Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Is that a diesel?

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It sounds like we may be getting rid of at least boring track: the promoters of the European Grand Prix (Valencia) want out.
Yeah, good for Valencia and the F1 fans, it is a boring circuit.

Talking about losing tracks, Enrico Ferrari fears that they might lose Monza to Rome:

Quote:
"Ecclestone's plan is to have glamour cities host grands prix," he told Bloomberg.

"Amid a globalization of grands prix, each country will inevitably be allowed to stage only one (and ) since Rome is the capital, I'm afraid we'd lose the grand prix forever."

Ferrari also believes Formula One does not need yet another street circuit.

"Formula One is all about speed," he said. "There are very few circuits out there that offer the right conditions for speed and for passing: Silverstone, Spa and Monza.

"Attempts to create those conditions in glamorous cities haven't quite measured up. You don't get the spectacle of sheer speed."
Got to put on the BS filter when reading comments from both sides as both sides have vested interests in the upcoming concorde agreement. If Bernie were stupid enough to give the Italian GP to Rome instead of Monza, it would be insane The Tifosi would hunt him down.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Help Lotus Racing decide what the livery will look like on their 2011 Formula 1 car!

http://www.lotusracing.my/spark/comp...mpetition.aspx
Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65,03 cobra
I really hope they don't get rid of Monza for yet another street circuit, which will prob be a no passing boring race Bernie is an idiot.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Is there a body guard in the house?

When Button was almost kidnapped/robbed/beaten up in Sao Paolo, while being driven to his hotel after qualifying, Ecclestone suggested that the baddies only go after those that are weak. Meaning, Button is weak and therefore was targeted.

I wonder if Ecclestone is singing the same tune after being robbed and getting a can of whoop ass opened up on him, in front of his own house.

I will wait for whatever comment Button has to make about this unfortunate incident.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Did they steal his bus pass?

Beating up senor citizens is wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-mugging.html
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Old 12-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Could di Montezemolo be done?

http://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/2010/...-il-nous-dire/

Comments?

Typical Italian corruption? Just a coincidence?

Source: AutoPlus magazine, and yes, it is in FRENCH.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
button already told his story and there was some machine gun fire and car sideswipping when driving away thru town. the story from button's mouth, not bernie's BS for PR

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 12-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
button already told his story and there was some machine gun fire and car sideswipping when driving away thru town. the story from button's mouth, not bernie's BS for PR
I meant if Button would have any comments about Ecclestone being targeted for a beat down and robbery... Since Ecclestone said (with regards to the Button incident in Brazil) that bad guys only go after those that are weak.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb This post is in English

So, the stepped (illegal) diffusor and F-duct are going to be history next season, and we get KERS back (groan) and the moveable/adjustable rear wing element(s).

That sounds interesting. And probably opens up a can of worms for engineers pushing the rules to the limit.

I really wonder how clear the rules are going to be about this moveable wing idea. I can see another situation where Brawn (or whatever team) knows something that no one else does, or interprets the rules differently, and we end up with some huge controversy about what is legal, and what is not.

This issue is so important for 2011, that it wouldn't be too surprising if some teams don't even use KERS - at least, at the start of the season. If they can't get the rear wing right from the get-go, what is the point of trying to get KERS working properly.

The rear wing thing is obviously just as important as the double diffusor was two years ago.

Will the rules be air tight this time around?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
So, the stepped (illegal) diffusor and F-duct are going to be history next season, and we get KERS back (groan) and the moveable/adjustable rear wing element(s).

That sounds interesting. And probably opens up a can of worms for engineers pushing the rules to the limit.

I really wonder how clear the rules are going to be about this moveable wing idea. I can see another situation where Brawn (or whatever team) knows something that no one else does, or interprets the rules differently, and we end up with some huge controversy about what is legal, and what is not.

This issue is so important for 2011, that it wouldn't be too surprising if some teams don't even use KERS - at least, at the start of the season. If they can't get the rear wing right from the get-go, what is the point of trying to get KERS working properly.

The rear wing thing is obviously just as important as the double diffusor was two years ago.

Will the rules be air tight this time around?
I doubt the rules will be clear. This is one instance where I agree with DiMontezemolo (blech!).

I've read commentary from Lewis Hamilton and other insiders saying that the combination of KERS and the movable rear wing will prove challenging to manage at every level; right down to picking a 7th gear ratio.

I foresee a lot of crashing next season, unless the teams get enough track time to test these things out thoroughly.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46Christian View Post
I doubt the rules will be clear. This is one instance where I agree with DiMontezemolo (blech!).

I've read commentary from Lewis Hamilton and other insiders saying that the combination of KERS and the movable rear wing will prove challenging to manage at every level; right down to picking a 7th gear ratio.

