Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xDrive
Crossed 10,000 miles. Still in love with the 328d

Just wanted to share how much I'm enjoying this car after 7 months and 10,000 miles, and also offer up some observations for anyone considering buying one.
  • So far, I have had zero unscheduled trips to the dealer, and one scheduled maintenance visit. No check engine lights, etc. I took it in at 9K miles, and hadn't had to add any DEF fluid along the way. Dealer topped it off and did the oil change, etc. with no issues.
  • Fuel economy is at 38.1 average for my usual mix of city and highway driving, up about 3 mpg from when it was new.
  • I'm satisfied with the engine's power. I've never had a problem out-accelerating someone when I've needed to, but where this engine seems to really shine is on the mountain twisties - plenty of power for climbing and passing.
  • I'm 43, have owned many cars and SUVs, and this is the best highway cruiser I've ever owned. After several long days in the driver's seat on trips, I was still comfortable and never felt fatigued - rare for me.
  • I'm glad I opted for the nav system and premium stereo. Best factory sound of any car I've owned, including a Land Rover with the top end H/K system. I use the nav constantly, and never thought I would. The online search feature rocks.
  • I've had 5 people in the car plus a trunk full of luggage, and the back seat was snug, but everyone made it through a 4 hour drive. That was the only time I wished I'd bought the wagon - mainly for extra luggage space.
  • The factory tires seem to be wearing well, with no visible wear so far.
  • No squeaks or rattles anywhere so far
Result: This car will be a long term keeper for me. I'm glad I like the color :-)
Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Good to hear!
Old 08-24-2014, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotrash View Post
Just wanted to share how much I'm enjoying this car after 7 months and 10,000 miles, and also offer up some observations for anyone considering buying one.
  • So far, I have had zero unscheduled trips to the dealer, and one scheduled maintenance visit. No check engine lights, etc. I took it in at 9K miles, and hadn't had to add any DEF fluid along the way. Dealer topped it off and did the oil change, etc. with no issues.
  • Fuel economy is at 38.1 average for my usual mix of city and highway driving, up about 3 mpg from when it was new.
  • I'm satisfied with the engine's power. I've never had a problem out-accelerating someone when I've needed to, but where this engine seems to really shine is on the mountain twisties - plenty of power for climbing and passing.
  • I'm 43, have owned many cars and SUVs, and this is the best highway cruiser I've ever owned. After several long days in the driver's seat on trips, I was still comfortable and never felt fatigued - rare for me.
  • I'm glad I opted for the nav system and premium stereo. Best factory sound of any car I've owned, including a Land Rover with the top end H/K system. I use the nav constantly, and never thought I would. The online search feature rocks.
  • I've had 5 people in the car plus a trunk full of luggage, and the back seat was snug, but everyone made it through a 4 hour drive. That was the only time I wished I'd bought the wagon - mainly for extra luggage space.
Result: This car will be a long term keeper for me. I'm glad I like the color :-)
Pretty much the same experience for me.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D White
I saw a wagon recently, very nice looking car. Glad your liking your diesel, I miss the 335D, but love the X5.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: German
I saw an Estoril Blue 328xd wagon the other day. Awesome looking car
Old 08-24-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I saw an Estoril Blue 328xd wagon the other day. Awesome looking car
I agree with you. I'm not a big Estoril Blue fan on the sedan, but the wagon looks amazing to me with it for some reason.

Glad others are having a good experience too. I read somewhere recently that the sales of the 328d are up now after a slow start. When I first started shopping in December, there were probably 15 of them on each of the area dealers' lots. Last time I checked their sites, there were only 3 or 4 at each, which also suggests it's selling better.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-24-2014, 06:08 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
I'm satisfied with the engine's power. I've never had a problem out-accelerating someone when I've needed to, but where this engine seems to really shine is on the mountain twisties - plenty of power for climbing and passing.
A couple of years ago I drove my Bluetec to Denver and then on to Mount Evans.Of course it had 400 ft lbs of torque but that thing didn't miss a beat on the 20 mile drive from 5,000 ft Denver to 14,000 ft Mount Evans.I just might take the same trip with my "d" and see what happens.

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 08-24-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
My post in another thread from two weeks ago:

Quote:
I was just behind a blue 328d wagon here in Toronto on Carlaw Ave heading south towards Danforth. I've never been a wagon fan but that car looked sweet.
It was an Estoril blue xdrive.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
A couple of years ago I drove my Bluetec to Denver and then on to Mount Evans.Of course it had 400 ft lbs of torque but that thing didn't miss a beat on the 20 mile drive from 5,000 ft Denver to 14,000 ft Mount Evans.I just might take the same trip with my "d" and see what happens.

