Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 199 528i
ASC/ABS Module

Is there one module that controls both or is the ASC a separate module? This is for a 1999 528i with ASC (not DSC).

TIA
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalenzano View Post
Is there one module that controls both or is the ASC a separate module? This is for a 1999 528i with ASC (not DSC).

TIA
One module
Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 AM

And that is a fairly quick swap out from what I read here (not counting the reprograming required).
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
And that is a fairly quick swap out from what I read here (not counting the reprograming required).
Yes. The programming is ever quicker, it takes less than 5 minutes. That is, if you got the equipment.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM

The BMW parts counter guy is actually very friendly and extends me discounts on parts. Anybody know what the typical discount that a dme and abs/asc module for the 528i could be purchased for at the parts counter? I was quoted 2.3Kjust to replace the DME. The part list for 1.7K (full retail), but WTF, is the extra 600 dollars for? It's an 1-2 hour job, at most. The 1.7K is ridiculous too, but I think I can get them to charge their cost, based on the history of this issue (what they already charged me for that did not fix the problem).
Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The BMW parts counter guy is actually very friendly and extends me discounts on parts. Anybody know what the typical discount that a dme and abs/asc module for the 528i could be purchased for at the parts counter? I was quoted 2.3Kjust to replace the DME. The part list for 1.7K (full retail), but WTF, is the extra 600 dollars for? It's an 1-2 hour job, at most. The 1.7K is ridiculous too, but I think I can get them to charge their cost, based on the history of this issue (what they already charged me for that did not fix the problem).
You got 1999 e39 and your ready to shell that kind of $$ for DME? You do know that you can get used modules? A mechanic that knows what he's doing changes and programs a DME in under 30 minutes.. Why are you replacing DME?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 AM

^ I hit the trifecta (abs, asc, cel) tranny in limp mode. Based on research here I thought most likely ABS/ASC module, but after a few misdiagnostics, dealership convinced it's the DME. They tried a frew other things, like reprogramming DME and now they are saying it's the ABS/ASC and DME :-). The why part? Well the car is in pretty good shape, 96K original miles (we are the original owners) and the engine has on 75K on it since it was replaced on warranty after bad thermostat meltdown while under warranty. Going to give the car to my 16 year old, so where else could I find a safe, car, that is in good shape at even those repair prices? I'll post they full dealership diagnostic when I get a chance.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
^ I hit the trifecta (abs, asc, cel) tranny in limp mode. Based on research here I thought most likely ABS/ASC module, but after a few misdiagnostics, dealership convinced it's the DME. They tried a frew other things, like reprogramming DME and now they are saying it's the ABS/ASC and DME :-). The why part? Well the car is in pretty good shape, 96K original miles (we are the original owners) and the engine has on 75K on it since it was replaced on warranty after bad thermostat meltdown while under warranty. Going to give the car to my 16 year old, so where else could I find a safe, car, that is in good shape at even those repair prices? I'll post they full dealership diagnostic when I get a chance.
Sigh. Once again dealership can't diagnose an issue. The abs/asc lights are due to abs module being bad, wiring issue, wheel speed sensor issue or abs ring issue. It's that simple, it has to be one of those. It isin't your DME. That is 99,9% sure. Bluebee has composed a good guide to diagnose it. Most likely your trans failsafe is also due to ABS issues. CEL could be anything.

If you don't DIY take it to reputable BMW indie. What ever you do DO NOT replace the DME. BTW that isin't a trifecta, it's bifecta. The CEL isin't related to ABS.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 525i 2002 & x5 2002
^^^ I Agree^^^ do your own diagnostic it's very simple (Unless putting gas in your car is a challenge to you) CLICK HERE for how to DIY. ABS rebuilt is going to cost about $300 or if it is one of the wheel sensors you can get one of those form Ebay for about $30
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR1982 View Post
^^^ I Agree^^^ do your own diagnostic it's very simple (Unless putting gas in your car is a challenge to you) CLICK HERE for how to DIY. ABS rebuilt is going to cost about $300 or if it is one of the wheel sensors you can get one of those form Ebay for about $30
BBA-reman offers the rebuild quite often for $99. I would advice against cheap wheel speed sensors. Quite a few have had issues with cheap wheel speed sensors.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
BBA-reman offers the rebuild quite often for $99. I would advice against cheap wheel speed sensors. Quite a few have had issues with cheap wheel speed sensors.
BBA did my rebuild for an X5 module and it was $300, They did a great job on mine and I've heard they are the preferred method of rebuild on this forum. I have no experience with the sensors, other then searching on ebay so I would not be the experienced one to ask on this matter.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
BBA did my rebuild for an X5 module and it was $300, They did a great job on mine and I've heard they are the preferred method of rebuild on this forum. I have no experience with the sensors, other then searching on ebay so I would not be the experienced one to ask on this matter.
BBA is offering Bosch 5.7 rebuild for $95 on ebay
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM

The codes associated with the Check engine light where p0600 and p1747.