I foresee a lot of crashing next season, unless the teams get enough track time to test these things out thoroughly.
The drivers are going to be overwhelmed with things to do in the cockpit; will they be allowed to use an auto-pilot to drive the vehicle, so that they can push buttons, turn dials and follow system read outs?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
The drivers are going to be overwhelmed with things to do in the cockpit; will they be allowed to use an auto-pilot to drive the vehicle, so that they can push buttons, turn dials and follow system read outs?

The term "piloti" becomes more apt by the day.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 PM

KERS will be more powerful than two years ago. The greater the KERS power allowed the more KERS will favor the flywheel system vs batteries. But I don't know what the new KERS power limit is, just that it is higher.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
KERS will be more powerful than two years ago. The greater the KERS power allowed the more KERS will favor the flywheel system vs batteries. But I don't know what the new KERS power limit is, just that it is higher.
KERS will not (as far as what I have read) be any different until 2013 with the new engine regulations, when it goes from 60kW to 120kW.

And as far as I know, only Williams tried to develop the flywheel system. And then they gave up.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Bring back the V12

According to the BBC (that is an ENGLISH language television channel), the FIA will announce the engine regulations for 2013, sometime this week.

Apparently, all of the engine makers have agreed upon a 1.6 liter, 4 cylinder, single turbo engine, limited to 10,000 RPM, producing 750hp. Moreover, fuel consumption will be reduced by almost 50% over the current 2.4 liter, 8 cylinder engines. KERS will also get bumped up to 120kW.

Comments?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Flywheel is the Future.

In 2010 Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid used the WHP flywheel system to loose the Nurb 24 hr race due to unprecedented failure of Porsche's racing IC engine in the last hour. The front wheels drive the system and power from the flywheel is reapplied to the front wheels.

The front wheels do 60% of the stopping so its obvious to use the fronts and store more power than if rear was used. They even used torque vectoring. Could have used two flywheels they say but one on the passenger side with twice the power of the former F1 KERS.

Batteries in F1 cars are at their limit. They can not move power in and out fast enough even if they did not heat up, but they do. One race destroys the batteries in an F1 car and not by choice for an advantage. Its a disadvantage.

This is from Porsche "...any rise in storage reqmt brings with it larger heavier batteries. In contrast flywheel size and increase diminishes with increasing storage. Thus in future more potent systems logically will encourage flywheel sys.

Another aspect is flywheels last where batteries do not. Example is braking event is two seconds batteries get very hot not flywheel. You can run our flywheel very hard in very short time in and out. It will last over one million cycles and a full season.

Porsche considers this a pre-development for road cars....The flywheel is 98% eff...though the overall sys is ~70% and as you would expect is not identical to the Williams F1 sys but is very similiar...Its is made by WHP for us.....we are applying up to 680kj per single event...The sys worked perfectly from day one...the drivers are like small boys playing with a new toy they are very happy with the sys...."

I could go on with a lot more things they are doing with this sys in this car and future cars. They have a lot of patents that they are not reveiling they say. Electrical battery sys haven't a chance to compete with the flywheel. Contrary to above post I do believe KERS will be higher in 2011 but also I assume the rules are written to keep KERS low enough to allow teams to use their lower power battery sys.

It will be interesting to see if Williams will use their patented flywheel system in 2011. My understanding is that last year they didn't have enough time to prepare the rest of the flywheel sys. Battery KERS sys can be bought from one of the biggy elect sys, mngmnt sys mfgrs, their name escapes me now.

Last edited by franka; 12-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
According to the BBC (that is an ENGLISH language television channel), the FIA will announce the engine regulations for 2013, sometime this week.

Apparently, all of the engine makers have agreed upon a 1.6 liter, 4 cylinder, single turbo engine, limited to 10,000 RPM, producing 750hp. Moreover, fuel consumption will be reduced by almost 50% over the current 2.4 liter, 8 cylinder engines. KERS will also get bumped up to 120kW.

Comments?
Yes this or very close to this was agreed to by most mfgrs over a year ago. They even tried to make this a one engine rule for rally cars, saloon(spl?), etc cars. A "world" race engine.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 AM

Alonso best Driver

Although Alonso missed out on the world championship following a troubled Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the Spaniard managed to beat title winner Sebastian Vettel in the team principals' eyes.

Alonso beat Vettel by nine points overall after the votes of all the team principals were added up - moving him up from fourth place overall where he was voted last season.

Although just missing out on the world title, Alonso has said that his 2010 campaign for Ferrari was the best of his career - as he delivered five victories in his maiden campaign for the Maranello outfit.