Well, I know a guy in the area who'd be happy to meet another d driver, so I'll buy you a beer if you find yourself out this way ;-)

I took mine over trail ridge road last weekend which gets up to 13,000. No loss of performance as far as I could tell.

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that it's also an excellent winter car. Very well insulated (no drafts) and the cold weather package with the heated steering wheel is da bomb.

Dave

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
Quote:
Well, I know a guy in the area who'd be happy to meet another d driver, so I'll buy you a beer if you find yourself out this way ;-)

I took mine over trail ridge road last weekend which gets up to 13,000. No loss of performance as far as I could tell.

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention that it's also an excellent winter car. Very well insulated (no drafts) and the cold weather package with the heated steering wheel is da bomb.

Dave

I might be up for a beer! I run up Berthoud pass periodically, the d is no slouch (not in Eco-pro going up...)

Old 08-25-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328d xdrive
Nice summary. I have 8600 on my 328d M Sport so far and agree with your summary below. Great car!

Quote:
Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Good to hear you like it.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
I believe you'll find any car that has a turbo will suffer no loss of power at altitude. I have an X5 35d rather than a 328d, and am looking forward to my next trip to the rockies dragging the travel trailer. Last time the tow was with a Jeep Libby diesel that had no issue with power loss at 11,000 feet. I'd expect the BMW dual turbo setup to do even better at higher altitude since the maker of single turbo vehicles has to compromise turbo size to reduce throttle lag.

Glad to hear about good experiences with BMW 328d's. Keep 'em coming.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Glad to hear it's working out for you. N4S
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328dx
I love mine too (so far...with a lot less miles on it) but I am very pleasantly surprised with the power/torque. True, my 335d was a bit peppier, but there are so many other things about this one that I really like. I loved my 335d...it was the perfect car when i lived in south FL...right now in the northeast? Not so much...at least not when we are a one car family.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 328d wagon
Just got a 2015 328d wagon a week ago here in Dallas, but I try to travel to Colorado as often as I can in the winter. Traded in a MINI Countryman AWD which was great in 6" snow, but the stock battery was a bit anemic when parking for a while in the higher passes (sub-zero temps). Any report on how the high-intensity 328d battery does, or how hard it is to start the diesel after a few hours parked at -5F?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
@doug_328d, you'll have no problem starting any modern diesel at any temperature above, oh, -40, as long as you've paid attention to having fuel that isn't gelled up.

I've only had a BMW diesel for a couple months, so have never tried to start one in the cold, but I have had a VW diesel and a Jeep diesel for many years with nary a single problem on that score. I grew up in northern Ohio, and drove the VW up there for Christmas one year. I just made sure I filled a nearly empty fuel tank with local diesel about an hour south of my destination to make sure what was in there was fully winterized for that area. Next morning at -33 F, I climbed in, gave the glow plugs 30 seconds to do their thing and it fired right up. No block heater, no hesitation, engine cranked exactly as long as it usually did.

Just don't expect fuel you bought on the southern Texas coast to be ok at 11,000 feet in the dead of a Colorado winter.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_328d View Post
Just got a 2015 328d wagon a week ago here in Dallas, but I try to travel to Colorado as often as I can in the winter. Traded in a MINI Countryman AWD which was great in 6" snow, but the stock battery was a bit anemic when parking for a while in the higher passes (sub-zero temps). Any report on how the high-intensity 328d battery does, or how hard it is to start the diesel after a few hours parked at -5F?
Can't say (yet) about the 328d, but my 335d starts just fine at -5F. There is a 2-3 second delay after hitting Start while the glow plugs fire up, possibly a stumble or two for the first 5 seconds while warm fuel gets to the injectors (heater in the fuel filter).
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I might be up for a beer! I run up Berthoud pass periodically, the d is no slouch (not in Eco-pro going up...)
Drop me a note next time you know you'll be in town.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_328d View Post
Any report on how the high-intensity 328d battery does, or how hard it is to start the diesel after a few hours parked at -5F?
Took mine to Jackson, WY for New Years this year, and had a few starts -10F or below. No problem. The glow plugs barely even kicked on before it cranked and started right up. Cranking speed was normal also.

These cars have a heated fuel filter which prevents any ice crystals from being a problem.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 328d wagon
Appreciation! Saw there was some snow this morning at Berthoud pass so BC ski season is just around the corner...
Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
I will be going over Berthoud pass next weekend. Doubt the snow will still be there, but I will be ready!