Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
First, when we say "1500 over invoice" what this really means is "1500 profit to the dealer".

Do you understand this distinction? (edit: I think you do, but wanted to amplify)

This means you need to compute the dealers "true cost" then add 1500. The "invoice" over on edmunds is not their true cost....they pay maco and training and delivery on top of the 'invoice' of the car and packages- but then they also DON'T pay the $3500 eco credit. So that comes off.

If you are negotiating a trade, you will pay more. Period. The less 'baggage' you have on a deal the higher the odds they will cut a slim deal. Once they know you have a trade it is like running from a mugger with your wife on your arm.... I'd negotiate independently, and go to carmax for the trade. (What is it?)

NOBODY has a 35d. If you are dreaming of finding one on a lot, like you want, at 1500 over, forget it. They will get MSRP for it. Order one.

Finally, the truth is that every dealer (except Niello) has a spectum of 'deals' they will approve. If you are talking to front line sales pukes, they will blow you off to get to the customer who they really want (who will take a sucky deal)...you need to be persistent, spread a wide net and hope to catch someone on a good day.
Ard, thanks for clarifying all of that. I feel better about what they offerred me. They gave me more for my trade in ($2k more than other dealerships), so after doing all the math (I forgot about maco, training), I think the offer was alright. And you're absolutely right about the 35d. I went ahead and ordered it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMC55 View Post
Ard, thanks for clarifying all of that. I feel better about what they offerred me. They gave me more for my trade in ($2k more than other dealerships), so after doing all the math (I forgot about maco, training), I think the offer was alright. And you're absolutely right about the 35d. I went ahead and ordered it.
Congratulations! You are going to love the 35D.

The only thing that "might" give me pause is wondering whether the 2012's will have any meaningful upgrades. (There are rumors that the D will get the 8 speed trans, and maybe even be offered as a 40D instead of the 35D). But there is also a rumor that the Eco Credit is going away on 3/1, and I'm not at all sure the 8 speed 2012 would be worth $3,500 more than the 6 speed 2011.

Make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you submit a credit apop this week, and that the dealer locks financing / leasing rates and the Eco Credit!

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Congratulations! You are going to love the 35D.

The only thing that "might" give me pause is wondering whether the 2012's will have any meaningful upgrades. (There are rumors that the D will get the 8 speed trans, and maybe even be offered as a 40D instead of the 35D). But there is also a rumor that the Eco Credit is going away on 3/1, and I'm not at all sure the 8 speed 2012 would be worth $3,500 more than the 6 speed 2011.

Make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you submit a credit apop this week, and that the dealer locks financing / leasing rates and the Eco Credit!
thanks quackbury! i think i will love the 35d. i keep reading about noise in the 35d, but i'm hoping it's minimal. with none on the lot to drive, i'm hoping this is a smart choice... which i think it is. i was debating whether or not to wait for a 2012, but decided not to since the base price will probably increase and who knows if the eco credit will be around (or reduced). they say the eco credit ends on 2/28, but you never know. that's also what they said about the finance rate 2 years ago and it seems to have stayed for awhile longer than they originally said. i figured it would be better to buy now before all the prices go up and no more eco credit.

i put in a credit application on sunday. is that all i need to make sure everything is locked? i think so... at least that's what the saleswoman said.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
congrats as well!!! You WILL love the 35d! I absolutely love mine and I traded a 997S cab on it! Not a major comparison, but I love driving the d everyday and it puts way more smiles on my face than the other car. I also own a Lexus hybrid that I desperately want to get rid of....I am missing my cab, so I will probably bite the bullet and get another Porsche! Sorry for the aside, but congrats again! Yes, I heard the eco credit will disappear on 3/1!
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I made this xls when I bought the car. Add your options and see the "offer over invoice" and note that "fee" can be different.

this forum helped me a lot. Know what your numbers are and stay in your budget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011X535d.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	267550  
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
congrats as well!!! You WILL love the 35d! I absolutely love mine and I traded a 997S cab on it! Not a major comparison, but I love driving the d everyday and it puts way more smiles on my face than the other car. I also own a Lexus hybrid that I desperately want to get rid of....I am missing my cab, so I will probably bite the bullet and get another Porsche! Sorry for the aside, but congrats again! Yes, I heard the eco credit will disappear on 3/1!
Thanks, JMK! I am really looking forward to getting the car!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I made this xls when I bought the car. Add your options and see the "offer over invoice" and note that "fee" can be different.

this forum helped me a lot. Know what your numbers are and stay in your budget.
thanks for the info. looking at the numbers can get pretty overwhelming. i calculated the numbers two days ago, and it looked fair, but then when i calculated the numbers today, i think i overpaid. someone posted something in this forum saying how people should not worry about overpaying here and there and just be happy to have the car. i am happy that i ordered, but hate to think i may have overpaid!

