from what he had on this year. When Bridgestone became the sole supplier they went with conservative compounds, the switch to slicks caused the fronts to have more grip so they were reduced in size for 2010 season, Brawn got the data wrong and messed up the design of Mercedes W01, Nico's results prove it.

No more excuses from the legend, we had a full year of them, if Nico and the other young guns are still beating him its over. It would have been over mid year if it was anyone else. Track times talk and all the BS walks.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
It sounds like we may be getting rid of at least boring track: the promoters of the European Grand Prix (Valencia) want out. The reason for this is that Ecclestone charges them 30 million Euros per race event, and there just aren't enough butts in seats to make the race viable.

Perhaps even Spanish Santander fans, I mean F1 fans, are now smart enough to realize that this race is always a yawner.

FOM (Ecclestone) is not interested in canceling the next two European Grand Prix from Valencia, but there is the possibility of moving the race to another venue. Namely, Circuito Guadalope de Alcaniz (ESP) or the Autódromo Internacional do Algarv (Portimao, Portugal).

Oh, my bad. I read about this in El Periodico, which is a Spanish newspaper. In Spanish.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
No more excuses from the legend, we had a full year of them, if Nico and the other young guns are still beating him its over. It would have been over mid year if it was anyone else. Track times talk and all the BS walks.
I am backing Spoonface for a strong run in 2011. I think.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Go back to the old thread! LG picture poll:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=879