The first incident, about 1 month ago was fail safe with obd codes p1747 and p0740. Their first shot at this at $520+ was this ....
"Performed a short test found fault s0039 no communication with the cruise control stored in the fault memory"

They claimed they found the slip ring wires damaged so they replaced the slip ring and sent me on my way. Things look good for about 2 weeks until it started again (tranny failsafe with po600 and p1747). Dealer claims things are so screwed he cannot even identify the car with their test equipment. I misplaced the worksheet on the last diagnostic, but when i find it I will post. The latest attempt was to try to reprogram the DME, that failed and now the diagnostic is showing replace the ASC and DME. I have gone over the possibility of the abs and speed sensors at least 3 times whit them and they claim no, but I'm convinced they don't have a clue or there is more going on here then what others on this forum have experienced. I think the mechanic (and this is the shop foreman working on it) is convinced it's the DME because he cannot identify the car.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM

I attached the worksheet or the second round of diagnostics. I don't know why they told me they could not ID the vehicle, it states on the worksheet they could with gt1. Me looking at this, it's clear the issue is the ASC, but they were reluctant to replace it until they could trip another fail safe, which they were not able to do. I'm sending this out for a rebuild since it's the cheapest option at this point. I'll also check the speed sensors while I'll have things apart. With ASC cars, are there 2 or 4 wheel sensors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_1.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	423688   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_2.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	423689  
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
The codes associated with the Check engine light where p0600 and p1747.

The first incident, about 1 month ago was fail safe with obd codes p1747 and p0740. Their first shot at this at $520+ was this ....
"Performed a short test found fault s0039 no communication with the cruise control stored in the fault memory"

They claimed they found the slip ring wires damaged so they replaced the slip ring and sent me on my way. Things look good for about 2 weeks until it started again (tranny failsafe with po600 and p1747). Dealer claims things are so screwed he cannot even identify the car with their test equipment. I misplaced the worksheet on the last diagnostic, but when i find it I will post. The latest attempt was to try to reprogram the DME, that failed and now the diagnostic is showing replace the ASC and DME. I have gone over the possibility of the abs and speed sensors at least 3 times whit them and they claim no, but I'm convinced they don't have a clue or there is more going on here then what others on this forum have experienced. I think the mechanic (and this is the shop foreman working on it) is convinced it's the DME because he cannot identify the car.
Well things could be pretty screwed, if they messed up reprogramming the DME... What on earth possed them to reprogram DME to solve ABS issue. If I were you I would run (drive like I stole it) away from that dealer, while you still can. By the looks of it this path could lead the death of your car in the hands of the dealer.. Maybe they are trying to kill your e39 to get you to buy a new BMW.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
BBA is offering Bosch 5.7 rebuild for $95 on ebay
I have the same model year and ASC configuration as the OP ('99 with Bosch 5.7, ASC) and got a BBA rebuild, via their ebay listing, for under $100. Fixed my "bifecta" issue and only took 7 days from ship/repair/receive.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM

^
Did your car also go into trans limp mode when this happen and did your speed-o stop working too?

One of the things I'm going to try is disconnecticting the ABS/ASC module when I get home to see if this stops the tranny from going into to limp mode. One of the theories is, a bad ABS/ASC will screw up the CAN bus causing the tranny to go into limp mode because it (trannycontrol module) cannot read the speed sensors or pulse generator signals
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
^
Did your car also go into trans limp mode when this happen and did your speed-o stop working too?

One of the things I'm going to try is disconnecticting the ABS/ASC module when I get home to see if this stops the tranny from going into to limp mode. One of the theories is, a bad ABS/ASC will screw up the CAN bus causing the tranny to go into limp mode because it (trannycontrol module) cannot read the speed sensors or pulse generator signals
Tranny goes into limp mode, because it doesn't know the speed of the vehicle. EGS (tranny control module) gets the speed information from ABS module. So removing the ABS won't fix trans fail safe.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:53 PM

^
Thxs
Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Do we know if the module uses specific wheel sensor for speed?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-20-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Do we know if the module uses specific wheel sensor for speed?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It uses left rear for speedo. However other wheel sensors are also used for proper operation of tranny. It delays shifting on corners, uphill etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 AM

^
Left rear, hmmmm. So the dealer noted that when I originally took the car in for the bifecta issue. that the left half shat was out about an inch. I told them to check their record s and they will see they replaced the left rear half-shaft seal, and obviously the bozo who repaired it (2 years ago) thought the retaining clip was an option. They caved immediately any repaired the issue at no cost. I mentioned this to the mechanic that was it possible that the left rear speed sensor was damaged when the shaft moved and he basically ignored my concern. I have not looked at this myself and not sure where the sensor is located, but is it possible that this could of damaged it?
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
^
Left rear, hmmmm. So the dealer noted that when I originally took the car in for the bifecta issue. that the left half shat was out about an inch. I told them to check their record s and they will see they replaced the left rear half-shaft seal, and obviously the bozo who repaired it (2 years ago) thought the retaining clip was an option. They caved immediately any repaired the issue at no cost. I mentioned this to the mechanic that was it possible that the left rear speed sensor was damaged when the shaft moved and he basically ignored my concern. I have not looked at this myself and not sure where the sensor is located, but is it possible that this could of damaged it?
The halfshaft movement can't damage the sensor. The sensor is housed inside the wheel carrier. Only way would be that the mechanic damaged it while working there. However I doubt he did. It's pretty well protected.

I did check those P codes you got and car got communication issues. These could be caused by bad ABS module. Did you really get P-codes from official BMW dealer? I tought your supposed to get BMW FC. With these error codes I would start with replacing the ABS module.