i ordered the 35d with the premium package, technology package, rear climate package, space saver spare, and ipod. they didn't give me a great price, but i think maybe it's because i had a trade in. they gave me $2k more than another dealership for the trade in, so maybe that's why i didn't get as good a price on the 35d?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
thanks for the info. looking at the numbers can get pretty overwhelming. i calculated the numbers two days ago, and it looked fair, but then when i calculated the numbers today, i think i overpaid. someone posted something in this forum saying how people should not worry about overpaying here and there and just be happy to have the car. i am happy that i ordered, but hate to think i may have overpaid!

i ordered the 35d with the premium package, technology package, rear climate package, space saver spare, and ipod. they didn't give me a great price, but i think maybe it's because i had a trade in. they gave me $2k more than another dealership for the trade in, so maybe that's why i didn't get as good a price on the 35d?
If it's 1K here and there it's ok...If you're spending 55K, you can afford 56K as well. I think I got an ok deal and I'm not good at haggling at all. Some dealers said - What is Invoice, there is nothing like that, we work off of the MSRP.

Finally I got the car because I really wanted it and I'm loving it. Just hope it works great for many years to come and enjoy.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
If it's 1K here and there it's ok...If you're spending 55K, you can afford 56K as well. I think I got an ok deal and I'm not good at haggling at all. Some dealers said - What is Invoice, there is nothing like that, we work off of the MSRP.

Finally I got the car because I really wanted it and I'm loving it. Just hope it works great for many years to come and enjoy.
yeah, the dealer said they don't work off of the invoice. they asked how i even know invoice prices and that no one deals with invoice prices anymore because of the high demand for the car. it's hard to negotiate a deal when there aren't even any cars on the lot and the next person that comes in is willing to pay msrp. basically, the dealer knocked off $500 off msrp, but gave me $2000 more for the trade in (compared to other dealers). so i figure that's like $2500 off msrp. i'm sure i paid high, but at least i'll get the eco credit of $3500. did i get a bad deal? other dealerships told me they can give me $1500 above invoice, but i already gave the other dealer my $1000 deposit. guess it will all work out in the end because this dealer said they'd give me maintenance packages at cost, etc.

but, all in all, if i love the car when i get it, then it'll be worth it. thanks again.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
yeah, the dealer said they don't work off of the invoice. they asked how i even know invoice prices and that no one deals with invoice prices anymore because of the high demand for the car. it's hard to negotiate a deal when there aren't even any cars on the lot and the next person that comes in is willing to pay msrp. basically, the dealer knocked off $500 off msrp, but gave me $2000 more for the trade in (compared to other dealers). so i figure that's like $2500 off msrp. i'm sure i paid high, but at least i'll get the eco credit of $3500. did i get a bad deal? other dealerships told me they can give me $1500 above invoice, but i already gave the other dealer my $1000 deposit. guess it will all work out in the end because this dealer said they'd give me maintenance packages at cost, etc.

but, all in all, if i love the car when i get it, then it'll be worth it. thanks again.
I think 1500 above invoice is a good offer given the market and expiring eco credit.....2500 off MSRP would be a bad deal. Regarding maintenance package (which I learned the hard way) - no need to buy tire warranty worth 1300 or paint protection for 500 from the dealer.

Go to the nearest discount tire and get the tire warranty for 160 dollars. X5 come with bridgestones, michellins, dunlops and not all have road hazard. Mine came with Bridgestones so I got the 160 dollar warranty because there was no road hazard. Read the tire warranty CD carefully. DO NOT buy TIRE warranty from dealer.

Call the other dealer and cancel the deal..I'm sure they will give back 1000 deposit. Before doing this go to the new dealer and sign off on the 1500 over invoice (make sure u tell them u know what the invoice is..edmunds is ur frnd). Make sure you tell the new dealer that you can cancel the deal and not be charged 1000 dollars for it.

If the new dealer accepts the 1500 over invoice deal and the old one gives your 1000 bucks....go for it. Worth trying.

Last edited by smuggymba; 02-24-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Oh please.

Getting $2000 more than the other dealers trade is NOT like getting 2000 off. Did you even bother to evaluate the value of your trade in the marketplace or with carmax?

Maintenance packages at cost? You've GOT to be kidding. Let us know how that works out.

And your 1000 deposit is 100% refundable.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Oh please.

Getting $2000 more than the other dealers trade is NOT like getting 2000 off. Did you even bother to evaluate the value of your trade in the marketplace or with carmax?

Maintenance packages at cost? You've GOT to be kidding. Let us know how that works out.

And your 1000 deposit is 100% refundable.
i priced out a trade-in at kbb and the dealer offerred me a price that matched the "good" rating. i did not check out carmax as there is not one near me.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I think 1500 above invoice is a good offer given the market and expiring eco credit.....2500 off MSRP would be a bad deal. Regarding maintenance package (which I learned the hard way) - no need to buy tire warranty worth 1300 or paint protection for 500 from the dealer.

Go to the nearest discount tire and get the tire warranty for 160 dollars. X5 come with bridgestones, michellins, dunlops and not all have road hazard. Mine came with Bridgestones so I got the 160 dollar warranty because there was no road hazard. Read the tire warranty CD carefully. DO NOT buy TIRE warranty from dealer.