"I am very pleased to learn that the majority of team principals chose me as their best driver of the year, even if it goes without saying that I would have preferred to receive that accolade in the guise of world champion," said Alonso.

"It is yet another reason to claim this has been an amazing season, despite the disappointment at the final hurdle.

"The team and I fought all the way to the very end, without ever giving up, even when it all seemed like a lost cause: we staged a remarkable comeback. Next year, we will be looking to do better, but I will still remember 2010 as a wonderful year."

Team boss Stefano Domenicali added: "I am pleased and proud that Fernando has been rated by my fellow team principals as the best driver of this past year: he had a fantastic season.

"It is hardly a secret that he is a talented driver, but I must say, on behalf of everyone at Ferrari, that it was an honour for us to work with him from the human perspective. Fernando was a driving force and our aim next year will be to give him and Felipe a car which is competitive at the very highest level, right from the first race."

Old 12-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb And no.

Quote:
Although Alonso missed out on the world championship following a troubled Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the Spaniard managed to beat title winner Sebastian Vettel in the team principals' eyes.

Alonso beat Vettel by nine points overall after the votes of all the team principals were added up - moving him up from fourth place overall where he was voted last season.

Although just missing out on the world title, Alonso has said that his 2010 campaign for Ferrari was the best of his career - as he delivered five victories in his maiden campaign for the Maranello outfit.

"I am very pleased to learn that the majority of team principals chose me as their best driver of the year, even if it goes without saying that I would have preferred to receive that accolade in the guise of world champion," said Alonso.

"It is yet another reason to claim this has been an amazing season, despite the disappointment at the final hurdle.

"The team and I fought all the way to the very end, without ever giving up, even when it all seemed like a lost cause: we staged a remarkable comeback. Next year, we will be looking to do better, but I will still remember 2010 as a wonderful year."

Team boss Stefano Domenicali added: "I am pleased and proud that Fernando has been rated by my fellow team principals as the best driver of this past year: he had a fantastic season.

"It is hardly a secret that he is a talented driver, but I must say, on behalf of everyone at Ferrari, that it was an honour for us to work with him from the human perspective. Fernando was a driving force and our aim next year will be to give him and Felipe a car which is competitive at the very highest level, right from the first race."
No.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Patrick,

I knew you couldn't resist that Alonso post. I almost addressed it to you.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM

More of Alonso

Alonso buoyed by gap to Massa

By Pablo Elizalde and Matt Beer Wednesday, December 1st 2010, 10:10 GMT

Fernando Alonso says he took great satisfaction from his margin of superiority over Ferrari team-mate Felipe Massa this season, with the Spaniard seeing the gap as evidence that he was in his best form yet.

In an interview with Onda Cero radio, Alonso said that beating Massa by the margin that he did - with Alonso qualifying in front 15 times in 19 races and out-scoring his team-mate by 108 points - showed he had raised his game in 2010.

"It's probably the biggest gap that I have ever had to a team-mate and that makes me happy because of the results that I've had over the past years," said Alonso.

"My level of driving is better than ever and I hope I can keep it up next year."

So he is faster than Massa who was almost killed by a head injury. What an ass to say something like that.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Senna Movie

Senna movie up for Sundance award

By Jonathan Noble Monday, December 6th 2010, 16:10 GMT

The new movie documentary on Ayrton Senna has been short listed for a prestigious award at the influential Sundance Film Festival.

'Senna' was picked out along with 11 other movies from almost 800 submissions for the World Cinema Documentary Section - and will have its North American premier at the event which takes place next January.

The Senna movie, which chronicles the Brazilian's career in F1, has already earned rave reviews following its cinematic release in Japan and Brazil.

It is due to be released in Europe in the middle of next year.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Finally

Ecclestone puts a spin on mugging

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 09:42 GMT

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has proved the trauma of his recent mugging has not affected his sense of humour, or commercial nous, after making light of the incident in a new shock advert for watch brand Hublot.

Ecclestone suffered a head injury after being kicked and punched in the attack outside his London offices last month - with the assailants getting away with around 200,000 worth of jewellery.

But rather than hide away about the extent of his injuries, Ecclestone has used the incident to front a new ad campaign for Hublot - which is an official watch partner of F1.

In adverts that are due to appear in the Financial Times and the International Herald Tribune later this week, Ecclestone adorns the advert with a face shot of his injuries - under which is written: "See what people will do for a Hublot."
---------------------------------------------

His whole right eye socket is black. Darker than anything I've ever seen. He's a fool for wearing that muchvisible money . Where were his body guards? I bet he uses them now.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Rule #1 for fight club: Always lead with your face.

That way, it ends faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	article-1333608-0C414058000005DC-555_468x425.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	257406