Call the other dealer and cancel the deal..I'm sure they will give back 1000 deposit. Before doing this go to the new dealer and sign off on the 1500 over invoice (make sure u tell them u know what the invoice is..edmunds is ur frnd). Make sure you tell the new dealer that you can cancel the deal and not be charged 1000 dollars for it.

If the new dealer accepts the 1500 over invoice deal and the old one gives your 1000 bucks....go for it. Worth trying.
thanks, i'll see what the other dealer offers me. for the tire warranty, where do you go to get that? would they sell you that warranty even though you did not buy tires from them? what about the paint protection? worth it?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Paint Protection - not worth it, already cancelled mine. Spend that money on clear bra.

Go to any discount tire store and they will sell you warranty certificate for 160 even though you don't buy tires from them. I guess they do that for new cars...But I did it so it works.

Shop around for better deals...don't get stuck with the 1000 deposit, you can get it back.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm thinking of going to another dealership that is offering me a better deal than the one I got. How do I know for sure if the $1000 is fully refundable? Also, I did a trade in at the dealership that I put the $1000 deposit down. If I cancel my order, is the trade in deal a done deal, or can they stick the car back on me?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of going to another dealership that is offering me a better deal than the one I got. How do I know for sure if the $1000 is fully refundable? Also, I did a trade in at the dealership that I put the $1000 deposit down. If I cancel my order, is the trade in deal a done deal, or can they stick the car back on me?
Call and clarify. First go to the new dealer and strike a deal.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Call and clarify. First go to the new dealer and strike a deal.
i'm thinking of doing that right away. i called anonymously to the dealer i put the deposit on. they said it's refundable. but, my question now is what about my trade in? is that a done deal? they already took it. if i cancel my order, can they back out and say they don't want my car anymore? i don't think so, but wanted to be sure. sales people are such sharks.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Wait.

DID YOU SIGN ANYTHING?

if you did, READ IT.

Usually a 'deposit' is refundable UNLESS there is a written contract that says otherwise. If you've given them a car and a pink slip, there has to be an agreement....

Last edited by ard; 02-25-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi
I wonder if the heated rear seats will be available on X5s equipped with the third row.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
i'm thinking of doing that right away. i called anonymously to the dealer i put the deposit on. they said it's refundable. but, my question now is what about my trade in? is that a done deal? they already took it. if i cancel my order, can they back out and say they don't want my car anymore? i don't think so, but wanted to be sure. sales people are such sharks.
you have time...take ur car to the new dealer or to some other dealer or eve to a private dealer. Everyone buys used car. Just take a day off and hop around at various dealers.

Have u signed something with the "current" dealer regarding ur trade in?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
you have time...take ur car to the new dealer or to some other dealer or eve to a private dealer. Everyone buys used car. Just take a day off and hop around at various dealers.

Have u signed something with the "current" dealer regarding ur trade in?
okay, i checked the paperwork. the $1000 deposit should be refundable. the trade-in should be a done deal since i have paperwork saying i sold the car to the dealer already. they still owe me a check for the difference between the trade in value and the amount on the loan. i will call the dealer tomorrow to see when i'm going to get the check.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Boxster S
Not sure where you are in CA....

Quote:
Thanks, JMK. I've checked out these board sponsors and all they want to give me is $1500 over invoice and none of them have the 35d. The dealership that wanted to give me the eco credit off msrp also gave me the highest trade in value. Guess they want to rob me of the credit, but make me feel better by saying they can give more for my trade in. Every dealership I visited in California didn't even have an X5 on the lot... all were ordered and they claimed they sold them as soon as they got them.
But PM me if you are still looking and I can share my details.

I just ordered at 1000 over invoice from a dealer that still has some 2011 35d slots. Since I am leasing and it still has a good residual, I decided not to wait for the 2012's since I fear that the Eco Credit may disappear.

Sticker on mine was $64,375 and I am paying approx. $57,000 (net of Eco Credit).

This was the best I could find in CA.
2004 E320 4Matic Wagon Brilliant Silver/Black
....and way too many 'former' cars to admit to publicly!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:31 AM

We ordered our's 3 weeks ago.

MSRP: 62,975
Net after ECO: 56,200
Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
We ordered our's 3 weeks ago.

MSRP: 62,975
Net after ECO: 56,200
In all honesty I think we left about 500 dollars on the table. I was at the point that I just wanted the deal done. I think we did ok. Could have done better.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPC View Post
But PM me if you are still looking and I can share my details.

I just ordered at 1000 over invoice from a dealer that still has some 2011 35d slots. Since I am leasing and it still has a good residual, I decided not to wait for the 2012's since I fear that the Eco Credit may disappear.

Sticker on mine was $64,375 and I am paying approx. $57,000 (net of Eco Credit).

This was the best I could find in CA.
Thanks MAPC. Which dealer did you order from? I'm in the bay area. I ordered last month and the car is expected to arrive by the end of April. I may have overpaid. You definitely got a better deal. Thanks.